1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

coon creek

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by barettashooter, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barettashooter

barettashooter TS Member

I never posted here before but something happened that I just got to say something about. First off the northern zone shoot was held at coon creek. At first we thought it was a good shoot but then we found out the truth. First off the top lady shooter in the northern zone is left out of the pamphlet mailing as she usually is when coon creek hosts a shoot so she didn’t know what events were when and didn’t get to shoot for the teams. Then after the shoot is over We find out today that there were calls made to directors in the other zones whining and crying because the regular coon creek shooters ladys got beat so they don’t want the jr girls to be able to shoot against them because they knoe they can’t beat the juniors. Instead of getting out and practicing they want to cry and get the people who earned there spot disqualified and one of those wouldn’t have even made if they hadn’t discluded the top lady in that area by leaving them off the mailing list to start with. If winning is more important then fairness then we won’t shoot at coon creek anymore. Am I just being sensitive or is there something wrong with all this?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry "barettashooter"??, but, I'll have to side with Coon Creek and George Ahart here. I have known George and Joanie for many, many years. While I have had my disagreements with both of them over some issues, I can't believe that what you are saying here is the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. George is one of the fairest guys I know, and totally dedicated to our sport. I don't think George would purposely do anything that would not be in the best interest of trapshooting. If, as you say, there were some problems, I would have to believe it was due to something other than a program issue. Any top shooter, male or female, stays on top of which shoots are coming up long before a program is mailed out. They are acutely aware of which events they need to shoot, when they are, and what they cost. I don't think you have given us enough factual information to support your post. Until you do so, I think you owe George, Joan, and all those connected with Coon Creek an apology. Sometimes things just happen that are beyond our control, and this might just be one of them.... Just my view...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I can understand misspelling half the words in your post, but at least you ought to spell your own sign-on name correctly.

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

If I wanted to make one of the Zone teams I wouldn't be waiting on a club mailer to let me know where I need to be. The Zone shoots weren't a secret - they're right there on the CGSTA website.

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Coon Creek is my home club. It is one of the finest clubs in No. Cal and run by the best people you would want to do business with. While the mailer process has not be exemplary, the zone shoot postings are available in other places. I did not shoot this weekend because I didn't like the program and I am not shooting in the other zone shoots. I encourage anyone visiting the greater Sacramento, CA area to shoot at Coon Creek. If you need help getting there, let me know.

Jon Schorle

6. barettashooter

barettashooter TS Member

why you think the results aren't posted yet even tho they where the same time as southern zone. The crybaby ladys called the directors in the other zones to try to bully everybody to kick the jrs off the team and let them on it.

7. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

First off make sure that there were programs mailed out. I can't imagine that none were for a shoot of this importance...but who knows and thatis the managements desicsion & make sure the addresses had been updated or whatever, don't forget the post office is not to grand sometimes...Second....the Zone shoots are always this time of the year...If I wanted to make a team I would be making calls....another thing the Zone singles are always on Sunday....if this is not your first rodeo then you should know that....Also the notifications have been on the cgsta website and judging from the amount of hits that site gets ..poeple knew about this shoot....hopefully the classification process went as it should with EACH shooter having to declare which team they were trying for PRIOR to shooting....this is in the Zone Shoot Criteria that was set forth by the CGSTA...if a shooter does not declare then that shooter will be classified by age specifications.

We added a Junior and Vet team to the Zone shoots for the mere fact that ...yes there are more juniors shooting these days and most of these juniors only show up to the Zone shoots after shooting all year at non registered shoots and to give EVERYONE a fair chance of making a team then these teams needed to be created. Sorry but only 5 can be taken from each division...if you don't make it this year there is always next year....I have been off the ladies team a few times by 1 or 2 birds....this whole thing of having to placeate the juniors is starting to chap my hide and anyone who knows me knows I am one of the biggest supporters of junior shooters!!!!! Anywhere!!!! And another thing just because someone is a top shooter does not mean they are automatically on the team...everyday is a new one...(I know the lady in question and she is one of the best shots in the state and not to metion one of the nicest people around and probably would have made the team but like I just said....)

As for someone calling or contacting directors in another Zone ....so what!!!... if they are trying to clarify something.... ask away. There is no harm in trying to find out an answer to a question. So I would stop with the "whining and crying " thing..... I don't think anyone is trying to kick anyone off...if the jr. girls declared that they wanted to shoot for the ladies team then there is no problem...if not then they should have been trying for the Junior Team as set forth in the Zone Shoot Rules and Criteria.....

Kym Hughes
    Central Zone Director

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

BEretta guy,

Your complaint is difficult to understand and even if we did understand it you won't get any resolution from this forum. Please do the right thing and take it up directly with George Ahart. If there were mistakes made I'm sure he would like to know so that he can prevent them in the future. I can not imagine that George or anyone else at Coon Creek would intentionally do anything that was unfair or unsportsman like, it just not their style.

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Wolfram - normally I would agree with you 100% - take up your grievance with club management.

