1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

correct placement of mib-rib bead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmdmt, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmdmt

jmdmt TS Member

wanting to install a mid-rib bead on shotgun, 28". After measuring several other guns, all factory installed, it does not appear that they go in the middle as the name states. A few are close, and on the longer barrels, two inches differance. So whats the rules, guidelines etc.
    Thanks in advance
    Jim Darling, MT

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Usually the exact center of the rib does not work out, you need a post location to drill the hole in most cases.

I put mine forward of center where there is a post to drill. If you look at 1100's they seem the most comfortable to me and they are forward of center.

HM

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After you have adjusted the height of your comb so you are getting center hits, you can then find the spot to put the center bead. Mount the gun and sight down the rib, place the bead so you get the sight picture that you desire. Most people set it so the beads are stacked. HMB

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Best place to put it is in the trash can........

Ken Rucker

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

hmb is right if you need a center bead. Ruck is right if your gun fits you.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's not real critical, I just looked at the shotguns that were handy (Beretta 687 32/34 unsingle combo, Remington 11/87, Ruger Red Label).......it varies, some are centered on a post others ain't, some are slightly foreward of center one (the 34" unsingle) was slightly aft of center. All were "sort'a" in the middle. More critical is that the bead be located exactly centered on the rib side-to-side.

John C. Saubak

7. jmdmt

jmdmt TS Member

well gentleman I have received a few very interesting answers, all seem to have some merit. I guess maybe we need a litte help. Trying to help establish a repeatable/consistent mount for my daughter so then we can start the fitting process. According to all the great gods if you can not mount the gun the same way more than once in a row you will never be able to fit it. That was the reason for going the mid-bead route.Please Help. Thank You,Jim Darling

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW,

Remington installed the mid bead on my 28" 11/87 centered on a post exactly 13 1/2" from the front bead.

I installed the mid bead on my 28" Ruger Red Label between posts exactly 14 1/2" from the front bead.

Both seem to work equally well, I think you'll find some variation in the distance depending on manufacturer and barrel length.

John C. Saubak

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

My thinking is have her shoot a few patterns at 13-16 yards with out a rest, to see how consistent her mount is right now and where she is shooting.

If she really needs a reference now then just do the 13 1/2 inches from the front bead over a post.

She will be best served if the bead is placed to get a figure 8 (stacked) picture of the beads after the gun is fitted to her.

JMHO Jason

10. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

jmdmt, Have your daughter mount her gun and take a large headed straight pin and move it on the rib until she sees a figure 8 or whatever sight picture she likes. Then drill it, tap it and install it. It will be set for her.Hope this helps. George

11. Barry

Barry Member

Once you decide you want to do this, it's easiest if you take a round ball of clay about 1/16" and move it up and down the rib until you get the figure 8 you are looking for. Then just mark that spot.

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I agree with Ruck. If the gun fits properly, you shouldn't need one.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The mid bead can be an important part of the gun. Its function is to make sure the shooter is looking straight down the barrel (mid bead and front sight aligned). A new shooter will want to check this alignment nearly every shot at first. Leo H. suggests checking this alignment every 5-10 shots. I don't consciously check the alignment, but if I mount my gun incorrectly, it jumps out. If my mid bead breaks off during a shoot (some gun racks eat mid beads) I would not be concerned but I would replace it before the next shoot.

Based on measuring several barrels I have, a 28 inch barrel should have the mid bead around 11.5 to 12 inches from the chamber end of the barrel. Configuring the mid bead to the front bead is not important. The two beads do not have to form a figure 8 to insure alignment.

The mid bead and front sight are both an aid and a hindrance. It is not easy to glance at the bead alignment and then move your focus from the sights to the bird.

Pat Ireland

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"(some gun racks eat mid beads)".......THAT's the truth!

After breaking off a mid bead that I'd red loc-tited in, now I'm VERY careful when I place my gun in or remove it from those Trap Club gunracks!

John C. Saubak

15. spritc

spritc Active Member

A figure 8, you don't need no stinking figure 8. Most of us wouldn't even know what one looks like, nor would we want to.

16. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

If find that working about beads on your barrel tend to make you miss more targets.

Beads are nothing more than a point of reference that should be looked at never when shooting at a clay target.

Ronbo

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

FIGURE 8 went out with fiber wads.

NEVER try to get the figure 8. God, I wished that term was never "invented."

I tend to agree with Ruck and don't use one, in fact, one of these days all the comp guns will come without any. They are nothing but a distraction. IF THE GUN IS FIT TO YOU, no beads are necessary.

IMHO.

Whiz

18. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I use the mid bead to assure I have mounted the gun as near as possible to the same as last shot. Being consistent helps run that 100 straight. I would be lost without one and I have a lot of space between mine, (no figure 8). Do what works for you. To each their own. Ray.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
add mid bead to shotgun
adding a center bead on a shotgun rib
center bead on shootguns
mid bead installation

mid rib bead

mid rib bead purpose on shotgun

position of a mid bead on a shotgun

shotgun mid bead placement