1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coolant for shot maker.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herb Roach, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Gentlemen: I need to know what coolant you use with you shot maker, and whether you would like to use something other than what you are presently using. I am using CROP OIL, at about $9.00 per gallon. I have a 20 gal tank, so you can see why I am looking for something less expensive. Some person on here said he was using water, others various solutions of anti-freeze, some use soapy water. Are you satisfied?? If you use anti-freeze, do you add water to it? If you use anything else, is it diluted in any way? Thanks for whatever advice you can give me. I am just wanting to reduce the cost of making shot. Herb Roach

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

been using antifreeze. bout a 50/50 mix with good results. I have always wanted to try crop oil to see if it would get rid of that tiny squelching pin hole that we get. Does it? anyway we run a 20-30 gl tank as well so we are in the same boat.

3. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Herb we have been using Sun laundry detergent undiluted with good results. It seems to get thicker with each use so have started to dilute with water, a little at a time. This seem to be working very good also. No mess cleanup and your shot smells like Lavender. Hope this helps.
    Carey

4. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

I have made some pretty good shot, but Jim says to keep the coolant about 3/16 inch from the bottom of the lip. My biggest problem, I think is getting the shot to exit the ramp. I use McDonalds french fry baskets, and up until today, I have set them pretty close to the top of the coolant. I am revamping my equipment, including raising it up off the floor so I can get more surface area. One other thing I am doing is using bricks inside the tank so I don't have to use as much coolant. That works! I had terrible shot the last time I made some, my #9 shot was closer to 7.5. and my 7.5 was somewhat bigger. As far as the hole, sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. That is what I am working on now. I don't have any kind of cooler installed, but I am in the process of setting up a transmission cooler with fan so see if it will work, if not, I am thinking of getting a horse watering trough from Rural King and putting the xmission cooler in it. I am very limited to space, so can't spread out too much. I was wondering if someone on here was diluting their crop oil to help control the cost. I have screens and sieves and a table to help grade the shot. Everything that isn't shot goes back into the next batch of ingots. I only make for myself, but would probable sell some if I can get the proper setup. Also, crop oil is a bitch to remove, even though it is supposed to be water soluable. It is used to help bug spray and fertilizer adhere to crops and weeds, even when it rains, which is exactly what is going to happen right here in the next few minutes. Major storm headed this was with 50/60 MPH winds, so I am shutting down. Will return after the rain. Herb

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Herb, We've been using straight Dexron-Mercon ATF or Light Hydraulic (Not the heavy stuff for tractors) Oil. You do have an additional step involved now with the washing of the oil off of the shot with Unleaded fuel and then E-85 but the shot turns out great.

Jeff

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Since 1987 I have experimented with about everything I could think of as coolant for shot. I've never tried crop oil.

The liquid laundry was great until they started putting surfactants and esters in it. I called the company and got to talk to the chemist( he was surprised when I told him what I was using it for. LOL) and found the changes were made for front loading machines, so the soap would not suds as much. It pretty much ruined a good coolant. If you do run soap, I would suggest you find a Specific Hydrometer and add the water for the correct density for good shot. The water should set in it over night. The water will not mix immediately even stirred well and the water spots will popcorn the shot. It has been a while so I don't remember what the magic number was and it's different with different brands.

Normally soft lead will run a bigger shot size than your dripper are drilled for. You may want to figure some way to check the hardness of the ingots.

Good Luck,
    Ajax

7. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

I am back. We didn't fare too badly, but Vincennes, which is about 35 miles SW got hit pretty hard. Just saw some video on the evening news. One thing I forget to say about crop oil. I used reg gasoline, outside, just poured the shot into the bucket, swished it around with a paddle, and then dumped the gasoline into another bucket, thru a sieve, which caught all the shot, put a little DAWN in the bucket and swished it and set the shot out in the sun on a flat piece of plywood to dry. In Indiana summers, especially this one, that don't take a long time. Before I tried gasoline, I had a hell of a time getting the oil off. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I guess I could go to Big Lots or Dollar General and buy soap, but that sounds almost as expensive as crop oil. I don't know about transmission fluid, but if you buy it by the quart it gets kind of expensive. Herb

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I use water soluable cutting oil like I run in my cnc machines..it makes really good shot and NO cleanup is necessary.. I have tried water, fire retardant hyd. oil, and fabric softner.. the fabric softner actually made the best shot but clean up is a bee-itch.. been making shot for 12-14 years..

9. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

blkcloud, where is cutting oil available? Does it cost an arm and a leg like Crop Oil? In the shop I used to frequent, they used a lot of cutting oil, but it seems to me they cut it with water, gave it a milky look. Herb

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have access to wheel weights - and from the same shops brake fluid from their power-purge systems...

This is used brake fluid, but it is water soluble and FREE - needs to be filtered (paint filter is all one needs).

Clean up is fairy easy - WATER - every now and then (don't know why) you might need to add some Dawn to the water and agitate instead of just rinsing it.

I've 'farmed out' the shot production now, and the system is now using Sun laundry soap (I suspect this has NOT been modified for 'front loaders' for it seams to work the best...

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Herb I use the TRIM E206 we buy it in 5 gallon buckets from MSC here is a link to it,.. http://www.amazon.com/Master-Chemical-E206-1-Cutting-Fluid/dp/B002KH814S

I do mix it with water but this type stays blue it doesnt turn white.and has a good pretty good smell.. a little bit goes a long way.. I have never measured how much I put per gallon.. I usually pour in the water and add the coolant until its real blue looking.. if my shot is not looking right I just add a little more.. Like I said.. there is no clean up.. I let it drain and end up with nice shiney shot, you can rinse it with water but I never do.. thanks!

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I finally went to Dot 3 brake fluid. It's expensive but it works well. I have also tried a cutting oil, mine was the milky color and hard to keep the density consistent.

I have never tried the Blue stuff that blkcloud is using. Sounds like it might be a plan. I have a small shot maker set up that's easy to try different coolants. When I find something that works, I can buy enough for the two bigger setups. That way I don't have a lot of money invested on coolant that doesn't work.

Ajax

13. sasquach

sasquach Member

I don't understand why every one is having so much trouble cleaning crop oil off shot. I have buckets with holes in the bottom and a piece of screen in the bottom. I just run cold water through the shot until it runs clear. maybe 3-4 minutes. That is it. I set the bucket inside another one and let it drain good before I rinse. Water runs milky for a bit but soon clears up and I lose little oil.

14. zinger

zinger Member

what causes the football shaped shot? Also, I've soapstoned the hell out of the lip before starting but always seem to get big goobers hanging up. Is that from maybe contaminated lead? thx

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the MSC coolant

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Zinger, spray some graphite on the lip before you start., I use the type made for door locks, the globs are probably from the lip not being heated enough, the handiest thing you can have while making shot is a propane torch.. as soon as the globs start, hit it with the flame and PRESTO no more globs.. guarenteed!

17. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Been using Crop Oil for the last couple of years. I cut it about a third with water and have no trouble washing it off. I just wheel the setup over to my hydrant and let the water run in and drain thru a screen in the bottom of the tank. It can really be the pits if you let it set to long before washing. I found that if you run to much lead in the bowl you can get the large goobers, and the advice for using the propane torch is also good. Hope you have some better luck.
    Bill

18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If the lip is clean and covered with soap stone, top,front and underneath and you still have release trouble. You probably have more Tin in the batch than you want. Tin causes the lead to "grab" and slow or even stop the roll off the lip.

Ajax

19. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

WOW! I am overwhelmed. I thought I would get some response, but not this much. A good thing I have a printer. All of you are very helpful. I respect your advice because I know it comes from experience. Most of my experiences were learned the hard way: If you hit you thumb with a hammer, you learn damn quick not to hit it anymore. But, I seem to go on hitting it from time to time. Slow learner. blkcloud, I am going to call a friend at the local machine shop and see if I can save shipping. He's a good dood, may even have some on hand that he will sell. I am also have a problem buying wheel weights. One of the largest dealers in southern Indiana hasn't sold any for nearly three years. Some of the others are demanding high prices but most have a steady customer. I think I can get some where my daughter lives, most of the time when I'm there, I don't have a way to transport it. Thanks again, all of you. Good shooting! Herb

20. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

I use the pink RV antifreeze and have had good luck. There are slight dimples on the shot, but nothing too bad. Just rinse with water to clean up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best coolant for lead shot making
coolant for making lead shot
lead shot coolant

lead shot making tips

make lead shot

shot maker

what coolant to use for littleton shot maker
when using a littleton shot maker easier to make in 8 shot or 5 shot