1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Corrosion Inhibitor Test

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Like many of you, I've used a bunch of different corrosion inhibitors on my guns over the years. I decided to conduct a little head-to-head comparison between four of them just to see which ones really work best.

The following four products were tested:

*** Rem-Oil

*** Clenz-Oil

*** Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly called "Shield")

*** Break-Free Collector

This is what the sample bars looked like before the test. Mild, low-carbon steel (1018 cold-rolled), sanded equally with a ScotchBrite belt and cleaned with Lab Solvent...

(Note: Only three test bars appear per picture because two of the products are on opposite sides of a single bar)

-Gary

[​IMG]

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Here's the first picture of what they looked like after the test...

[​IMG]

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Next pic...

[​IMG]

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Next pic...

[​IMG]

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The pictures posted above are straight out of the test chamber after a 125-Hour Salt Fog.

Here they are during the test...

[​IMG]

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Here's what the pitting looked like after a uniform 45 second clean-up using a high-speed wire wheel.

[​IMG]

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

My old favorite Barricade held up quite well, but I have to admit that Break Free's "Collector" outperformed it by a little bit. I first heard of this product only recently, and the guy behind the counter at the gun shop was talking it up so much I was curious to see if he knew what he was talking about. Apparently he did.

I think I'll stick with Barricade for now though. It goes on thin and even (spray) and makes guns smell like thay should! (...with all due respect to Hoppes #9, which I use as cologne, LOL).

Hopefully some of you found this interesting and informative. Questions and comments are welcome. If I didn't test your favorite product, let me know what that is and the next time I'm running corrosion tests maybe I'll give it a try.

-Gary

9. BBob

BBob TS Member

Thanks for sharing the results, quite interesting. Bill

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Gary: Very interesting, Thank You. I wonder how plain old ATF would hold up as that is what I have used for the past 40+ years although I must admit I never did subject any of my babies to that type of abuse, 125hrs.WOW. Thanks Again---Ross Puls

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

By the way, some products were in aerosol spray form and others were pour-top, so I took extra care to apply them evenly. Each was brushed to a similar film thickness with a new, clean lab brush.

-Gary

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ross: I normally run tests like this per UL 50 and go at least 200 hours, but in this case the rust escalated so quickly between 75 & 125 hours that I stopped it early so you could still see a clear difference. The Rem-Oil bar looks bad, but it actually performed pretty well for the first 50 hours. The Clenz-Oil did well for quite a while too.

This is an extremely nasty test, by design, so nobody should conclude that any of these products are bad.

-Gary

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I's like to see the test repeated with the bars finished in blueing.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Brian:

It's funny that you say that -- I wanted to find an old shotgun barrel to chop up into test samples but I didn't have time. Maybe next time.

-Gary

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Gary,

Thanks for the info

Here are two reference sites I often use... The first is from Brownell's and looks at rust prevention - very telling.The second refers to cleaning 'after the fact.'

Both have rather "unexpected" results...

David D

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12616/GunTechdetail/Gun_Cleaning_Clinic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks David. The Brownells article is interesting, especially after having done so much corrosion tests myself over the years. Let me make a few additional comments...

1) When it comes to corrosion testing like this, the UL 50 Salt Fog Test is the Gold Standard for getting useful and repeatable emperical results. It uses an extremely corrosive mixture of humidity, temperature, and salt, and applies it in an even manner. This environment is much more challenging and controlled than simply sitting parts outdoors for a couple days. The extreme and controlled nature of the Salt Fog Test reduces the effects of application variables (i.e. exactly how product was applied) and shows how well the product really works.

2) Brownells is trustworthy and credible as far as I know. Having said that, it's a good policy to always be a little skeptical of product testing that was conducted by people who sell or make those products. When I was younger I quit the best paying job I'd ever had partly because of pressure they put on engineers to "cook" product tests by manipulating our samples and procedures until we got the desired results. This company sold human safety products -- a business where mixing "salesmanship" with science, as they often did, could literally kill somebody. I'd hate to imagine what they would have asked me to do if safety and liability wasn't a factor.

3) The author of the Brownells article made some good points regarding intended use of the product. I mean, you can't fairly compare long-term storage products like heavy grease, Cosmoline or RIG to a product like Barricade or Break-Free which were made to go on thin and allow you to shoot the gun anytime without removing it.

4) People should be very careful using products on guns that weren't developed or recommended for that specific purpose. For example, Brownells tested BoeShield T-9. I LOVE that stuff and use it on machine tools, cast-iron table saw tops, aluminum parts, etc. But it dries to a gunky/waxy residue that I'd be very leery about getting into the moving parts of my guns. It's also important to avoid other types of products that actually attack rust, becuase that might mean they also attack rust bluing.

-Gary

17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Gary,

Thanks for the clarity - I do not doubt what you say.

I was shocked to see the WD-40 perform as well as several of the 'grease' products - the poor severity of the testing not with standing.

I am a big fan of the LPS series of products (when I can find them) - they have one very similar to the T-9.

I have tended to use two products quite a bit (mostly in that I got them in good quantity for little money) - Tetra-Lube products and Super Lube - and have been happy with the lubricity of both - haven't really paid too much attention to the rust prevention side of the coin.

If I can help with testing please let me know - I am sure I can come up with old parts to 'punish' - I was thinking one might try 'cold blue' as well as hot blueing...

David D

18. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Nice study Gary. I suspect they all work reasonably well between shooting sessions if they are used religiously and the guns are stored properly. Long term storage of course is another matter. For years I have used a light coat of Clenz Oil as a final step in my cleaning regime. Nice to see that your study really gives me no reason to make a change, but does provide alternatives.

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It seems to me the salt bath is far beyond what any of these products was intended to do, and therefore not a test that has a practical point to it. Wouldn't the same test with the parts, especially blued steel, simply left hanging exposed to atmosphere outside, sheltered from direct precipitation, or in a basement, or in a soft gun case in a dank closet or car trunk, deliver results that are more in line with the reality of what these products were designed for?
    That was a great test but something closer to the reality of what the products were designed for might be more useful.

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Boeshield was developed for Boeing to coat the interior surfaces of difficult-to-inspect aircraft structures to forestall the onset of corrosion or oxidation. It was never intended as a lubricant or a short term protective coating. It is SUPPOSED to form a wax layer as it dries. It was also intended to be applied by spraying and not by hand. PMS, Inc. did the product a disservice by marketing it to the consumer public in dripper bottles.

MK