1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Corey Cogdell

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by eagles11, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Corey won the Bronze medal today in Ladies Trap. She is the first to win a medal for the USA this Olympics and is the first US lady to win in trap since it was introduced for the 1996 games.

She was tied for third after the qualification rounds and shot a 17 in the final. three other ladies also were tied with Corey to set up a four way shoot off for the bronze. Corey drew the fourth position in the shootoff. When all other ladies missed their first shot Corey drove home the bronze medal with a hit and made history.

Corey has been on a meteoric rise since 2006 in ladies trap coming from nowhere to make the Olympic team earlier this year. She was 8 targets back after the fall selection match of 2007 and made up the ground and passed all others to make the team at the spring match in Kerrville, Texas.

It will be fun to watch as Corey improves over the next four years!!

Nice job Corey!!

Jack Burch

2. textrap

textrap TS Member

I watched the video on NBC's website and had a poor connection. Was her last hit a chip? I never saw the target before or after she shot. Talking about a high pressure situation!
    Billy

3. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Sad though that VERY FEW people here in america are even AWARE of it. The coverage on the tube may mention the win in passing. Probably will not even mention her name.

But they'll spend ten minutes of coverage on a love affair between a French and Italian swimmer, and how THAT is supposed to be big Olymic news. ????? Yet we have other Athletes that are not even covered.

Oh yeah. NO BIAS in the Liberal media.

FN in MT

4. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I saw har at our local club several weeks ago. She is not hard to look at either.

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I met her it Alaska I think 2 years ago. She is quite a lady...

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

No, she's very easy on the eyes....which will work to my advantage as I'm trying to line her up some local sponsorships. We have a host of local athletes that do local commercials. Subway, car dealerships, local phone company - all that.

Pretty sad to say that except for Merrill Lynch coming in and being her biggest sponsor, she only has a handful of us local folks supporting her.

Maybe with a medal all that can change...

7. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

I shot with Corey at the Grand in Vandalia when she was barely 16 years old. What a nice young women and now an Olympic medalist! Once you get to know Corey's life story you can only want the best for her!

Rick B

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Congratulations Corey - this is well deserved as she has worked very hard and is a great ambassador for the sport and her country.

She is also a product of the SCTP program so let's remember to get behind the youngsters - dreams do come true.

9. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I watched the womens International Trap(BUNKER)finals on NBC this am. She must have chipped the target because there was not the burst of orange normally seen. But, who cares, the three in front of her missed, she didn't.
    The video clip was very clear, plus there was little to know commentary, just shooting and very good camera work.
    I watched a little of the mens BUNKER and the commentators just would not quit yakking.
    Skeet will be fun to watch on the 14th, 15th and 16th. I hope the same camera crew works these events as well.

10. bas

bas Member

Congratulations, Corey! That is a great win - the USA is very proud of you.

BAS

11. Doubles/Bob

Doubles/Bob TS Member

Hi Corey
    Congratulations on your medal and I am confident many more will follow.
    Great shooting!!!

Kind regards
    Bob Larsen Palmer,AK

12. robtbracco

robtbracco TS Member

391 shooter - it was definitely a ink ball on the podium!!!! (I could not see a piece either).

I really look forward to supporting Corey over the next four years and see her bring home a gold medal in four years.

She has made so many of us proud of her accomplishments and all done with grace and style.

Congratulations to Corey.

Robert

13. B Weger

B Weger TS Member

In international competition when shooting puff targets a puff of dust counts as a hit. She probably pulled dust. Congrats Corey

14. trap_shooter2000

trap_shooter2000 Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Congratulations Corey!! I knew you would always make it! All those times you watched me and friends shoot, (Bret Hamilton, Nat, Bryan Stuntebeck) I remember you saying, "I wish I could shoot half as good as you guys."

Girl, you are kicking our butts now! Great job...... And keep working hard...

Aaron Willoughby

15. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Sportshot,

It is difficult to understand the rules on this but below I have listed them for flash targets. In the Olympics flash targets are used for qualification and finals.

9.18.9 "FLASH" Targets

In Finals events and any shoot-offs required after the Finals, "flash" targets containing colored powder of non-toxic material must be used.

9.18.9.2 "Flash" Target "HIT"

A target is declared "HIT" when it is shot at according to the rules when:

at least one (1) visible piece is broken from it or colored powder becomes visible after the shot is fired.

I hope this helps.

Jack Burch

16. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Sportshot - we have flash targets at our club. I could get you a sample but I'm not sure it would make it safely thru the mail.

We used flash targets in the final of the Junior Olympic CA State Championships - they are fun to watch and fun to shoot - a lot of folks had never seen them or shot them before.

A legal hit is visible powder after the shot if fired - the magic BB works in this instance.

17. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

If you click on the above, it's a brief interview with Corey after her win. She describes seeing the "little puff" trail on her shoot-off target that won her the Bronze.

I thought she missed the target as well...I sure wished they had a close-up or even a shot of her getting that target. The "tell" that she got it, was when she turned around with the huge smile on her face.

Can't wait to see her in London -- congrat's Corey, well done.

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Congradulations Corey. Not to belittle Corey, but Kim Rhode won A gold medal in 1996 at Atlanta in double trap, I believe the first american man or women to do that. And a bronze in 2000 Syndey, and a gold in Anthens 2004.

19. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Sportshot - The 2012 Summer Olympics will be held in London. I'm presuming since that was her original goal, she's still planning on competing there.

20. bas

bas Member

Qayneo - I think the original poster meant "trap" versus "doubles trap"...I think all of Kim's medals have beenin doubles trap?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.