1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COON URINE as cover scent???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jimborn, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have some coon urine cover scent. So you think it's best to just try and cover your own scent, or does coon cover scent help??? It seems to me as though coon urine might make a deer wary a little bit that there is something else in their vacinity and keep their alert UP???
    And at this time of year in central Nebraska, would a doe-in-heat lure still work???? Thanks

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

look at what the media covered up !!!!

3. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I suspect that the coon is gong to be pretty mad when you grab and squeeze it.
    Remember, they have teeth and are mean.

Mike

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It is very good as a cover scent and we also use it on our steel traps. I use it in a spray bottle and spray a bush on all sides of a tree that I'm going to climb. I like Harmon Triple Heat and code blue doe estrues as a cover scent to spray the bushes and my climber with. I use a cover scent to spray on my clothing and choose the scent according to the area I'm climbing in. For example pine scent, acorn or earth. Use these especially in thick cover. Jackie B.

5. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

A Deer has so many Olfactory glands in their nose what they will smell is Raccoon and Human. Best bet is scent block and go high, 20 feet up or more

6. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Where in the world and how would you get "Coon urine"? Do you train them from cubs to pee in a bottle?

Bob

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bob,
    You catch one and beat the piss out of him ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Smart, no, predictable, yes,

Keen sense of smell and hearing? absolutely

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I knew a trapper who had at least 20 foxs living in a big cage with a wire mesh floor. When they pissed it would hit a big metal funnel then into a rain gutter. He collected it and sold it to trappers. It looked like apple cider, not the amber colored stuff but the fresh pressed stuff and stunk like all hell.

10. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

So you're telling me that you are trying to make the deer think there is a large two legged raccoon with a rifle up in the tree? Works for me ....

Bob

11. spritc

spritc Active Member

I think you'll piss-off the deer. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself).

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

ricks1

You win. LMAO

That was my first thought.

Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ctreay, I've also heard of that and it has many other uses. If you have flea problems you can scatter it around(crumbled leaf tobacco which is easy to get in S. Ga.) doorways and it will keep the fleas out. We scattered it in the doorway going into the shop next to and in the kennels and it worked great. Jackie B.

14. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

A friend of mine accidently droped his pee jug from his tree stand before he got the cap back on the jug. Well won't you know the biggest buck he had seen in years came right up to that tree and tore up the area like he was a rototiller! He popped that buck with his crossbow. So much for cover scents I guess. Bill

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Have you ever noticed where you got your deer MOST of the time? Its up wind most of the time rick

16. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

You put that coon scent on, somebody had dam well better hang on to Old Blue.

Bo

17. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

I"m sorry, I thought you were talking about Gov GoBlo using this stuff, then I realized he wouldn't need to do that with his buddy Emil Jones covering his tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

coon cover scent forum

coon urine

coon urine cover scent

does raccoon urine a good cover scent

ole blue cover scent

raccoon urine as cover scent

what do you use coon urine for