1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cornhusker High School Trap Shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Let's get a thread going on the shoot. Today the Junior High Kids shot, around 500 of them. They shot 100-16's & there were 2-99's. Don't know who the winner was, but the runner up was John Grubbs of Lincoln.

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Back to the top for a great shoot...

I was part of the 1984 Lincoln Southeast High team that walked off with the singles championship that year - 455 out of 500! And I mean we walked away with it...nearest team was about 13 or so behind us.

Today, 455 wouldn't even get you in the room with the trophies! Kids sure have come a long ways - of course, most of us were shooting field guns back then. I was the only one on the team with a "real" trapgun - a left handed 870TB trap. And we were all envious of the one kid that had an over/under from the Lincoln East team, LOL.

I ran the third field and the first 24 on the last trap to end up with a 95, one out of the shootoff at 96 for champion. Again, today that score wouldn't even be close....

Fell apart in the 'caps - back then, your handicap yardage was your singles score divided by 4, so i was on the 23 yard line. shot something like 86 and p*ssed away the HOA. Don't know how they do it today..

Ah, the memories...BTW, we had 300 kids that day. Don't they have well over 1,000 HS shooters now?

Ah, the memories.

3. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

A sub-junior team of 7th and 8th graders from Norris High shot a blistering 474 and finished 1st in their division. One of the 99's came from this squad

Edit:

The team lost a target that was improperly scored, so the official score was 473

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Good shooting considering the weather and it's going to get worse before it gets better from the way it sounds. Think I'll go watch the seniors shoot tomorrow. Good luck to all the shooters. Steve

5. husker

husker Member

Lincoln Northstar HS will be shooting on squads 252 and 253 this afternoon. If squads are full, and they likely are, thats over 12,500 shooters. Add the Junior High kids and that's quite a shoot.

100 straights aren't outright winners anymore. Stay around for the shootoffs.

Roger Hudson, Coach

6. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

The Junior High winner was Wyatt Lanik (99), defeating John Grubbs (99), in a shoot off

Great shooting!

The team is strongly considering a trip to Sparta in August.

7. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

We need a report on the Senior high bunch Husker!

8. thefullmonte

thefullmonte TS Member

Just reading a bit about what Ljunatic was posting regarding the Junior high shoot. I was fortunate enough to witness the 473 that the Norris squad posted. Their entire squad placed in the top 20 out of 462 shooters and 99 squads. The squad closest to their score was -38 @ a very respectable 436. To watch a group of 12/14 year old kids come together and see their confidence grow as it did during that shoot was a once in a lifetime experience. The 5 kids involved were Wyatt Lanik (99/1st overall), Kyle Essink (97/4th overall), Devin Huesinkvelt (95/9th overall), Harry Harner (91/18th overall, & Kyle Tenhulzen (91/19th overall). Since my son, Harry, was involved, I'm probably a little biased and grandiose in my thinking..... but, has anyone ever heard of or seen a higher score shot by a squad of non-select sub junior shooters?

9. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

the full monte???

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I believe there were 4 100's in the Senior shoot yesterday in some pretty bad weather. I left before the shootoff's,but they were shot in the wind and snow. Briar Jewel, one of my students of several yrs. ago, shot one of the 100's.(his first) Congrats Briar.

I left before the HDC. was over today, but the first 50 or 60 squads shot in some pretty cold weather and a strong North wind. The day continued to warm and winds subsided a little and scores were rising with the temp. A 96 was high when I left. Squad 140 was the last to be posted. They still had many squads to shoot.

Quite a sight to see 1400 + kids doing their best in adverse conditions. I think congratulations are in order for all who participated. KEEP AT IT KIDS--BETTER DAYS AHEAD!

Steve Elliott

11. thefullmonte

thefullmonte TS Member

Anyone got any information on the results at the cornhusker? Our wonderful Lincoln paper saw fit to print a couple of small paragraphs on the bottom of page 6 with no results for the 1800+ Jr/Sr high who shot.

12. tachyon

tachyon Member

A few results. During the awards Saturday, Rocky stated that there were 1681 shooters.

Weather was a significant factor for both the junior high shoot on Thursday and the high school shoot on Friday and Saturday. Friday's shootoffs were during a sleet/snow mix in 30+ mph winds. Saturday morning was below freezing with wind gusts over 40 mph. By late Saturday afternoon it was sunny warm and winds died down to about 15 mph.

