1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coots for dinner???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Got an over abundance of Coots (Mud hens) at the lake. Anyone ever eat these birds. I heard soaking in milk for two days then vinegar for one and slow cooking. Any recipes would be useful...

THANKS

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We have an over abundance of skunks here but I don't think I'll be eating them

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

There is a thread on the subject here:

Coots, it's whats for dinner

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=667295

I'm firmly in the camp of 'there ain't no way' - but they have their proponents.

john

4. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

I killed one when I was a kid. My Grandfather insisted I eat everything I killed that wasn't a varmint. My Grandma was of course the best cook in the world. I insisted she try to cook it and I think that was the original "Rubber Duck". I may still have it somewhere in my decoy bag. Good Luck !!!!!
    Bill

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Whew! thought I was gonna have to hide since my family officially labeled me an old coot

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Got any hog farms around????? Ross

7. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

My grand mother use to ask me to bring some home when I went duck hunting. She would par boil them in salt water with just a little vinegar until they were done. She would then separate the meat from the spinnies and bones. G-Ma would then make a meat and vegetable pie (potato.peas,corn,carrots and a cream gravey) better known as a pot pie. They were good.

Dave

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Calvin you are too FUNNY!!!!

Ross,

What do hogs and coots have in common???

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I don't know about Ross, but we used to feed them to the hogs. There is a coot season on the Georgia coast and there are a lot of folks that hunt them. It's best at a super high tide as they are much easier to find in the grass. Jackie B.

10. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Yea I guess it runs in the blood as I grew up in south GA. I never heard of the season though. Us Georgia boys will eat anything!!!! Coot Pot Pie sounds pretty tasty the way it was explained.

11. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

Simmer in stock pot with 1 gallon of water and a brick for 3 days. Drain water, Throw away the coot & eat the brick.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rebel, I think you got the recipe for mud fish mixed up with coots. LOL Jackie B.

KGP912, look at the hunting seasons for Georgia and if you ever decide you would like to give it a try let me know. I live 45 miles west of Brunswick, Ga and will be glad to take you. Jackie B.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

kgp912kgp--I guess you got me there- they both spend a lot of time in mud puddles???? Ross

14. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I can see you Guy's have had it to easy. I grew up in a family and time when you hunted and fished to have something to eat. If you guy's won't eat a vegetarian but will eat a hog that eats every thing and any thing I don't know what to say. I guess you will not eat muskrat or groundhog either. :)

Dave

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

SOak em out in salt water and smoke em.

Make a marinade with Italian dressing and 7up and soak overnite or atleast 8hrs. Then bake them with apples, onins, celery and oranges in cavity.

bird30, ate muskrat but never groundhog. We didn't have them around here. What do they taste like?

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

isn't a coot just a freshwater seagull? anyway, i'd eat a grain fed rat but i wouldn't eat a sewer rat. it's just common sense

17. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

pheasantmaster they taste a whole like a coon or a rabbit. The best ones are the young ones that weight about 2 pounds. You can pan fry them or bake them. The older ones are a little greasy and should be bake on a rack after you marinade them with vinegar and oil.

Dave

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'll freeze some for you Martin for the next time you and Devi are in town...I clean up on them hoggies every Spring right in my own yard

19. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

pheasantmaster,

Now that sounds nice, I have been smoking meat for the last 2 years (ribs, turkey farm and wild, Boston Butts, chicken) I might have to give that a try. I do like the vinegar and oil marinade. Wonder what the time would take for 2 or 3 of these.

Tried smoking rabbit and just didn't come out right cause they are too lean for the smoker I guess. But I will smoke a duck.

20. skeezix

skeezix Member

Some of the guys on the refuge forums say the gizzards are huge and quite good. Coot gizzard gumbo, seems to be recipe of choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.