1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Copper primer scrap value

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIGBIRD49, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGBIRD49

BIGBIRD49 TS Member

I have a lot of spent copper primers and was wondering if they had any scrap value? Has anyone taken used primers to a scrap dealer?

Dick
  2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Put a magnet next to your copper primer and watch what happens.
  3. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Active Member

I took 5 12lb 700x drums full to a junkyard once and they laughed. I dumped them in my driveway for fill. That was many years ago. Things may have changed since then,
    Chris
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The local scrap metal buyer here bought all my spent primers. They paid scrap steel price(which is what it is). Your not gonna get rich off of them but it is still a scrap metal. I didn't make a special trip but waited until I had a whole truck load of various metals. There is no reason a scrap metal buyer should not buy them.

As instructed above, put a magnet on them and be ready to frown.
  5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Active Member

They are not copper, but I sell them locally for the scrap price of tin. It recoups a few bucks.

Jon Reitz
  6. RLC323

RLC323 TS Member

Last I heard was 6 cents a pound here in Il, but scrap tin is down some since then. Probably around 5 cents a pound now.

Plus you get the good feeling of recycling them, better than the nothing you get from throwing them in the trash.
  7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Sounds like a few of you guy are somewhat confused on what tin is. Tin is selling for more then $14 a pound.
  8. RLC323

RLC323 TS Member

Local scrap prices explained a bit. Note the price for sheet tin. If you haul in an old car, combine, old roof steel, or just thin metal junk in there you get the "tin" price per ton. Brake drums and rotors, steel wheels, and steel pieces under 36 inches long get the big "prepared steel" price.

Doing the math the "tin" price comes out to about 10 3/4 cents a pound. But hold on, this is not the most "customer friendly" place so you are you bothering them by bringing in less than a load like your bucket of primers. They have to fool with weighing them and they know that the primers are dirty and not completely made of steel so they pay you about 6 cents a pound.

[​IMG]
  9. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

So in other words, unless you are making a trip to the scrap yard anyways, there's NO way you could even cover gas with the amt of primers the average person would produce in a year.
  10. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

You might not cover your expenses by recycling your primers but you will feel so good by being green and saving the planet from global warming. On second thought it might make more sense to dump them in the garbage then by some carbon credits from Al Bore. It's a dilemma for sure.
  11. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

My six year old son uses my spent primers as ammo in his WristRocket.

He just carries a small drawstring bag with him when we are camping etc.
  12. BIGBIRD49

BIGBIRD49 TS Member

They looked like copper, but the magnet said otherwise.

Dick
  13. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Hmm a 100 straight with a wrist rocket and spent primers.....is it possible?
  14. willing

willing Member

Changing the subject slightly, can anyone tell me why pistol primers are non-magnetic? (win at least)???

Bill
  15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Rifle and pistol primers are made of a brass cup and anvil.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.