1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cordless Drills

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FNG, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

I know this is the place to solicit opinions so here goes ! I'm in the market for a new cordless drill and I'd like your opinions/experiences. I like Dewalt tools and I'm looking at their lithium-ion cordless drill. This is just for home handyman use, not daily professional application. What are the advantages of the lithium-ion over the ni-cad systems (to justify the higher price) and what voltage (12, 14, 18, 20) is sufficient for home use. ?

Thanks for your inputs.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The higher the voltage the better - don't buy anything under 18 V if you can help it.

Keep an eye out at Lowes/Home Depot for sales - you can often snag a 'kit' for a very reasonable price it will typically have drill/saw/something else, charger and usually a second battery for free.

Quality goes up and down from year to year - right now DeWalt, Ryobi, Porter-Cable, Makita are the 'hot' ones right now. Milwaukee is there too, but pricy.

Lithium-ion batteries are less bothered by 'memory' effect in charging cycles (if you use a NiCad for a short period and then recharge it without fully discharging it the battery can form a memory, so even though it has plenty of charge in it it will stop working... as if it has discharged fully - NOTE - a lot of better NiCad products have chargers that prevent this from happening, so it is less of a problem in the higher end units than the cheap ones)

3. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

The above advice is good advice. I am running a 5 year old 18V Ryobi that I bought as a kit with a 4" circular saw. I use it for RV repairs and everything else under the sun including putting down sissor jacks on a trailer. Have not had to buy a new battery yet, recharges in reasonable time and so far no battery memory.
    I too prefer DeWalt, but I am finding it hard to bash this Ryobi.

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I have a 19.2 volt Craftsman- lithium battery.

I can't stall it and love it. I paid about $119 for it.

Chuck

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Another thing to look for is the amp rating. I have 18v makita's with 3.0 amp batteries and they seems to run forever before running low.

6. JohnH12

JohnH12 TS Member

I recommend you give the Ridgid brand out of Home Depot a serious look. I bought mine as part of a kit that carries a LIFETIME warranty. Even my batteries are covered for life. I've had them replaced twice and there's no charge to me at all. Batteries are the weak part, cost close to $100, and are only warrantied for 1~3 years if bought separately. The Ridgid lifetime warranty is the best one out there.
    John

7. psfive

psfive Member

Like JohnH12 I too bought the Ridgid kit at Home Depot. I got the lifetime warranty on the entire system batteries included. Mine are pushing seven years old one battery has been replaced with the lithium ion. I am still using one of my ni cads and it is still going strong. I have no complaints about anything. I use these tools for everything almost daily. Paul in GINebraska.

8. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Sears Craftsman 19.2

9. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I, too, bought the Rigid and have gotten replacement batteries free several times. Great deal!

Bob

10. STOS

STOS Member

Iam another one that went with the Rigid.You simply cannot beat the lifetime warranty.You do have to jump thru several hoops to get it.But it is well worth while.

11. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Take my word for it Get Milwaukee M-12 at HomeDepot. It is all you will need and the last one you will have to buy. The Best by far!!!

12. kenf

kenf Active Member

While you are at it, look at the cordless impact drivers. I bought an 18V Dewalt kit last year at Lowes that consisted of the drill, driver and a pair of batteries for a little over $200. Batteries themselves are around $100/pair. All I reach for anymore is the driver when I need to get something done.

13. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Hi Guys! Good Thread! If you want to see and handle THE kick-ass cordless drill, Hilti makes a 36 volt hammer drill. Very nice, drills holes in masonry and drives screws too.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It depends on what you want to spend. For the money, I think it's pretty hard to beat the Craftsman 19.2V. I've had mine for nearly 10 years and it's been fantastic.

15. FNG

FNG Member

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I'll give these a look.

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I just bought a DeWalt 12v lith-ion drill as the ni-cad batteries for my other 12v Dewalt cordless are dying and they don't sell replacments...the new drill sure has lots of torque!!

Ron Burr

17. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Another vote here for the Rigid kit. Got the drill/impact driver kit a couple months ago. Includes carrying bag, charger and two batteries for $199. Got another $10 off because the cardboard box it was shipped in was dented in with no damage to the inside contents. Lifetime warranty on everything, including batteries.

Makita also makes a great set, with the impact driver being the lightest (by far!) impact driver I have used. The white and black model. Not the blue one.

Don't bother with anything other than Lithium-Ion batteries.

Tim

18. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

*Today Only*

Home Depot

18-Volt Bosch Compact Lithium Ion Drill Driver w/ 2 Slip Pack Batteries & Charger [homedepot.com]
    (DDB180-02)

$179 $119 - $10 w/ code 10APRIL
    = $109

Free Shipping

The Drill/Driver alone is $148 at Amazon [amazon.com]
    without the extras

Tim

19. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

From my experience you can't beat Dewalt.

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Bosch !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best place in macomb michigan to buy a cordless drill