1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Correct grammar for those who may need it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Trapmanjohn, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

For those who may need it, please use it...because some people make judgements, favor or not, based on your ability to write.

[​IMG]

2. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Thanks. For the most part communication is the key here on Trapshooters and often times I find myself making mistakes in my haste to respond, as do others. I say post it and we'll ignore the typos and light errors to get to the gist of what you're saying. Errors and typos are pointed out sometimes to
    distract away from the topic.
    Pointing out errors is ok but not if it keeps people from posting.

3. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

A spell check feature on Trapshooters.com would be nice.

Hit 'em hard,

John

4. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

In haste, it wouldn't be used. But I was surprised that it wasn't automatic.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . And a spelling checker would not help in Tmj's examples.

Neil

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

The errors can be fun sometimes. I had one bad transaction on Gunbroker, and in response to my negative feedback, the seller said, "... on some sites a comment like that and your gone!"

I responded, "My gone what?"

Danny

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Trapmanjohn,

It is "judgements" not "judgments". Hmmm, perhaps you should have used your own advice. Spell Check is a wonderful tool. :)

8. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

Tmj might be short a comma, and perhaps the ellipsis might be used incorrectly both by definition and application.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Matt, good catch. Click the link ^^^^^^ for Iespell. Works in any browser.

Once installed, right click in your text box, and left click "Check Spelling".

But as Neil pointed out, it can't tell the difference between- to, too, and two.

Wayne

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

11. pca7ggr

pca7ggr Member

When I was a product manager, I was doing some meeting minutes. I mistakenly typed "tits development" instead of "its development". Microsoft WORD recognized "tits" as a real word and the minutes went out uncorrected to 40+ team members.

Only one member caught the error - a female coworker who had small breasts. When I got back from XMas break, she'd sent me an email. It read, "If your doing "tits development", count me in!

I had to contact her to ask why she had emailed me. The company I worked for did not take sexual harassment lightly - ;>).

12. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hi grntitan,

Thanks for correcting me. I was afraid that would happen in my post !

Hit 'em hard,

John

13. Neil Winston

Matt, so say you! Open Word ® and type "judgement" and you will see that it is flagged as an error. Amazingly, "judgment" is not.

I guess "Judgement" is considered a "variant" though I'm sure we learned it the other way in school. As I surf, I think a see a pattern of Biblically-based texts using "Judgment" as in "Judgment Day" and the other spelling generally used in other contexts.

Neil

14. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Sadly, a University in Virginia handed out degrees in 2012 & 2013 with "Virginia" and "therefor" spelled incorrectly, no one noticed in 2012....

Of course being good little liberals, they blamed it on computer error and George W. Bush...;-)

Bob Schultz

15. Neil Winston

Bob, aren't there two missing commas too? One after "University" and one after "Virgina (sic)?"

To say nothing of how "Media Studies" gets a Bachelor of Science degree.

"Media Studies

Advertising (Concentration)

Journalism (Concentration)

Production Technology (Concentration)"

Neil

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

From perusing the "Threads" and responses, it is certainly easy to ascertain those that did not pay attention nor follow do diligence while attending school.

It's shameful that the educational system has strayed far from the "3 R's Principle!

Curt

17. Smoke 1

Smoke 1 Banned User Banned

I like how Paula Deen described herself at the end of her interview with Matt Lauer, "I is what I is."

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The misuse of the words in Trapmanjohn's post is not about spelling and punctuation. It is all about literacy. People aren't making those mistakes because of spelling errors.

19. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I heard a term the other day that I've never heard. Intellectual arrogance? That goes along way for me in describing our current state of affairs in our political correct world we live in???

20. Neil Winston

"due," Curt.

Neil