But in this instance the shoot while being held at Coon Creek is under the management of CGSTA - the zone shoots are their deal. And the proper recourse should be through the CGSTA and the Northern Zone Directors - there are 8 of them and their names are on the CGSTA website. Kim Hughes is one of 14 Directors for the Central Zone. I know you know that but it would appear that some folks cannot figure out the correct venue for airing their concerns other than taking a potshot at a great club owned by truly wonderful benefactors of the sport.

10. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

To clarify...Yes I am from the Central Zone...but.. I was contacted and asked about Classification and Declarations in regards to the Zone Shoots...Shoots not just the Northern Zone...the CGSTA Zone Shoots...I answered the questions that were asked and if it goes any father then the Northern Directors will handle the situation..
    Kym

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are 100% right Wildcat,

I really didn't understand what the conflict was about.

12. ubernut

ubernut TS Member

attended many shoots there, love the place and the people.

13. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Yes you are being to sensitive, let it be.

I now live in Arizona but lived in So Cal my entire life. I only once shot at Coon Creek as it was about a 300 mile trip, one way. I had a great time there and thought George Ahart treated everyone very well and everyone I knew had a good time. I would have gone back for every shoot had the distance been less.

Next time you have a problem in life, of any sort, go to the source for answers, not a public forum.

P.S. - It's " Beretta " not Baretta.

Tom Strunk

14. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

I personally never got a program for the zone shoot at coon creek and i have shot there many times before i actually shot my first hundred there. and i still made the Jr. team i was asked to clarify what team i was going for i was talking to three other of the team members when we were all asked what team they were shooting for (Zack Z. Drew P. and Zack N.) so i know they made sure they knew what team people were shooting for.

I knew last year in september when and where the shoot was i agree with the fact that if this shooter in question was one of the top in the north she would have known then also I also agree with the fact that just beacue your one of the best dosent mean you make the team some of the greatest shooters in CA didnt make it. Dave Kelly as far didn't make it. I shot with Jim Wylie who has been poting 97+ averages in singles for years didnt make it. Ron Alcoriza who was in a shoot off for AAA didn't make it. Three BIG names standing on the sidelines for thi years team shoot.

Steven

15. Gingervette

Gingervette TS Member

I have also shot at Coon Creek several times and did not receive a flyer. I don't know if flyers were sent out or not. If they weren't they should have been, especially for a shoot "this important", either by the club or the CGSTA. Granted the big names probably should have know, but what about the rest of us. Those of us that can't afford to shoot for a living. As for the CGSTA website, yes it does give you the dates but not the schedule of events. How is a new shooter supposed to know when the singles are to be shot "through divine intervention".

As far as scores go, I have been looking for scores since. It would be nice to know who made the Zone Teams. The other zones can post their results within the next day or two. Why can't the North? Why the big delay? I guess we'll find out in Kingsburg who made the teams, maybe?

16. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Gingervette: The team results should be on cgsta.com real soon... (I think that Ray Brasser just got the results today....)Let the management at your club know that you want the results posted at cgsta.com. I have sent all Calif. clubs info as to where to send results to get posted. A few clubs have been very slow in responding...I will keep after them. In the future, I will see that we get the Zone Shoot programs on the website per your suggestion...thanks. Walt Hastings

17. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

I haven't received any results from Coon Creek yet. When I see them, they'll be posted.

Ray Brasser

18. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

First - If a person (in this case Barettashooter) has a problem it should be directed to club management. And secondly if said person finds it important to post a complaint on this forum he/she should be responsible enough to post their name.

I cannot attest to program mailings. But I believe most if not all concerned shooters were aware the Northern CA zone was to be held at Coon Creek. If they are that nieve that they did not know then they should take up tiddlywinks or some sport that does not require much intelligence.

George and Joan have done a great deal for this sport. We all may not agree with them on everything, but we must agree they do an outstanding job. The shoot was ran with great expertise. Everything from target settings to promptness was adhered to.

And again if a person has a complaint he/she should first address the host club and then the governing CGSTA

There were several CGSTA directors on hand. Two worked tirelessly to see that everything was beyond reproach. We owe them and the staff at Coon Creek a thank you, not idle complaints. - Jim Elliott

19. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

David ver Halen, one of the Northern Zone Directors at the handicapping table, was writing down the results of the Teams when I left. So, I'm guessing he's the one who has the results and needs to get them to Mr. Brasser.

This was a CGSTA event hosted by Coon Creek. As such, I would think it would be the CGSTA Director's responsibility to turn the results in. I could be wrong.

20. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

So why is it taking so long to post the scores ????
    I was there on Saturday but not Sunday, Not because of the winds, the averages don't really matter to me... I've been a member of the ATA for 7 Years, I get all kinds of flyers for shoots... Just seems a little strange that they didn't send flyers out this year and for a zone shoot ?? what's up with that??.. Jim you say "he/she should be responsible enough to post their name"...That's a load of BUNK!!! it shouldn't matter weather you post your name or not. I think barettashooter has legitimate concerns and questions and this is the perfect place to state them to get feed back on weather the concerns and Questions are plausible or not.... Now on the other hand It appears as though the preponderance of opinions support Coon Creek and they're staff... I personally know David ver Halen and believe he's a stand up guy so I' feel confident that the scores will be correct and that the ATA rules were adhered to... So I'm looking forward to seeing the scores and the Shoot results. It's just taking an awfully long time to post them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.