1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cordless Callers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moore5833, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

A local club i shoot at has them-they work fine,but they are expensive. I dont know of any draw backs,but for shootoffs from a distance they would be great-no cords to worry about.

2. willyo

willyo TS Member

Joe;

Our club in Wis.has used both corded and cordless releases. Outers, Ventriliquist, and Canterbury. All functioned 100%, when properly maintained.
    We currently use 5 Canterbury trap % 1 or 2 Canterbury skeet. plus 1 Ventrilliquist skeet. All Cordless.

It seems like a million or more targets and daily setup and teardowns makes the wireless units easyist to maintain. Then batteries and broken mics are the main service items

Corded units bring the raveged control, mike, and power cords as your focus on the repair scene.

Bill Ostrowsky 608.219.2835 C
    North Bristol Sportsnan's
    Sun Prairie WI

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I'n general I cant stand them.. the SCTP team I coach goes to several different ranges in a years time and all use these, it seems the mic doesnt pic up the word pull for half the kids, you have to look at it, scream pull then your attention has been lost from your stance, its pull, pull, pull, PULL!!.. but everytime a kid cycles a pump or pushes the button on a auto to chamber the shell the things will throw a bird...

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Go with ERAD-everything ele is stoneage, I have my own unit--it is slightly larger than a credit card. Totally programable-microphone volume, delay, you can put the mic on/off as needed---this system is great-can't say enough.

Phil Berkowitz

5. baflstang

baflstang Member

We use the ERADs at our club (OLD HICKORY GUN CLUB) in Rocky Mount, NC on the trap field only. They are essentially trouble-free. We replace the batteries annually. They work better when they are mounted higher on the opposite shoulder from the gun mount. They are not designed to be yelled directly in to. We also have the Canterbury speaker system and it honestly exibits more problems. There are many more parts with these to be concerned about. The trade-off is not having to deal with kinking cables, bad connections, and falling mikes IMHO. Bill Weaver

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

With the ERADs don't you get a lot of birds launched when guys are yapping during post changes?

Don Verna

7. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

They do not perform well in cold weather. The cold zaps the life out of the batteries. If the batteries go during a shoot it's at least 6 or 7 min to replace them. Just another thing to worry about if you are running the shoot. Don't forget you need batteries for the callers and for the unit on the trap house.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Erads are impervious to temp & weather, some people enclose them in a little plastic sandwich bag--I don't think its necessary.

Phil Berkowitz

I wish someone would post a few pictures of ERADS & how they work. Wired mics & their sisters are really stoneage.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

For solo practice I have a wireless unit from Clay Delay. I have adapters made up to use it with our Trap or Skeet stations. I really like it. Our normal traps are run with the wire connected type Canterberrys. We have some pretty good people keeping the cords maintained. The problem is when a cord goes bad and someone just puts it back away with the rest of the sets. Now the next users have trouble also.

10. mt92

mt92 Member

Could someone post more info on the erads, a website or something?

Thanks

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

mt92, if you PM me your email addy I'll send you copies of the pictures, pricing and manuals ERAD sent me a couple months ago.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot using any wireless releases. I have heard, however, that none are very reliable. I know that the corded mics aren't perfect and they have their problems when not maintained properly but I've heard a lot of horror stories about the wireless from some who had to endure them in tournament shooting.

I believe that there is a reason that I've never shot over wireless releases. What is the real story from someone who has/had the responsibility to run a registered shoot using wireless releases. I mean no disrespect to those who say they are Ok. I would like to hear from someone who has used the wireless for a week long shoot in all kinds of conditions.

13. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I am with willyo.

We both shoot at clubs in the same vicinity and we are in the process of switching to wireless Canterbury's on all 8 fields. (We had them on 4 last year.)

The benfits by far outwiegh the minuses.

1) The help/volunteers will not get the cords all messed up and wreck the connections.

2) Picking a field up at the end of the day takes about 2 minutes vs. 10 with no cords to deal with (see 1)

3) Our club has enough members that shoot every day that they keep very good track of when batteries were changed and MAKE SURE that all units are turned off prior to storage for the night.

4) NO WIRES TO STEP OVER/GET TANGLED WITH OTHER WIRES.

Tim Thompson-Sauk Prairie Trap & Skeet-WI

P.S. Bill, Hope you are doing well!

14. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

They are used at Lakeland near Stoney Ridge, Ohio. I have never seen anything better. Dont understand why they are not used more?

Just my 2-cents,

Matt Nicol

15. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

We have used wireless Canterbury's on our 5 trapfields for a couple of years now and I would not go back to cords if you payed me too. Set up and tear down is a breeze and the system has worked well for us. We change the batteries twice a year (spring&fall).

Oxford Gun Club, Oxford Pa.

16. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I am having a difficult time tracking down ERAD equipment. Any help would be appreciated. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.