1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Correct me if I'm wrong

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mac V, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Somebody has been misinterpreting the data...while the number of crimes may have risen, the crime rates have fallen, including the one for armed robbery...<I>Snopes.com</I>

Mike

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

They only read what they want to read.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It has now been over 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Astralian taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The frst year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.

Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not
    and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed
    robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12
    months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the
    ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has
    decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in
    successfully ridding Australian society of guns.

The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

4. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

This is good info. What is your source?

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The only sure thing is that you can trust Media to foment hysteria at all opportunities.

Truth takes a back seat to how big a splash they can make. It's jpure and simple one-upmanship.

I can hardly wait for Jesse and Al to add their $.02.

HM

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

It seems all of Europe and Australia have taken their shots at the need for restrictive gun control in the U.S. as of Monday. The UN would have started gun grabbing years ago and we'll have to get past this new hurdle too....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Absolutely, the UN has been pushing for the US to eliminate personal firearm ownership for years. Thank goodness for the NRA and NSSF for there rigid stance protecting our second amendment rights and the right to manufacture arms.

Jay

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

The source of the figures in grnberetc's post is the letter from an Aussie policeman that "Snopes" uses to illustrate how reality has been distorted by a selective omission of facts. Checks the "Snopes" link.

Mike

9. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Mac V is correct, snopes check it out. I also know of more than a few Aussies that left Oz because of police overbearance. Looks like more and more orgs have their agenda to further against our 2nd.

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Paul,

Read what you wrote, will you please?

If these "liberals" are "anti-gun" as you contend, why the hell would they even bother to write a piece that refutes the argument that gun control in Australia led to huge rises in crime. Why would they present their statistics in a way that proves guns NOT to be the source of crime in Australia and shows that the removal of some types of guns from the hands of Australians has NOT lead to a wholesale increase in gun-related crimes.

If you want to make an argument, at least make sense first!

Mike

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

those ph---cking weenies in France didn't have a problem when my FATHER landed on Normandy to save their asses because they were too weak to save their own in WWII

12. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Paul,

If you follow the related links out of Snopes, you'll see that the Australian government provided the stats that are the basis for Snopes rebuttal of the letter. Snopes hasn't taken a stand on gun ownership and I would be disappointed if they did. They have simply pointed out that the information collected by the Australians themselves proves the inaccuracy of the pro-gun argument. It's not a matter of whether or not I believe what the Mikkelsons say about gun crime it's a matter of whether or not I believe the Aussies whim they quoted...and that I do.

Mike

13. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The statment about the United Nations is abosolutly true! The United Nations would never be able to send in its TROOPS to the United States because the poplation is armed. Say the members of the UN got together and said "We don't like the way your country is run Mr. President so we are going to send in our PEACE KEEPERS to force a regime change." Guess what UN troops become the number one targets of every gun owner in America.

Ronbo

14. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Mac V,

I take it that you do not own a gun nor do you want me or anyone else to own a gun, am I correct in that assumption?

Some stats that I heard on the Glenn Beck radio show this morning that are never reported by the Anti-Gun media. THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF VIOLENT CRIMES STOPPED IN THIS COUNTRY EVERY YEAR BECAUSE A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN USED A GUN…. 500,000. COMMUINTIES THAT HAVE NOT IMPLAMENTED STRICT LOCAL GUN CONTROL LAWS HAVE A SUGNIFICANTLY LOWER CRIME RATE INVOLVING GUNS THAN THOSE CITIES OR COMMUNITIES OF SIMILAR DEMOGRAPHICS THAT HAVE IMPLAMENTED THEIR OWN STRICTOR GUN LAWS.

Did you know that in this country knives are used 40 times more often in domestic violent crime then guns are? So Mac V why are you not making an argument for knife control?

As for this case, I’m not sure how this guy got through the existing gun control laws. In 2005 this guy was interviewed by law enforcement and was sent to a mental hospital for evaluation. The result of the evaluation was a restraining order. So how is it that a person that had a known mental problem and had a restraining order placed against him was able to pass the background check to purchase a handgun? We don’t need stricter gun laws we just need to fire some incompetent employees of various governmental agencies that rendered the current laws inept.

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Gee, Snopes trusting the Australian government for gun related violence statistics. How conveniently unbiased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.