Friday Singles: (100 targets)
    1. Travis O'Connell Lincoln Pius 100
    2. Calub Wagner Franklin 100
    3. Hunter Lanka Ogallala 100
    4. Brian Jewell Gibbon 100
    5. Doug Beebe Western NE Trap 99
    6. Scott Banahan Fairbury 99
    7 Jordan Hueskinvelt St. Paul 99
    8. Taylor Dietlein Garden County 98
    9. Cole Bures Deller 98
    10 Dillon Rishcling Exeter Milligan 98

Ladies
    1. Sheena Mahloch Tri-County 99
    2. Ari Bowhay Scottsbluff 99
    3. Tabor Riebesell Rock Port 97

Teams
    1. Garden County Oshkosh 481
    2. scottsbluff 479
    3. Western Kansas 468

Ladies teams
    1. Republican Valley
    2. papillion South
    3. Ord

Handicap next.

Any mistakes are mine. My paper got wet in the snow/sleet Friday night and some was hard to read.

13. tachyon

tachyon Member

Overall: (will do handicap after I get things organized).

Cornhusker Cup Winner: Jeremy Denny Fremont 194/200
    2. Caleb Stapaules Fairbury 193
    3. Dallas Shoemaker Norris 192

Ladies
    1. Ari Bowhay Scottsbluff 190
    2. Ashley Nau Western NE 189
    3. Stephanie Gardeman Fremont 184

Teams
    1. Fremont 891
    2. Scottsbluff 889
    3. Grand Island Northwest 895

4-H teams
    1. Republican Valley 878 (I think) (Hastings NE)
    2. Karp & Crow 871 (Ord NE)
    3. Oak Creek 871 (Brainard NE)

Ladies
    1. Papillion South 813
    2. Republican Valley
    3. Ord

14. tachyon

tachyon Member

Handicap:

1. Jeremy Denny Fremont 97
    2. Jon Schriner Red Cloud 97
    3. Tim Warta Wilber Clatonia 96

Ladies
    1. Ashley Nau Scottsbluff 96
    2. Ari Bowhay Scottsbluff 91
    3. Stephanie Gardeman Fremont 89

18-19
    1. Spencer Asher Waverly 95
    2. Darren Vacek Roncalli 94
    3. Garrett tooker Oak Creek 92

20-21
    1. Keith Hartley Beatrice 96
    2. Dillon Petrizilka (sp) Oak Creek 93
    3. Richard Durrand Lincoln East 93

22-23
    1. Tye Smith McCook 95
    2. Devin Herrick Republican Valley 94
    3. taylor Cieslik Oak Creek 93

24-25
    1. Dallas Shoemaker Norris 96
    2. Caleb Stapaules Fairbury 96
    3. Mark Nolette Republican Valley 93

Teams
    1. Lincoln Northstar 444
    2. Beatrice 443
    3. Wilber Clatonia 441

4-H
    1. Oak Creek 454
    2. Republican Valley 445
    3. Karp & Crow 437

Ladies Team
    1. Wilber Clatonia 398]
    2. Ord 387
    3. Marian 385

15. husker

husker Member

Glad you asked, ljunatic,

The Oak Creek and Republican Valley 4-H teams opted for the respective 4-H trophies which left the door open for the Lincoln Northstar HS team to take the first place Handicap Team trophy.And they are ecstatic. Ben Barnes, Brad Hodgin, Brian Masat, Tyler Sylvester and Lucas Barnes learned that you NEVER GIVE UP and that breaking the NEXT TARGET is the only one that matters.

They have been a real pleasure to coach and after several close finishes they finally put up the scores to win a big one.

I heard anywhere from 1660 to 1780 participants. Rocky knows best. Throw in a few thousand parents, grandparents, Game and Parks workers, NTA staff, vendors and onlookers and you have a pretty big mudhole in the parking lot.

Despite the increased costs of shells, equipment, gas and etc., trapshooting is not dead or dying in Nebraska.

Thanks to all who helped.

Roger Hudson

16. tachyon

tachyon Member

My best team memories will be the two girls who shot their first 25 straight at the meet and the 10 girls who shot personal bests in less than ideal conditions.

The best memory will be when Bob Metzler came off the line after the 16 yard shootoffs. Bob helped with all the shootoffs during the meet. It was snowing, sleeting and very windy. His glasses had icicles coming off the frames. His dedication and that of the other volunteers from the NTA and Nebraska Game and Parks makes this a very special shoot.

17. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

I just wanted to say how great it was to see so many KIDS shooting! WOW. Bryan and I went up just to watch and experience the High School shoot this weekend and see friends etc.......WOW! Everyone should be very proud of their kids. It was a wonderful group of kids that shot in TOUGH conditions and I saw lots of smiles! I believe they said there were over 1800 kids there during the 3 days??

congratulations to the winners......

Lorna Hull.......and Bryan too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cornhusker high school trap shoot