1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Copperhead bite

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by awbenz, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

My Son Adam was bit by a copperhead last week and he called me as I live close. On the way there I realised I didn't know what to do so called EMS and you put Ice on the bite area to slow down the poison flow and go to the ER.
    Hope this helps if it was to happen. Allen

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Thanks, Allen. How is he?

3. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

He got air lift to Hospital and anti-serum worked worked. He is fine now.
    Thanks Curvy. Allen

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Those guys have a bad attitude, they will bite you several times if given the chance! Glad your son is doing ok now!

I've come very close to being bit a few times. My friends coon hound got bit in the jaw one night we were out hunting. He was swollen a lot by the time we got him to the vet but was good to go very soon. Hap

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Allen, glad to hear everything turned out OK
    Little story about Copperheads, the hat band on my shooting hat is a Copperhead skin. My son and I were turkey hunting in South Carolina with a good friend down there. Being from Michigan my youngest son was fascinated with the stories of all the poisonous snakes he heard from our friend. On our way back to the farm we drove past this Copperhead on the side of the road, my friend tells me to stop, gets out, picks up the Copperhead, (who now is pretty pissed) and starts to get back into my truck. I'm not a big fan of any snake, let a lone a very mad poisonous one sitting in the seat next to me. Anyway I told my buddy in very direct terms to "get that f*&^%$g snake out of my truck". He laughed, said something about Northern pussies, got out and cut it's head off. We took it back to the barn where he skinned it, treated the hide and sent it up to me about a month later. Very interesting event for my kid, he thought it was great. Just last month my buddy sends me a nice hide from about a 4' rattler he stepped on while turkey hunting this year. That boys just not right.

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

He's lucky. When I lived in Mississippi as a kid my boyscout troop went to Tenn to walk the Shilo trail. I sat down and leaned against a stump. One of my buddies spotted a copperhead on the stump less than a foot away from my head. I was lucky I didn't get bitten but I'll never forget it. To this day when ever I'm in snake country I carry a snake bite kit (which in Washington State is not very often. They're small and easy to have in your pocket. I also keep it with me when I travel across country on my Harley.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Allen,

Glad to hear that your son is doing ok.

My close experience with a copperhead in my youth happened while fishing with my father. We were out fishing in one of the southern Indiana strip pits when I needed to relieve myself. My father guided the boat to the shore and when I got up to step off the boat I got the whiff of cucumbers. I mentioned it to my dad and he told me to look closely before I stepped off the boat. Sure enough, right where I was going to step onto shore was on of those critters. Dad just moved the boat on down the shore a ways. It was a close call for sure.

ec90t

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

As common as dangerous snakes are, even in some populated areas, we are very fortunate that they are not aggressive. We are also fortunate that the Black Widow spider hangs out in dark sheltered spots and leaves us alone. Now, if we could only do something about the places where the pesky Brown Recluse spider lives, we would only have to worry about ticks.

Pat Ireland

9. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Nasty buggers. Copperheads won't get out of your way, or is it just me? I don't know how many times I've almost stepped on one and there he is coiled, head up, waiting for the foot to come down.

By comparison, Timber Rattlers are gentlemen. Most times they'll warn you and/or get out of the way. Plus they're more reluctant to strike. Now, Eastern Diamondbacks are another story, I've had a couple close calls with them when I was in Florida. But Timber Rattlers here in PA are fairly docile as rattlers go.

Many years ago I was leading a group of teeenage boys to a climbing spot to teach them some technical rock climbing basics. It's in a very snaky area and I told them to follow behind. Sure enough, one kid dashes in front and before I could say hey, he stepped on a Copperhead. Strangely, he didn't get bit, the snake was trying to go the other way when the foot came down. The kid about jumped out of his skin. LOL

The snakebites I hear about locally are not in the State Forests, they're in peoples' backyards. All copperheads. Luckily, the venom is milder than that of a rattler.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They taste like chewy chicken if and when done right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

While out on Manuevers at Paris Island SC in 1962, I awoke with one in my sleeping bag. Did not get bit but it was pretty scary

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

When I was a teenager, I caught a Copperhead one night while fishing from the bank. The snake was swimming in a shallow bay and minding its own business. I put on a hula popper and managed to snag the snake. I brought it to shore, held it aloft until I could find a suitable stick and beat it to death when I put it onto the ground.

