1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coolant for shotmakers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm having lots of problems using antifreeze as coolant for my shotmaker. It seemed to work great at first, but now my shot is turning into all sorts of popcorn, dimples, out of shape. The shot seems to be coming out of the shotmaker fine, but as soon or shorty after it hits the coolant it turns to crap. I've been reading about Trim E206, a machining coolant. But, it's mostly water (more popcorn?). Break fluid is very expensive. I was quoted $20 per gallon for 12 gallons. Someone was using used ATF (washing off?). Has anyone come up with a coolant that works, that will wash off with water, other than antifreeze ($8-10 per gallon)?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Hit a Wally World and buy the cheapest laundry detergent you can find (warehouse clubs work too).

Washes off with water, if you get it on you just toss your clothes into the washer, no soap needed, and your shot smells spring time fresh...

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I have always had the best results with 10W oil either trans fluid or ISO 32 hydraulic. My washing operation is a little more labor intensive to remove the residual oil. It's a 5 step process using regular unleaded fuel and finally E-85 and when done using it, all of the oil/fuel is then burned in lawn tractors so no waste at all. I have NEVER had comet tails, popcorn, dimples or any of the other crap described on this site when using many of the other coolants. The original Shotmaster shot makers recommended using diesel (# 2 fuel oil) as the coolant. It makes good shot but I did not think it out weighed the flammability issue in the barn.

JK

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rick, what ratio do you use with the detergent or is it straight? Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

5. rcnuti

rcnuti TS Member

I just started making shot. I tried antifreeze, sun laundry detergent, crop oil concentrate, and peanut oil so far. All made good shot that break targets well. The peanut oil makes the best looking shot. Laundry detergent and crop oil are water soluble, but the peanut oil does even better, so it is worth the extra cleaning work. I would not use antifreeze with the other 3 available.

Russell Nuti

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

For laundry soap do NOT use one designed for front loading machines - it has additives that make it extra low sudsing and it does not make very good shot...

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

8. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I used laundry detergent but it had to be a brand that wasnt too runny. Had to be thicker stuff or I had the same problems you are having. Been a while since I did it , but I think ERA was the brand I used.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I tried the soap method, but it took forever to get the soap off the shot, lots of rinsing with water. Maybe I had the stuff with the additives I didn't know diesel was the recommended coolant originally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.