1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooper rifles ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by matttrapn, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

I was told Cooper rifles was sold to the empolyees. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Thanks in advance,

Matt Nicol

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Don't know about the employees owning the company, but old man Cooper is a obama supporter by giving him big bucks around 3 years ago.

3. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

That is the reason I'm asking.. If the old guy who sent money to obama still profits from the company sales, I will not buy one of these very fine rifles.

The one I'm looking at is a 257-Weatherby, and is used, BUT, if that the idiot who send cash to support obama is still in the picture, no way!!!!!!!!!

Matt Nicol

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Dan Cooper, the founder and chief designer of Cooper Arms, was asked by the board of directors to resign after his Obama donation escapade.

He agreed that the publicity would damage the company, so he resigned/retired.

"The employees, shareholders and board of directors of Cooper Firearms of Montana do not share the personal political views of Dan Cooper. Although we all believe everyone has a right to vote and donate as they see fit, it has become apparent that the fallout may affect more than just Mr. Cooper. It may also affect the employees and the shareholders of Cooper Firearms. The board of directors has asked Mr. Cooper to resign as President.

In a statement Thursday to USA TODAY, Cooper said, "There is nothing on this earth I will not do for my employees … we have fought through 20 years of building what I believe to be the finest rifles built in America …When the internet anger turned on these innocent people, I felt it was important to distance myself from the company so as not to cause any further harm."

Keep in mind that regardless of what you think of Dan Cooper or his level of involvement in Cooper Arms, these firearms are 100% made in USA!

5. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

kiv-c, Thank you, well said.

Matt

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Now if we couold just get the man he voted for to step down for the people.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I sent two coopers back 3 times each because they wouldnt shoot- one was a 17 centerfire and the other was a 22 LR

How does that happen with a gun in this price range?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Can't help you Gene on your question, but a Gun dealer in my area around 15 years ago bought a new 17 Rem. from Cooper. It came with the test target and the gun had a malfunctioning firing that would not allow it to strike the primer. Must have broke on the last shot shooting the test target!

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I bought my Cooper Custom Classic proir to Dan's move and it's a tack driver.
    Beautiful and well made. No problems. Dave T.

10. MarkyMark

MarkyMark TS Member

Wilson Barrels bought Cooper rifles out with some of the works owning a small piece. Cooper used Wilson barrels for years, when they started they used, Hart, Shilen, Lilja, and some Spencer barrels.

The test targets are some what questionable, they are shot in a tunnel at roughly 44 yards, so that is how they get away with there 1/2min @ 100 yards. But and this is the biggy there handloads are slow as hell. So give me that no wind tunnel a 36X leupold, concrete bench, sinclair rest and I could get any of there guns to shoot sub minute groups. So are they worth it yes and no, if your an average varmint shooter, hunter there a good gun. There bedding job is a joke and there triggers suck. You want a tack driver all day long get a Remington 700 and a smith to work it over to create that dream rifle. The only Coopers I own today is a 17 ackley hornet, 20 bee

I have included a link to the gent that builds my rifles. Nate does some great work building rifles, I have a quiver of them and they are tack drivers. From sheep rifles to crazy wildcats I dream of.

11. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

My friend bought a Cooper in .204 & I bought a CZ in .204. The CZ shoots better.

12. dls guide

dls guide Member

I have 2 model 52 Cooper rifles and both shoot better than I do. If you have problems or questions, you can call cooper arms and actually talk to a gunsmith there. Try that with other companies. They must be doing something right , as Best of the West is getting rifles built there. Cooper Arms is a good small Montana company that actually builds rifles in the USA. Daryl.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Put the discussion aside, and think a minute.

Buying a used rifle will not in any way benefit Dan Cooper.

If it suited my desires I would buy it.

HM

14. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I think the early Cooper rifles were of better quality, although my experience is only with the 57M series of .22s.

I have a 57M with a 3-digit serial # that shoots right up to - and sometimes better - than my Anschutz 54; the trigger adjusts down to 1 pound and breaks like glass.

A later model Jackson Hunter (another 57M variation) didn't shoot nearly as well and I never could get the trigger down below 1 3/4 pounds.

That said, I would still buy Cooper, if for no other reasons than they are all America made and their service is excellent!

15. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

I can honestly say that the company treated me with by far the shittiest customer service in all of my gun dealings ever. I would'nt piss on them if they were on fire. l.g.

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

I owm a large collection of older Coopers from .17- .308, they are deadly accurate, but as the above thread said there Customer Service SUCKS. I had to return 2 for service for mechanical and stock problems. My bubbies could have done a much better job without going having to deal with all of Coopers BS.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you are going to base your buying decisions based on political affilation then be prepared to quit buying entirely. Seriously, where would you draw the line? There are most certainly democratic voters in the shops of every manufacturer out there.

Dan Cooper exercised his right as a US citizen to support the political candidate of his choice. His reward was to be torn away from a buisiness that he built in order to save it from the intolerance of his customers.

Judge the Cooper rifles for what they are. The criteria for that includes how do they shoot, how do they look, are they worth the price.

Judge Dan Cooper separately but in doing so remember that he is entitled to his rights as a free american just as you are. Freedom is not something that only applies to the one group that endorses the 'correct' politician.

18. MarkyMark

MarkyMark TS Member

Back in the day they were king for an entry level custom rig, low throw bolt, Jewel triggers were standard issue. They offered all the wildcats a guy would drool over, 19 Calhoon, first in production for the 20 cals Vartarg, all the neat 17's and the odd ones Mashburns, ackley's. Hell I had them build a 22x 30-30 ackley, my sheep rifle is a 280 ackley from them. But then things went astray, from the time Dan left Kimber to open Cooper I don't think the 3 of them felt it would ever get as big as they did and out of control.

But over the last few years things have changed with them and I stopped buying there rifles and had even more custom rigs built. For the money there not the deal they were years ago, nor is there quality of work there either.

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

The Cooper rifles shoot.Period. If you can't get it to duplicate the factory group it is you, the load or conditions. Period. They have produced the finest first shot dead on rifle in America, if you need more shots than one than you need a different type of rifle. Leo

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Twinbirds

Why would they replace the barrel on 2 of my rifles 3 times each if they shoot?

My experience is that people that claim some rifle shoots - are really unable to shoot the rifle themselves or have just read an advertisement

I have owned 2 of them and returned them 3 times each to the factory and the factory couldnt get them to shoot.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.