1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Correcting a negligent mistake ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Correcting a negligent mistake...

I joined the ATA for the first time last August 2011 in order to shoot in a local tournament. Enjoyed it immensely and have since shot in several shoots including the Spring Grand in Tucson. Am having a wonderful time with all the great people I am meeting.

Last year I made the mistake of letting my Handicap yardage be reduced by two yards without appreciating the consequences of it.

I am not expecting to win any titles or trophies. I just want to shoot with all my new trap shooting friends.

With the 2 yard reduction, I am now at the 18 yard line and I find myself assigned to shoot alone most of the time since no one else is on the 18 or even 19 yard line at the shoots I go to. (Even at the Spring Grand there was only one other person on my Handicap squad.) If I was back on the 20, I would be able to shoot with the 20, 21, and 22 yard line folks who make up a lot of people. I would never be shooting alone.

To take valuable time off from work and travel 500+ miles round trip to then just shoot alone is no fun. It isn't just the time on the line alone, it is that there is not the same conversation for the rest of the weekend with the folks who were on your squad and re-tell again how you missed a straight-away on the last bird to once again fail to get your first 50 Straight. Yes, being a part of that conversation is fun.

My business keeps me traveling all the time and I know that I am not going to earn my way back to the 20 yard line anytime soon. I shoot mostly in the 88 to 92 score range. I have taken three clinics from nationally-recognized trainers. But without the time to practice, realistically I am not moving back soon. But I would like to shoot with the people I shot with when I first joined ATA a year ago.

If I were to let my ATA membership lapse and then rejoin, would I be able to start on the 20 yard line again and shoot with my friends ?

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Find out who your delegate is and ask to be moved back, or call the ATA and ask about the process.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You can petition to be moved back as far as the 25 yard line. Basically you ask and they review the request. I see no reason you would be denied. I believe if you do so you must stay there for two years meaning you will be offered no reductions. Of course a punch will always gain you yardage regardless of how you got where you are. As for your question of letting your membership lapse, the answer is no.

As Setterman above stated, contact your Delegate or call the ATA office and tell them your desires.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Don't know, but I do know that you can contact your zone rep and request an increase back to your original 20 yd hdcp. I did that several years ago from 20 to 23 so I could shoot with my friends, well 1 died--2 moved--and 1 quit shooting all in the same year and before I ever got to shoot with them, so consequently I'm now at the 23 yd line and haven't fired a shot at a registered hdcp tgt yet. Also no reduction will be offered until I've shot 1000 tgts which isn't too likely to happen (for me), as my wife had cancer and I've just about quit shooting registered. I'm NOT complaining because I wouldn't break anymore if they did give me a reduction to the 18 or anywhere else for that matter, I just don't shoot enough anymore. But it is something you should consider. Ross Puls

5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

First, thanks for the information concerning that "it can be done". Appreciate your replies.

As a very new ATA shooter (joined in August 2011) and having at the time of the reduction offer only shot in one tournament... and having thought about it for less than a couple of minutes... did not understand or appreciate the consequences of the action or in-action. Did not really think much about it one way or the other.

Am currently overseas on business. Will send in my ATA number when I get back to the States.

Wayne, do I send that information to you via PM ?

Or do I call the ATA office ?

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You could also try reading the online rulebook which explains the process...

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well I'm not sure I would send my info to wayneo. Unless he is your State Delegate(which he's not) or works on the ATA Handicap Committee(which he doesn't) I see no gain in sending your info there.

I and several others told you the proper route to take above. Yes, call the ATA office and talk to Kathy Key. I believe she still handles the Handicap issues. You can also contact your State Delegate although the ATA Office route will be much easier.

8. DJSims

DJSims Member

When the reduction was offered, I was advising many shooters to only drop to 19 yards. The 18 yard line is a difficult yardage to fill, and the one yard between posts is even tougher to accomplish, when the shooters show up one at a time, and have 'favorite' starting posts.

I would encourage shooters to only drop to the 19, and I can assure them that if they cannot hit the target from the 19, the one yard will not get them another target.

Do see your delegate, and even requesting your return to the 19 can be accomplished. Looking forward to seeing you at the Spring Grand in Tucson

Doug Sims

9. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Check your PM.

10. millerm12

millerm12 Member

You might be able to move back also by your" known ability" I believe if some of your friends vouch in your behalf you can be moved back by that alone. But it's been some time since I've read the rules so I may be wrong. Just something to check out also. Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.