1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

correct trap shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like what you are doing is working just fine. HMB

2. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Bubba,

Correct Trap Shooting is what breaks targets.....for YOU. If you are averaging 90+ targets and have only been at it 2 months, I wouldn't change a thing.

Others will tell you different. You will hear about proper this, and proper that, and don't start bad habits. Experiment, but don't change because you shoot differently than "the norm". If change helps, then change. Don't fix what's not broke.

3. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Two things:
    1) break the bird
    2) 25 chips and chunks beats 24 smoke and powder.

With 23s to 25s you are doing that. Everything else will come with time and practice.

4. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

Thank you Coveybuster,
    Your comments are greatly appreciated. I do seem to be breaking birds ok. I shot a 96 in my first tournament last wk. but im new and i hear a lot of stuff as far as form and aiming points and how you gun should be set up. I dont know wheather to experiment or just keep shootin. About how long does it take to figure all this stuff out? In the beginning stages its all a little confusing,so any advise is greatly appreciated THANKS, Bubba

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Come to our club and you can give lessons.

Ed Yanchok

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Just keep up what you are doing. It works so why change.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The difference between "aiming" which would be focusing on the front bead leaving the target a blur in your vision, and "pointing" which has you focus intently on the bird but still sense or see the front bead in your peripheral vision is what others are trying to get across to you. I'll wager that, with your scores at such an early time, you are really using the second technique more than you think. Aiming as if a rifle, will lead to stopping the gun's swing, shooting behind lots of sharp angle birds, and even raising the head too early. However, if you really believe you are "aiming," I wouldn't mess with success for the moment....breakemall......Bob Dodd

8. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

Thanks Bob now i think i understand what everyones been talking about and thanks everyone for all your comments. They are all greatly appreciated!Trapshooters.com feels like a band of brothers or sisters THANKS

9. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

All that free advice that is floating around the gun club can be worth you you pay for it. Nothing.

If you have the opportunity, take a class from one of the traveling Pros as they will save you years of experimentation .

The main thing is to develope good fundemental shooting form and procedure.

Bob gave you good advice.

It sounds like you are off to a good start.
    The main thing is to go with what works for you and then refine your techique as you progress.

ed

10. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

One of the keys to learning to shoot a shotgun is pouring as much lead down a shotgun barrel as you can.
    With your scores you are really getting after it.
    Just try to learn from your misses/mistakes and try to know why they happened.

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Since your shooting well its time to buy as new trap gun and other trap junk.

12. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

1) It sounds like mentally you're ready to move the sport to the next level. If you can, find "a" good mentor or coach in your area, you will benefit greatly working with one person.

2) You could benefit from one of Phil Kiner's classes since your closer to him than the other pros.

Here's his contact information:
    http://www.philkiner.com/
    pkiner@philkiner.com

The comment probably came from someone you beat, but I've seen quite a few good rifle shots run good scores.

Enjoy the sport,
    TNCoach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.