1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Copper shot or Nickel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by d endicott, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d endicott

d endicott Member

Which is harder copper plated or nickel plated? Want to get some for turkey season.

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

gold plated would look better to the turkey

bill

3. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Whatever is on sale. Seriously, it really does not matter. Nephew uses the copper and they usually get their heads shredded..as in DOA.

4. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Winchester Suprem copper#5's will slam a turkey thats what I use.

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

I believe that nickel is usually harder than copper, though with both only found in premium loads which are usually buffered, I doubt either you or the turkey would notice a difference.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My youngest son has killed quite a few big gobblers with his Browning auto 5 in a 2-3/4 inch 20 ga. with lead fives and sixes. Hap

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Getting buffered loads is probably more important than whether you get copper or nickel plated.

Buffered loads will give you very tight patterns which is essential for killing turkeys.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If you are talking about buying shot to reload the important thing is how hard the shot is under the plating. A few years ago I bought some nickel plated shot that was made overseas (Italy if I recall correctly) and the lead was very soft under the plating. It looked pretty but didn't pattern any better than chilled shot. The American made copper plated shot has been consistently good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

copper vs nickel trap ahooters four

oversize nickel plated shot