1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cops beat man to death.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

This is getting way too commonplace,,,,,,,,what has happened to out society and the police we used to respect????"

2. SBray

SBray Active Member

I don't know about "commonplace" being an accurate way to describe such actions. I would rather to believe such acts are isolated incidents that draw a lot of media attention. Since all the evidence isn't in to determine guilt, I would rather say it looks very bad for that agency, as did for LAPD with Rodney King.

We must keep in mind, public servants such as cops and firefighters, are drawn from the human race, and unfortunately, sometimes the wrong people get hired, despite all the testing.

I personally don't know how cops think they can confiscate citizens video cameras or cell phones just because a video recording of an activity might prove to be embarrassing. It seems like that would be a good way to get sued.

JMHO,

Steve

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Respect left when city's went with ex-military over local people to fill the ranks. You now have a "militaristic" mind set instead of a "neighborly" mind set.

Right from the horse's mouths, "we will spend less money training them"

Respect is earned, not given out with a certificate of completing training.

Then your also dealing with the, "Guilty until proven innocence" syndrome that has infested our legal system.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Very, very, very hard to determine what exactly happened from start to finish, with that evidence. Yet, conclusions are already drawn from bias thought process, typical of the media.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's the government that people there voted for.

6. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Thank God they didn't shoot him to death.There is nothing worse than gun violence.

Darr

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

timberfeller. <i>" Respect left when city's went with ex-military over local people to fill the ranks. You now have a "militaristic" mind set instead of a "neighborly" mind set.

Right from the horse's mouths, "we will spend less money training them"

Respect is earned, not given out with a certificate of completing training.

Then your also dealing with the, "Guilty until proven innocence" syndrome that has infested our legal system. </I>

Your statement sounds as if the town has very few veterans and city officials had to pump in veterans from other places... I am not sure exactly where you live, but in Indiana, we have plenty of Hoosier veterans that are "local people" that honorably serve in law enforcement within their own communities that they grew up in... Sorry to read that you do not live in such a place.

Additionally, I guess you personally do not know anyone who has went through a police academy, it is militaristic in nature. There are uniform guidelines that will be adhered to and if not one is kicked out, same with physical strength/stamina tests. All police agencies have a rank structure in which orders are issued and followed, etc. Your comment is in left field.

As far as taking the phones, they are not going to get erased, the film footage and pics are preserved and will be examined by the prosecutor's office, a grand jury, and ultimately all involved in the civil lawsuit.

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Wonder what the cops would have done if the citizens refused to turn over their cell pnones.

GneJ

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I was always appalled by the beating of Rodney King. I mean, if they had beaten his criminal @ss just a little bit longer, he might have learned his lesson and still be alive.

-Gary

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

GW, in my opinion he got what he deserved.

GneJ

11. Avatar

I do not think there can be any excuse for a half-dozen cops beating someone on the ground to death with their batons--if that's really what happened--and I challenge anyone to provide one. The seizure of those cell phones is also troubling. Sure, there is a justification there of the need to preserve evidence; but, if accusations are made that cells phones and/or recorded footage seized by police disappeared, I, for one, will take those accusations seriously. I only hope the police seizing the phones had witnesses and carefully recorded what they seized, and that they were not friends of the cops who killed that man.

While the news reports are troubling, it is still too early to know just what happened.

12. bigdogtx

Steve, by commonplace, I was meaning the police acting like they can do anything they want,,,,,I mean c'mon,,,,,,their tasers were dead???

13. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

On March 3rd, 1991 Rodney King was being pursued by the Los Angeles Police Department for refusing to pull his car over and stop. They had been chasing him for eight miles when King finally stopped. Sergeant Koon ordered four officers to jump on King and subdue him. King appeared intoxicated to the officers and was very strong, he got away from the officers and began to do things which the police said gave the appearance that King was on PCP. Koon fired two volleys of electronic darts into King. He got up and ran in the direction of Powell and the attack began (Leibovich, 1999:1-3). King suffered numerous injuries during the attack. He was hit with batons between 53 and 56 times over a period of three to four minutes. The bones holding his eye in its socket were broken, and King suffered 11 broken bones at the base of his skull. Reports concerning that incident were falsely reported in an attempt to cover up the excessive use of force. The Los Angeles police officers and supervisors downplayed the injuries to King as minor scraps and bruises. Koon’s had reported that King felt no pain, but King’s friend in the car said he could hear King screaming as the officers detained him. The California Highway Patrol were so shocked by the level of brutality that they took note of the officers names. The police officers involved in the beating reported that King attacked officers, resisted, and increased his level of resistance. In the videotape however, King is seen in a defenseless position on his hands and knees as officers circle him and beat him repeatedly with their batons. Koon’s report contained no information regarding other people in King’s car. Koon’s report of minimal use of force was also backed up by a lieutenant (Berger, 1991:1-8).

14. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

PART II..

The actions of the officers in the Rodney King case and other brutality cases are blatant criminal offenses. Police have a right to use force to protect themselves, but the beating of a suspect who is restrained or lying on the ground is not self defense. I do not presume that any action taken will diminish the crime of police brutality. However, through the utilization of an interdisciplinary study, the justice system, police officers and psychologists can work together to do more to deter police brutality. Psychologists can help by identifying causes of or likely perpetrators of police brutality. The justice system should also actively pursue and punish offenders within the police system. Police must do more on their part to change the police structure in order to sanction officers who abuse their power and to prevent new officers from learning bad behaviors. If the sanctions are more severe in the organizational structure then, I think, officers will see it more as a crime than as part of the job. "If we can put a man on the moon and return him safely to Earth, why can’t we put a man on the ground and take him safely to jail? The Rodney King jury heard these things. Is anyone else listening?" (Meyer, 1994:4).

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Why did the cops take all the cell phones? Are they trying to HIDE something? To me the cover up started right there and then. Hope they fry their butts over this.

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Besides who said they could TAKE your phone without a warrent? Illegal as hell. The lawyers are going to have fun on this one.

17. bigdogtx

Hope they downloaded the videos,,,,,,,that will get a few more to squirm,,,,,what happened to America??????

18. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

Exactly Bigdog..what happened to America!

19. Brian in Oregon

Ponytail in WI, quote: <i>

On March 3rd, 1991 Rodney King was being pursued by the Los Angeles Police Department for refusing to pull his car over and stop. They had been chasing him for eight miles when King finally stopped. Sergeant Koon ordered four officers to jump on King and subdue him. King appeared intoxicated to the officers and was very strong, he got away from the officers and began to do things which the police said gave the appearance that King was on PCP. Koon fired two volleys of electronic darts into King. He got up and ran in the direction of Powell and the attack began (Leibovich, 1999:1-3). King suffered numerous injuries during the attack. He was hit with batons between 53 and 56 times over a period of three to four minutes. The bones holding his eye in its socket were broken, and King suffered 11 broken bones at the base of his skull. Reports concerning that incident were falsely reported in an attempt to cover up the excessive use of force. The Los Angeles police officers and supervisors downplayed the injuries to King as minor scraps and bruises. Koon’s had reported that King felt no pain, but King’s friend in the car said he could hear King screaming as the officers detained him. The California Highway Patrol were so shocked by the level of brutality that they took note of the officers names. The police officers involved in the beating reported that King attacked officers, resisted, and increased his level of resistance. In the videotape however, King is seen in a defenseless position on his hands and knees as officers circle him and beat him repeatedly with their batons. Koon’s report contained no information regarding other people in King’s car. Koon’s report of minimal use of force was also backed up by a lieutenant (Berger, 1991:1-8).

PART II..

The actions of the officers in the Rodney King case and other brutality cases are blatant criminal offenses. Police have a right to use force to protect themselves, but the beating of a suspect who is restrained or lying on the ground is not self defense. I do not presume that any action taken will diminish the crime of police brutality. However, through the utilization of an interdisciplinary study, the justice system, police officers and psychologists can work together to do more to deter police brutality. Psychologists can help by identifying causes of or likely perpetrators of police brutality. The justice system should also actively pursue and punish offenders within the police system. Police must do more on their part to change the police structure in order to sanction officers who abuse their power and to prevent new officers from learning bad behaviors. If the sanctions are more severe in the organizational structure then, I think, officers will see it more as a crime than as part of the job. "If we can put a man on the moon and return him safely to Earth, why can’t we put a man on the ground and take him safely to jail? The Rodney King jury heard these things. Is anyone else listening?" (Meyer, 1994:4).</i>

-------------

More long winded liberal nonsense.

All you had to do was watch the ENTIRE video of the incident to see that King kept acting aggressively and kept going after the cops.

20. Brian in Oregon

GW22, quote: <i>"I was always appalled by the beating of Rodney King. I mean, if they had beaten his criminal @ss just a little bit longer, he might have learned his lesson and still be alive."</i>

Died while trying to steal a swimming pool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.