1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Correlation between height, arm length, and lop?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Last Sunday I was talking to a friend out at the gun club and he asked me if it was ok to shoulder my gun? I said no problem, and once he shoulder it he said, boy do you take a short stock.

He asked me to mount my gun and he said I can not not believe that your stock fits you. I am 5'8" and take a 34" sleeve length in a dress shirt. My lop is 13".

He said he is also 5'8" tall, and he takes a 32" sleeve length but his lop is 14 1/4 inches.

Another guy said that he felt your height and arm length determine lop. I highly doubt that, as I weigh 100 lbs more than my friend at the same height, although my arms are longer, I virtually have no neck, and am big chested as my chest measures 54".

So what determines someones lop, height, arm length, size of chest, or if the stock just feels right to you, or all of the above?

Also, what's your height and lop to see if indeed there is some time of correlation between height and lop?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Steve,

In my opinion, you hit it on the head when you said "all of the above." Personal preference also plays a role. I probably use an L.O.P. slightly longer than someone else my size might, but I think that it helps me keep the stock tight to my shoulder and my cheek snug on the stock! Different strokes....

Martinpicker

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

How you mount the gun will have just as great an impact on your LOP as your physiology. If you mount the gun high in your shoulder, you will tend to have a shorter LOP than someone who mounts the gun lower (simple geometry).

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Michael Yardley says the stock should be just long enough that your thumb doesn't bash your nose. He's fairly respected international coach and it sure works for me.

JMO YMMV

Charlie

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

But then again you have VERY successful shooters who crawl the stock so much that their cheek is barely still on the comb (I've seen shooters who cheek their thumb, b/c they are so far forward), and VERY successful shooters who's cheek/jaw is almost on the recoil pad. So in the end, the right answer is that there is no right answer.

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Very good question. I have often wondered this my self. I added an adjustable butt plate on my Gold E with out cutting the wood. I have a 15 1/8" LOP now. But since I am 6'5" and have a 37-38" sleeve I figured that length would be ok.

Bryan

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Another aspect, the higher the rib the shorter the LOP.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

How one mounts the gun - in the shoulder pocket - or on the shoulder; and the width of the chest, are likely as important as anything else. Height can be misleading as some folks are very lanky with length in the legs mainly.

9. senior smoke

Phil Berkowitz:
    Why would the higher the rib, the shorter the lop? I don't understand, please explain.
    Steve

Bryan:
    15 1/8 lop, now that's a long lop to me. I once met a guy who was 7 foot tall and was using a standard bt99 stock. Way to short for him. Afterwards he had a custom stock made as it looked like half a walnut tree was attached to his gun. It was so stock heavy, and muzzel lite, that he just could not shoot it that well. If memory serves me right it was about 20 inches +.
    Steve

10. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

Don't forget the neck. I hardly ever see a top shooter who has a neck, well, maybe Jimmy Heller.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

5'-11"....LOP 15 3/8". Everyone's different.

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

5'4'--13 7/8 LOP,no neck to speak of.Been told I have the best body configuration for a good trapshooter.Now,if those darn clay birds would agree,everything would be great.

Doug H.

13. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

A shooters stance can affect LOP as well.

14. senior smoke

So far Setterman has the longest lop of 15 3/8, I seem to have the shortest lop of 13". Interesting, as so far height and lop doesn't seem to have much correlation.
    Steve

15. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

5' 11" 270 lb. I shoot 14 5/8" LOP on mt 1100 trap and BT 99.

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

5"9"--145-150#s--32"sleeve, 15&1\4--1\2 LOP. Seems like any shorter & I get bumped in the nose.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Steve, One of the so called stock expects on here said I must shoot my trap gun "like a rifle" since I was only 5'-11", but shot a 15 3/8" LOP.

I almost busted out laughing. The guy never saw me mount a gun, and he's giving comments. BTW AAA27AA.

Even my sporting and hunting guns are 15 1/8".

Some experts aren't experts.

18. sturgeon

sturgeon Member

I think it also depends upon how 'square on' to the target the shooter stands.

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Most of my trap guns were made for me by Dennis DeVault. He told me about, that higher rib guns can use shorter lops. I feel with a higher rib gun you don't crawl on the stock, with a heads up configeration you can see the rib without leaning forward.

Phil Berkowitz

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Iam 6'1" with 36" sleeves. Length 15.5 on current gun. I mount high, to high on the shoulder. Head up style. Oh, and Iam 165 lbs. Nose real close to thumb. Stock fitter buddy always figured I could go atleast another. 25 in length but this is where she feels right.

When I weighed #330 lbs., my length was 15 1/4" on my guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

arm lenght and height correlation

arm length and height correlation

height and lop

what is the correlation between arm length and height