1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooler for Shotmaker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Quailtail, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quailtail

Quailtail Member

For those who are making their own shot, how have you got your coolant set up to keep it from over heating. Looking for a simple solution if there is one. I have heard of using heater cores, transmission coolers, copper pipe in a bucket of ice etc.

Which is the best and most economical way to keep your coolant cool?

Thanks
    Quailtail

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I don't know what is best but I bought a transmission cooler for about $40.00 and run a line from a Little Giant submersible pump from Granger for about $50.00 and set a fan behind it. Honestly I have never seen it above 110 degrees without the pump on. I do have about 15 gal of crop oil in the tank and I suspect that the sheer volume of liquid has alot to do with the heat build up. In short, smaller tank, more heat. I have a friend that drops into a small ice chest and uses antifreeze in gallon milk jugs left in the freezer overnight. He drops into water and liquid soap and can run for about three hours before he starts getting poorly shaped shot. His investment is almost nothing.

3. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

I have mine tied into a radiator from a Chevy 350, 4 core, it runs from the pump to the radiator then into the side of my tank , it returns to the tanks from a overflow, this makes for a consant flow, i've dropped for up to 7 hrs and never had my fluid very hot at all, Chuck

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I simply have a stick on thermometer on the side of my coolant tank. It gets to 105 and I stop

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I use an a old steam heater out of an industrial shop or off a ship. They are set up with a fan on the back and louvers to regulate the cooling. My batch systems are 125 lbs each. Starts at 80 and runs at 100 until finished.

Ajax

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I just recurculate mine through a plastic storage tub.. nothing fancy at all. the tub is on the ground and the coolant just spills back into it.. I have found the right mixture of coolant more important than the tempature of it..
    [​IMG]

7. curt67

curt67 TS Member

I have found that droping into water is by far the simplest and cheapest coolent there is, I have a garden hose dribbling in a small amount of water into the coolent tank, about the same amount that the shot displaces when it falls into the coolent tank, very simple and NO CLEAN UP. this system keeps the water at 55 to 65 degrees. any hotter and the shot deforms.

Curt67

8. pullll

pullll Member

WATER?

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

curt67 what kind of a shotmaker do you have?

Ajax

10. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Honda 1000 Goldwing radiator. $20, 1 inch hose in and out. New at this, but am going to try the water. Hate the cleanup on crop oil. What can it hurt other than a little remelt.

11. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

As I have ststed several times. I use crop oil and it is a bear to clean. I was told that un-deluited SUN detergent from Wally World works better an a rinse with water is all that is needed. I just bought 10 gals at about $4.50 a gal ( half the price of crop oil) and will give it a try shortly. Will report back.

Water only? Sounds almost dangerous but I have not tried it so I won't say it won't work. If it will the fellow above has just revolutionized shot making and he is my hero!

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

you can use water to drop your shot into, I have done it but it really needs to be heated up to the correct temp (i forget what it is) to work right..I never had as good of results with the water as i have with my soilbule oil.. I have tried everything, fabric softner probably made some of my best shot but it is a bee-itch to clean..

13. sasquach

sasquach Member

I use crop oil and have absolutly no problem cleaning it. I just run cold water through it until it runs clear. My biggest problem is getting it dry in the winter time. No heat in the barn. It probably takes 5-10 minutes to wash. I have buckets with holes in the bottom and a piece of window screen inside the bucket.

14. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I would seriously think twice before I get any water around melted lead. It gets violent and will explode. Just one drop trapped in a pipe and your in BIG trouble. Please reconsider that methold. I drop everything in brake fluid. Been doing it for 3 years and have
    never changed it. If my tank gets low I just add a little. Washes off easily

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Well Curt, are you going to make us guess?

Ajax

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have tried it.. dropping molten lead into water is very very different than dropping water into molten lead.. I know I have done both.. you dont want to drop any water into the molten lead...

17. curt67

curt67 TS Member

I didn't think the type of shot maker was important so i didn't say, it's an
    old Melvin Tayler, he's in Utah but no longer manufactures them, he is retired.
    It looks like all the rest, he was a pioneer before any of the others.
    I see there are some skeptics amoung some of you, will I've been droping into
    water for over four years, and what can I say, it works and works very well. One more thing I forgot to mention, to start with and every now and then add
    a single squirt of cheap dish detergent(from the doller store) this helps to break the surface tension of the water.
    keep in mind the water tempture is very important, the temp of the water out of my shop faucet is 55 deg. thats the temp I try to maintain, water warmer than 65 to 70 deg. will make the lead pop like pop corn. (NO EXPLOSIONS)
    You will get a feel for droping into water over time, you will be able to
    tell by the sound of the lead falling into the water if everything is all right. Try it, once you get the hang of it you will never go back to oil, soap,
    crop oil, or anything else.

Curt67@clearwire.net

18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Curt, I know Melvin Taylor. Grand gentleman, and I have two of his designed ladles. He showed Littleton's at trap shoots in the Pacific NW and then designed some of his own. The last time I talked to him was a couple of years ago. I'm not sure he's still alive, but I hope he is. He gave me a lot of tip and hints on making shot. He said the best stuff he had found for dropping was the old Western Family soap that he use to buy in this area. They changed the composition of the soap with surfactants and esters and it does work good at all.

The reason I asked, I thought you might be running a Bliemeister. The system is designed to use water as a coolant.

Is your unit a 110volt with 6 nozzles set up?

Ajax

19. curt67

curt67 TS Member

No, I've made some changes to Melvins orginal machine, it is 220 volts and I have wired in an eletric stove heat control unit,( you know,low,med, high, etc) this way I can control the tempture of the lead, if it begains to pop I turn the heat down a hair and add a ingot to the laddle cools everthing down
    in a hurry and stops the popping.
    i have seven drippers.I make my own, singles,doubles,triples, you need a hot machine for triple dripers, 21 streams of shot out of a single laddle unit.
    I talked to Melvin about six months ago, he is nearly blind but in good health.
    You are right a (Grand Gentleman)
    Thanks for asking Ajax

Curt

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

There seems to be a mystery around drippers meaning what they are made of, their size etc. Why not ordinary bolts with the proper size hole drilled in them? Insight please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.