1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cordless Drill

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by T/C, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T/C

T/C TS Member

What's the best one out there for the home owner that uses one a lot. I don't really care about price, I need good. I bought a Black & Decker Firestorm 18 volt about a year ago. Although the drill has enough power, now both batteries are about shot and wont't hold/take a charge. Had a Hatachi, drill was junk, so were the batteries. Is the DeWalt 24 volt any good. Thanks in advance, T.

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I will second the opinion on dewalt.
    Don

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

Milwaukee is the best,they are up on their battery technology and 101% made is the U.S.A.

Bill

4. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

As a professional contractor I will give you two to choose from

1) Bosch 18volt blucore brute force

2) Dewalt 18 volt

Both of these are designed more for the contractor and not the home owner. I do not believe you can get the high end contractor type from the big box stores. You will need to get them from a distributor.

We have used all the others and have horrible reviews

Jeff Warren

5. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

The latest and greatest thing now it the lithem (spelling) batteries.The new Bosch has them with great reviews...Nuc

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Love my 18V Dewalt. Get the saws-all to go with it and a spare battery or two. The drill has enough torque to snap deck screws, need to watch the torque setting.

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree that Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt and (even though you disagree), Hitachi make a fine cordless drill. I had a 14.4 volt Makita cordless drill that served me well for a long time. Don't discount Makita in your search. Ed

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've got a Bosch 12v that works good. Its an older one and underpowered compared to what you can get in today's market but still decent non the less. If I was to get a new one it would be with the new lithium batteries and at least 18v or equivalent.

All the major brands have good equipment you just get what you pay for. Buy cheap model, get cheap model.

Bill

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have used a DeWalt 14 volt with the 3 speed transmission for 3 years now while building a house. I have drilled lots of holes for the wiring and have driven a ton of screws including a 14 x 35 deck. I dropped it about 10 feet onto a ceramic tile floor and bent the shaft that the chuck screws onto. I bought a new transmission and now it is as good as new. The 14 volt does everything I need including driving 3/4 auger bit through double top plates. I recently replaced both batteries (original ones died). Don't bother with cordless hammer drill - they do not last.

Jim Skeel

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I can vouch for Makita

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use DeWalt...but just a 12 volt....to quote a master carpenter freind "anything bigger than 12 volts needs a cord on it".....I think he refers to the 18 and 24 volt batteries being a bit heavy if your going to carry them around all day in a holster. I use a 5/8" Hitachi corded hammer drill for the big jobs...

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Dewa3t has been good for me.

Don

13. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I have used Bosch and Dewalt. They both have given me good service.

Arnie

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Dewalt 18 !!!, I have about 25 cordless Dewalt tools and have only had to rebush and bearing one drill,it was 8 years old and was still going with a bunch of noise. Use them hard every day. Buy them new. The batteries are rebuildable. 18 volt is the way to go. Stay away from lithium batteries as they are non rebuildable and require a permit to dispose of. Jeff

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I really like the Bosch units. Lots more torque than similar same volt models from other folk.

Festool makes dynamite units as well. They make a tiny 12V model that will rip the skin off your hand if you grab the chuck and try to stop it.

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Dewalt 14.4 with dual batery packs and charger. The hammer drill models sell a little cheaper on ebay, but they are the same drill, only longer from grip to tip.

17. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I was told that the new Rigid has a lifetime battery. Check it out. Jake

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Admiral Art, any cordless battery that has external screws can be rebuilt at Batteries Plus or any quality battery store. About half the cost of new. 18 volt has more tool availability. Jeff

19. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Can't go wrong with a Dewalt after they are made by Black and Decker. Bet you all did not know that! B&D bought them years ago becasue tradesmen would not buy B&D. I had to buy new batteries for my Dewalt this winter, Home Depot had them for $40.00 for two. We used a lot of Dewalt 18 volts when I still worked at Jeep in Toledo. They had over 300 inch pounds of torque, enough to break your wrist if you were not careful. Milwaukee is great also. I have a 9.6 volt I have used for years and it will break deck screws with no problem. I only bought the Dewalt becasue it was a complete set at a garage sale. Good price for power saw,recip,miter saw, drill and sabre saw and tool chest for seventy five dollars and of course bad batteries. Bill

20. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Porter Cable and Milwaukee are the professionals. DeWalt is a Black & Decker in Yellow. I have had Dewalts fail on me. There ok. I like Porter Cable and Makita the most. I have never worn out a Porter Cable drill or any other PC tool I have. I have 4 of them(3,12V and 1,19.2V). I have drilled and driven thousands of screws a year on mahogany runabouts and yachts over the years. I use a Makita angle head drill for getting into tight places. Hope this helps. Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.