Today, I regret killing the snake as they are an important part of nature. I know that many people, especially my wife, believe that the only good snake is a dead snake.

If you are in the woods and smell something rotten (or cucumbers), beware. Be careful when stepping over logs. Make lots of noise when you walk and you will probably scare most snakes away before you get to them.

Ed Ward

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well, as long as we are comparing snakes, in Southern California in the Antelope Valley, we have a nasty rattlesnake called a Mojave Green. Highly aggressive and with a neuro toxin mixed with a rattlesnake venom. If bitten, you have very little time to get help and a hospital. This snake is a killer of humans -- don't know the percentage of humans killed, but very high. It will also kill horses, dogs, and other large farm animals.

Allen: Hope your son is doing better and will be home soon. Fred

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

We used to fish at a quarry near Winchester VA that was overun with cottonmouths..and them damn things were aggressive and fast,..we carried Ruger Single Sixes loaded with 22Mag shotcapsules...I clearly remember that in one day my friend and I shot 9 a piece...from the same boulder..seems they liked that rock to sun on and were determined to take it back...good swimmers too

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

CalvinMD- Cottonmouths (Agkistrodon piscivorus) are known in southern Virginia (Dismal Swamp) but do not range much further north. There are some water snakes that resemble cottonmouths that would be found in the Winchester VA area (Natrix) but to locate a cottonmouth that far north would be much more than surprising. It does require a bit of experience to distinguish between a cottonmouth nd other water snakes in the field.

Pat Ireland

16. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I didn't want to say so, but yeah, the range of the Cottonmouth ends at about the Dismal Swamp in SE Virginia.

17. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I know the range of the Cottonmouth doesn't extend that far north, but my late Herpetology professor at University of Colorado liked to tell the story of being called by the Boulder Police Dept. one day and being asked to come down as they had a Cottonmouth in their station. He tried to tell them that the only such snakes locally were harmless water snakes. They persisted, and finally insisted on his coming down. He took the bag they handed him and dumped the snake out. He was just in the process of reaching for it when he suddenly realized that yes, this was indeed a Cottonmouth!

No idea how it got to Colorado. For that matter, I never did hear what he did with the snake. Probably it's sitting in a collection in Henderson Museum.

Tony

18. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I was curious and did a little more research:

Apparently, Copperheads are likely to "freeze" because their camouflage is so good and they place great reliance on it. And I always thought they were just refusing to get out of the way. Regardless, that would seem to make it more likely for them to get stepped on.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not being a herpetologist...The fellow who was a resident invited me to that area to be his fishing partner...warned me of the need to bring the handgun for the snakes...the snakes for the record...He referred to as Cottonmouths..and this is from up close and personal interaction Black to Dark Slate grey outside on the top of the back..yellowish mottling near the belly...triangular heads..with folded back fangs...most were 3-4 ft long and my friend showed me way more than I wanted to learn...and they were definantly agressive...what they really were though is dead ..12 ft was my safety circle limit..once closer they were target practice

20. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

I was trout fishing in Pa, I had gone up a small feeder stream, it had steep banks and I was carefully scsning the bank behind me. I limited out on native brookies in about a mile of creek. Taking the short cut back to camp I was walking through a large grass field, messing with my rod and not paying attention to anything. My fishing buddy was sitting 50 yards ahead of me and he said later...It was the first time he ever saw anyone,in hip boots, leap stright up in the air, draw a pistol and get two shots off before his feet hit the ground. It was a big rattler, fed 5 of us for lunch. 52 inches long and as thick as my upper arm. Yum, and it did not taste like chicken. Thats where my nick name came from, Fast Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.