1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooper rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Phil Kiner, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Shot this group Saturday. Cooper 222 @ 200 yds, Leupold 4-14x LR scope.
    I am not a very good rifle shot so would like to see how this one would group with a real rifle shooter behind the wheel.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Looks good to me, Coopers are nice rifles how long have you had it?

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

For an amateur you are not bad. But havn't you read the threads you are not suppose to own a Cooper in order to ruin the company and the man.

Don

4. Phil Kiner

I got it used from Matt (forgot his last name) from Kentucky. He delivered it to me at the Grand this year. I actually bought it off TS.com. It is a Model 21. One of my best friends is into long range rifle shooting. He lapped the barrel for me otherwise it is out of the box.

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Hi Phil! That's great group for a .222. It looks like about an inch at 200 yards which translates to 1/2 minute of angle. If there was any wind at all it's excellent for a factory rifle. Were you using factory ammo or handloads?

I have been doing some bullseye pistol shooting which really requires intense concentration. It's helped my trap shooting a bit I believe.

Cheers from your friends in this area of the world.

Jerry Weger

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Hey Phil,

Nice looking groups man! That is the gun you bought from me. Glad that it is shooting well for you! Try to kill a few prarie dogs with it.

Matt Woodson - Woodson Enterprises

7. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Thats a really good group Phil. I would modify a line from one of the greatest movies ever, "True Grit", but I'll spare you from that today.

Varmints beware, looks to be a new Sheriff in Ol' Cheyenne.

Winter well my friend,

Matt

8. Phil Kiner

Jerry-it was with hand-loads 40 gr Sierra HP--don't know what powder -my friend reloads for a hobby and I always get what he has for rifles that way all I have to do is pay for the components.

There was a wind from the west (we shoot south) pretty constant about 10mph
    We moved the scoped 3 clicks left to compensate for the wind

9. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Phil, I have a Cooper Model 21 Varminter in .223. It shoots similar groups with both 50 & 40g Bergers. .............Roger

10. 5spd

5spd TS Member

That group is perfect for the p-dogs out here Phil, as long as its fairly calm of course. It shoots as good as my Savage tacticle rifle in .223.
    My first Varmint gun was a .222 Reminton 788. You have a nice outfit now lets get some p-dogs.

Id be more than happy to put a few rounds through it with you. Did you shoot it at the local range west of town?

11. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Phil,

A good friend's grandson (Colton Myers, aged seven) killed his first buck during the Texas Youth Season last month with a single shot Cooper in the new 6.8 caliber. He used his Dad's hand loads with a 110gr pill. He shot it from the prone position. He was laying about fifteen feet from his Dad (no help, just encouragement). The buck was aged at 6.5 years, went 20 yards and piled up. I saw the rack at Sam's Taxidermy in Breckenridge today. Counting the drop tine it has fifteen points. It is awaiting drying before scoring.

HBT

12. Phil Kiner

HBT-Does Colton shoot trap? It is always great to see the kids into hunting and shooting.

5spd are you from Cheyenne?

13. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Phil,

No, he doesn't. His Dad and Grand-Dad are big hunters (deer, varmints, hogs) and avid reloaders. I've tried to get them interested in the shotgun sports but they only use shotguns for the limited duck, pheasant and dove shooting they do. The Dad is a big bench rest competitor at the Graham Gun Club.

The three of us hunt together, but they don't shoot shotgun sports. Colton and his Dad live about an hour and a half from me so I only see them for hunting get togethers.

I have a seven year-old grandson that has Savage Cub 22 LR and a Red Rider. When and how do I introduce him to shotguns? He is very athletic and has great eye/hand coordination but is not really big for his age. Ken Rucker suggested a Mod 1100 28 ga. cut down to size. Your thoughts.

HBT

HBT

14. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Phil,
    Yes we are in the same city. We met at the trap club also, yea I know to many faces to remember.....:)
    I shot the last 2 leagues on Ayers team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.