1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Copper fouling question (handguns)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I'm having quite some difficulty in removing the copper from my handguns. Could some of you give me your advice on which cleaner you've found to do the best job? Thanks, Jim

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Eds Red....do a search on ts.com

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Run a patch soaked with a bore solvent like Butch's Bore Shine through the bore followed by several passes with a bore brush. Then another wet patch and finally a dry patch. Then soak it with solvent again and let it sit overnight. Repeat the drill in the morning and you should be good to go.

How did you get so much copper fouling in a handgun barrel? Do you shoot jacketed ammo for everything, including target shooting? My handguns only see jacketed loads when carried for hunting and many of those times, no rounds are fired.

I find a lead bullet recipe that shoots to the same POI as my hunting ammo and shoot that except when actually hunting. Even my 1911 45ACP sees nothing but 185 and 200-grain lead semi-wadcutters, as it isn't a legal hunting firearm in Pennsylvania.

Ed

4. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

JB Bore paste, if really bad use JB Bore Bright. Be sure to get it all out before shooting again.

5. ky4some

ky4some Member

I shoot quite a bit of pistols and find that Hoppe's #9 works just fine for me. I did find a product that that helped a ton called the Patch Worm (find it online). It's just a plastic string that works like a bore snake. But you slide different diameter discs down to the end of the string to make the cleaning patch surface area bigger. Works great for getting copper out of those pistol barrels.

Mike Kamer

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I soak the bore with Caseys and let sit overnight before scrubbing with a brush and patches. Repeat until its clean. Same thing with my rifles.

7. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Sweets 7.62 has worked well for me. Follow the directions.
    Bill

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Sweets 7.62 has worked well for me. Follow the directions. Bill

Just like Bill said. Hoppes will not remove copper fouling and nor will most bore cleaners. Good solvents for removing powder residue often do not contain the ammonia that is needed to remove/dissolve copper fouling.

I have seen barrels so fouled by copper it took me 2 or 3 days off and on again cleaning to get all the copper out of them. I never let it soak more then 5 minutes or so and then I scrub the hell out of it with a bore brush.

Don't forget that a copper/bronse bore brush used to push a patch through will always show positive for copper fouling. When you are ready to see if you have it all out use a nylon brush/jag or your patch will always show traces of blue and it may just be the brush!

There are many guys who have no idea that a rifle barrel is fouled with copper because they don't use a solvent that removes copper and the barrel "looks clean".

I have seen so many guns that shot two inch groups at 100 yards with good handloads and the only reason was that they were copper fouled. Get the copper out and the guns was shooting 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups again.

Do not ever leave a solvent that will remove copper soaking in your barrel overnight. Jeff

9. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Along with all the solvent above, buy a brass scouring pad at the grocery store, the course one that is thick and curled in a ball. You can pull out lengths from it and wind it around your brush to give it a cutting action. An old one actually work best, that way you can build it up around it. Cuts much better than just a brush.

CM

10. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Thanks for the response. I was just about to get out some engine valve grinding creme. lol The gun is a Kimber 45 auto. Jim

11. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Hoppe's does make a copper solvent, but JB Bore Cleaner is the stuff to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.