1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootinbubba, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

I thought PB and 7625 were both a porous based powder am i correct? If there is a difference what is it?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yes, they are both Porus Based powders.

Yes, both are VERY 'stretchable' powders, and there is substantial overlap in their capabilities & characteristics.

SR7625 is a little slower and a little lower pressure.

Both work pretty-much identically, but because of volume differences, you have to change wads, usually.

Difference(s):

- It takes a snuff-can of PB to make a load; it takes a tea-cup of 7625.

- If your auto is prone to cycling problems on lite loads, stay away from 7625. PB is slightly better in most autos, but that is NOT a given. If you shoot 1oz, 1140fps loads, there are much better powders for reliable cycling than either PB or 7625.

- If you are shooting classic guns, and especially damascus guns, 7625 is your new BestFriendForever.

- If you shoot 1¼oz or 1-3/8 for games, pick'em; for 1½oz, it 7625. (but, 4756/Herco/Longshot/800X/Blue Dot are a better choice for both of the heavies, anyhow)

- Both work 28ga through 12, however you can make some awesome 'light' 10ga & 8ga (shhhh) loads with 7625.

There IS substantial overlap in their capabilities, yes, and when I can't find PB, I use 7625 with no issue. Both are pretty special powders in that if you only want to have ONE powder for (high quality) lite-to-heavy in all gauges, no other powder(s) offers that flexibility.

Bob

3. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

How is it in the cold?(7625)

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

All powders are affected by 'cold' ... and the obvious question is, 'How cold is COLD?'

I have never done the 'freezer test' on bullets - several here have, like Quickshot - but I shoot seaduck up-east, and have shot in some mighty miserable conditions in January ... like shushy saltwater and 0º, and have never had a pooky load of either PB or 7625, and they still hit like Thor's hammer.

Both PB & 7625 (and 4756 + Longshot) are among the least affected by lower temps, including, maybe 'cold'.

One of the Alaska shooters would be a better source of real data & experience, I think.

Where are you and what is 'cold'?

Bob

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Neil ran a cold weather test on a few powders some time back. I believe 7625 was one of them. Maybe he'll put the numbers up here again?

Ajax

6. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

Bob, Im in Idaho but i just started shooting in feb of this year and was just wondering what to expect in the winter, Thanks Bubba

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Bubba, what are you wanting to shoot-at and what kind of hulls do you prefer?

I probably have a couple of built&tested loads for you, but they are mostly no-tox waterfowl hunting stuff.

If it is just (mainly, mostly) trap and skeet you are going to be shooting, look at Alliant's e3 and American Select. They are, both, very cold-tolerant, and cost abt $100, as opposed to $150 for PB & 7625.

90% of the problems & issues with shooting in cold weather are solved by using a Federal primer, BTW.

Bob

8. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

Federal Primer? Interesting Thanks Bob. Bubba

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Well, don't use clays in the cold, unless you want a lot of bloopers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.