1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Corn or nuts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by psfive, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psfive

psfive Member

OT. OK it's way off topic. But I still want to know. When you you run brass in your tumbler. What do you prefer corn cob or nut shell media? Why? Paul in Nebraska.

2. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Cornnuts................Sorry,I'm a wiseass

D.P.Reynolds

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Walnut seems to work faster for me. But I know there are different sizes and different polish they add. That might make a differance.

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Nuts; and no clue why. Someone said they were better (maybe 50 years ago) and that's all I've ever used.

5. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Nuts from a sandblasting supply company, very cheap....Grubby

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If the brass is heavily discolored, The Walnut shell will clean it faster. It also tends to make a little more dust. Corn cob will end up with a better shine. It really does not matter, the firearm does not care. Either media form really needs treated with a polish to get the best results. Dillon Precision sells a polish additive that really works and makes brass shiney. Frankford arsonal brass polish (from midwayUSA) works fine also, clean but not as shiney. I have used several other brands but they didn't work any better and were a lot more expensive.

Don't let anyone talk you into kitty litter. Yes, it clean the cases, but you never get that fine clay dust out of everything.

7. psfive

psfive Member

I have both, never used the nut shells before only corn media. I think in order to use kitty litter I would need to be nuts. I was just wondering what the thought were out there. Paul in Nebraska.

8. TC

TC TS Member

Walnut hull to clean, cob to polish. Have always used both.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Walnut. Corncob left too much dust for my liking, unless you change it more often, negating any savings in price.

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Walnut hulls with a capfull of Nu-Finish auto polish.

11. psfive

psfive Member

I have always used Brasso in my media. Never heard of Nu-Finish. Paul in Nebraska.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have never used Brasso, but some warn that anything with ammonia attacks the brass and causes cracks. In my mind, I cannot see how the tiny bit that would even touch the case could hurt anything, but people seem to think it is important.

I remember the 60's and 70's when hardly anyone cleaned their cases. Those old target pistol shooters shot that filthy old Hercules Bullseye powder, with bees wax lubed cast lead bullets. The pistols would be filthy, their hands would be filthy and the cases were stained almost black. They seemed to shoot a lot of really impressive small groups on their targets too. I can remember them openly laughing at guys who cleaned their brass. Now if you see a man without shiney cases, he is considered below par. Times change.

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I have a fairly large vibrating case cleaner, walnut hulls get dusty quick in it, cob with some polish mixed in works for me.

14. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

Walnut. Buy it from the local pet supply store.

I like to add a little paste car wax to it. It's the fine abrasives in the wax that really polish the brass.

I'm thinking about adding a little rubbing compound to the tumbler next time. Wonder how that will do?

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cob with a squirt of brass polish. Works for me, I like them shiny. Once in a while I have to pick out some cob stuck in the primer pocket.

16. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Do they make a tumbler big enough for 4-500 12 ga hulls?

17. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Yea...........a small concrete mixer.....YUKYUK

18. porky

porky TS Member

When you put abrasives in the cleaning media, you are thinning the cases as well as cleaning them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.