1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cops writing tickets?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Opion8ted, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Yawns .......

2. lightfoot

lightfoot TS Member

I've had my cars vandalized about FIVE times. I'm not a cop, so I guess they didn't cut me a break. :)

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

What does "cop" mean?

4. cnsane

cnsane Member

WAHH!! You got a job with the basic task of extorting money for the State through people's misfortunes and mistakes and wonder why the Public doesn't view it as a service and despises you.

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Hipshot,

There are two commonly accepted relationships to the word "cop". First, it is short for "Constable On Patrol" and secondly short for "Coppers", relating to the first badges worn in many areas being made of copper. In Chicago, cops are still called "Coppers".

Cnsane,

You are an idiot.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

pointer- I have noticed that most Police Officers are rather young and job longevity is not great. That alone should tell us something about the profession.

Pat Ireland

7. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I doubt that "Insane" has got it right. Most people do not despise cops. Those that do just may have a bit of a problem , perhaps with arrogance. Yup you do see a high percentage of young officers, the older gravitate to better hours and easier work. Working nights is tough on older bodies. I would recommend to any law enforcement professional, have a plan B in case you burn out, have an accident or an incident that costs you your job. Hey Pat, maybe thats because we are just getting older. lol Pointer, I bet you were a great officer, thanks for your service. Jeff

8. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Pointer,

What you say is so true. Until you've been in law enforcement as a regular paid officer you have no idea what the job is like. The police officer is the visable sign for our government and takes the abuse. The law enforcement officers on this forum attempt to share their feelings to the abuse of others.

When you've worn the badge for 10 years nothing that's said here is going to hurt. We've heard it all before from people who were up front and in our face. I admire law enforcement officers, past and present, who gave so much to make society a little better. We are trained, we care but we still make mistakes. To those serving and have served in the military, and law enforcement, I say thank you.

It's always nice to get an e-mail from a fellow law enforcement officer. One even had the kindness to send me a hat from their "department". This "department" is one of the most professional agencies I've ever worked with. It was such an honor and now sits on top of my "police memory" cabinet for others to see.

In England, many years back, the officers, wore a copper plate under their uniforms. From that came the word "cop". PIG was also made up by police officers. I'll let you find out where and why. Sgt. Mike

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Why do all the cops and ex-cops think that their job is the only job that has drawbacks and unfairness associated with it? If you didn't want to be in the public eye, why did you sign up to put on a uniform? If you think that your job is the only job that has abuse and office politics associated with it, then you are hopelessly naive about the rest of the working world.

Hey, if you want to complain about your job conditions or the drawbacks associated with the job, do it in front of a class of new police recruits. That way, they will know what to expect and, hopefully, won't be on this board 10 years from now complaining about the same things you are complaining about.

Many jobs have hazards, stress, and often unwarranted criticism associated with them. If you can't handle that, then get a job doing something else. You may learn that the abuse and criticism just takes a slightly different form.

No one "Drafted" you to become a police officer. You did it of your own free will. If you made an unwise or uninformed choice, then you should have changed careers at the first opportunity. Many of us have found that our first career choice wasn't all that we thought it would be, but we didn't blame others for our lack of foresight. We just moved on to something we liked better. Quit whining and blaming others for decisions that YOU made. A mature adult accepts responsibility for his own decisions and doesn't try to blame others. As President Truman said, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Easystreet

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Easystree- Most, who were officers ten years ago, have followed your advice. Anyone in management who sees a high employee turnover has a problem.

Pat Ireland

11. PODO

PODO TS Member

Sgt. Mike :
    Retired as a LEO after 37 years - In my area PIG stood for
    P-ride - I-ntegrity - G-uts. - TOM

12. hunter870

hunter870 Member

So if I (God forbid) pulled over someone for a violation who knew me from this board, do you think they'd want a break because we were "fellow trapshooters"?

Thanks Easy,

You made me laugh early in the day.

13. alpine

alpine TS Member

The statics from the department were I worked was that 72% of the total amount of sworn deputies retired before their twenty years. They retired from injuries received on the job. Mostly from having to subdue people they arrested, and the rest from having to subdue inmates in the jail.

14. vanman

vanman TS Member

This has been interesting!

vanman

15. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Most don't even realize that the majority do not make it to retirement as a cop. Usually one is injured, killed in line of duty, fired, or eats his gun before the end is near. Most people have no idea of the alarming rate that officers are taking their own lives.

If an officer can make it to retirement age of 55 he is usually dead withing four years as national statistics have it. If you are at an agency that retires you out at age 50, your life after is on average to be seven years. Most people think that officers have it made but most never make it that far because of to many factors.

As far as the statement that we all hang together, those days have somewhat disappeared. You wont find my wife and I settling down in Idaho on retirement in one of the cop only communities. We all have a tremendous amount of stories which most would never believe or could even imagine but to sit around and reminiss about it every day is just not going to happen.

16. blooch

blooch Member

I'm not a cop. Or any other form of peace officer/law enforcement. I know a whole bunch of them. I used to feed the local cops in my home on Sunday nights, nothing was open, and we associated with them through the local fire department. I was called a cop wanna be, cop lover, village idiot, etc. by many. And friend by my friends who are cops. I'll take the latter and ignore the rest.

From what I can tell, being a cop is unlike most other jobs. Very unlike. If you pick up someone's friend for what ever, they think they have the right to give you hell about it, at work at home, you cannot live in the town you work in...........Heaven above forbid you should arrest the "WRONG" person. They spend most of their time associated with people on their worst behavior. Wouldn't you just love to do that all the time. They go on trying to do what they believe is the right thing, in spite of all this.....all I can say is THANKS!

17. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Sarge, the wife and I are both LEOs in California. She is closing in on retirement and I have a few years left.

Tired of the the same crap from those who want to live in this country and do not want to take any responsibility for it. Law Enforcement is not the one that initiates laws. Yes there are laws that we do push for such as, stronger sentences, making misdemeanors into felonies ect.

Cops are the ones that are in the middle of the District attorney's the state legislatures and the federal systems. There are several on this sight that need to educate themselves as to the issues that face us all and direct their attention to those areas and do something about it. Instead, they hide only on this web site and others and stir the sh*t.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lots of good cops out there. I had a couple friends whi when not copping were coaching Little League, Pop Warner football, P. A. L., and a host of other things.

I have also seen some who think the badge is their own personal hunting license and an excuse to power over others.

i prefer the first model.

HM

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Just like any other profession thier's good and bad. Too bad you hear so much
    about the bad. Bill

20. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

For five years I was a Police Officer in Illinois. The last year was so bad we were taking my kids back and forth to school in squad cars just to protect them, and keep them safe. Not only me but several other officers were having to do the same. Things were being stolen from around the homes and cars and boats were being damaged. Squad cars were taking damage now and then. This showed it was time to get out. I was a very good officer when I was there.
    Eich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

writing tickets for cops