1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cool 1936 car video

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by birdtracker, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

http://www.dump.com/2011/07/15/fascinating-1936-footage-of-car-assembly-line-video/

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

This should make it easier.

That was neat to watch those 36 Chev's being built. That was the last year for those "c" channel frames, they went to "top hat" in 37. The newer frames are still under a lot of those old cars that have been made into hotrods. The older frames had to be boxed in or new frames built to stand up to V8's.

That was the last year they stopped using a lot of wood in the body structure as well.

Don't know if you noticed or not, on the finishing stage, the cars had one tail/stop light on the left side of the car. In those days, a second light and windshield wiper was optional. My 37 Business Coupe came with 2 lights, one wiper.

rickbarker_2009_2505120.jpg

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

That is one nice coupe.

4. revbook

revbook Member

No wonder the Nazis couldn't out produce us during the war.

Don

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

very cool. i didn't know we were that automated, on that large of scale, waaay back then

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Nice car Rick. I'd bet there is more than one jealous person on this forum. lol

7. Rick Barker

likes-to-shoot

Well thanks much, but you and other purists would hate my guts right now, if you saw it, sitting in my garage with an LS1 engine and 4L60E trans in it, 15 inch chrome wheels and BF Goodrich low profiles in front.

It is sitting about 5 inches or more lower, with mustang type suspension, 11 inch discs in the front and Ford rearend, Flaming River column and rack & pinon steering, wooden Banjo wheel with chrome center spokes. You could get a banjo wheel on the Master Deluxe as an option, Ford was not the only one to have it.

Two color metaflake (which I used a waterbased paint) with Dakota Digital instruments, nav system, and XM/Sirus radio. When I do get it finished, it will have a blue demin interior, air, remote security, and pushbutton start. Two largest cost items besides the engine and trans was the all aluminim Griffin radiator and the 20 gallon aluminum pressurized fuel tank.

Why did I destroy such a fine piece of art? Well, I drove it some five years as you see it in the pic I posted, but it would not go over 50 miles an hour and if I went over some railroad tracks, the car would bounce for a week. I had to replace the 6 volt battery often, even when I removed it from the car and put a conditioner on it. The 6 volt lighting system was so week, a fast moving car cold come on me very quick at night and it would be all over. Fuel filter clogged up often and required cleaning often.

I always wanted to build a hotrod and this car was flawless in body and frame.
    Restoring cars is easy, building them is a talent and I am not sure I have it.
    Do don't even want to know what I did with all the parts I pulled off of it.

I will take some pics, when I get it out in the daylight.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Good video, when i was a kid my Dad took me to the John Deere Tractor works in Waterloo, Ia, that was really cool also

You will have a nice little ride when you're done Rick, I have helped a bunch of my buddies build them I never have, but I have all the tools to make the parts for them, and I get to drive theirs when ever I want to, they were pretty much a money pit, but fun as hell when you get the finished

9. Rick Barker

Catpower

Well I don't have a shop like I would want, Just about everything I am working on is bolt on stuff.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Rick, You are my hero! :)

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That's amazing.

Ponder the shamefulness of going from that level of technological innovation and achievement 5 years before WWII to the corporate welfare disgrace that GM has become today.

-Gary

12. Rick Barker

Back then, people took pride in being Americans and were not pushing for their own agenda.

I greatly admire the generations that era.

Thank you Bill.

13. birdtracker

Rick: nice car. I have enjoyed working on cars since 1973 at the age of 10. I painted my first car at 15. I restored a Duesenburg,a Packard, a 77 Dodge Little Red Express, 6 Porsche speedsters, 70 Dodge Challenger, 40 Plymouth 4 door, 65 Dodge Coronet convertible, 81 Dodge Mirada, and currently am working on 3 Plymouth Dusters. I like all kinds 30s,40s,50,60s and 70s. Thought it was a cool video. Birdtracker

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Rick: Please post some current pics!

-Gary

15. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Seems like there are a lot of what some might call "robots" in that video .
    Wonder why the UAW et al bellyache NOW about being replaced by robots - seems like it's been going on for decades.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

16. Rick Barker

Gary, I will have to take some during the day and tomorrow is out, because I'm going trapshooting. I have to get my priorities in line.

Birdtracker. My hat is off to you for being able to do so many over the years.
    I have owned a lot of cars, but have only done some restros over the last decade or so.

I agree that is a great video you posted. Be nice if we could find it with a narrated version. Also missing was the touching up of things, like lead fill in of the joints between the roof and the body. Those guys were craftsmen!

"Stovebolts" was the affectionate term given to those old Chevys, because they did have a lot of stovebolt fasteners. Old cars from that era did not see the inside of a lot of dealership garages. Many were repaired by the owner with hardware purchased from the nearest hardware store, whenever possible. I have the service manual for this car, it's nothing compared to todays which would be in books larger than NYC telephone directory.

If you ever get out to Auburn and South Bend Indiana, take a tour of the Auburn-Duesenberg museum and Studebaker as well. While Studebaker is not the classic art forms of the Packard and Duesenburgs, it is an almost tragic story of a great company that fell on hard times.

One of the saddest memorys I have is my grandmothers 1948 Packard, Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan, I think it was, cost almost $5,000.00 when it was brand new. 1948!!
    After she died, my father took the car and drive a while, let his sisters drive it, damaged a front fender, then put it in a storage container for some 20 years. After my dad got sick, my brother started selling off his estate. He pulled the Packard out of the storage container and it was compelety rusted inside and out. Mice got into it, and between them and the elements, the insides were destroyed as well.

After my father died, my mom told me it was my grandmothers wish that I get the Packard after she passed away. I sure would not have treated it like my dad did. The car had less than 70,000 miles on it when it went into the container and still sounded as strong as when that straight 8 first fired up. Sad, really sad.

17. Rick Barker

Mine too, passenger door only. I find the 37-39's my favorites, followed by the 50-54's.

You can buy door handles and keyed sets from "I&I Reproduction Parts". Other vendors that have parts for these vintage cars is "The Filling Station", and "Chevy's Of The Forties"

A really good book that tells a lot about the Chevys from this era is "A Pictorial History of Chevrolet 1929-1939" by John D. Robertson Copyright 1998 by Amos Press Inc. Library of Congress ISBN 1-880524-25-2

According to a reference source book I have, my car retailed new for $619.00, weighed 2770 lbs and there were 54,683 built, including the Master Deluxe version of the coupe.

It is that light weight I am really excited about. When I pulled the straight 6, 215cid, I bent the arm on my engine crane. The engine, trans, torque rod and rear end functioned as one unit. Oil from the trans went through the driveshaft to the rear end. After I put the LS1 and trans it in, I found I can push it across my garage floor with one hand and very little effort. The LS1 which is 346 cubes, weighs 1/3 the weight of the standard GM 350 engine, since it has all alum block and heads. The short block alone, weighs 96-97 lbs. Of course the trans will add a little weight back into the car, but I'll bet the whole combo is still lighter than the stock unit.

The stock weight of the car weighs 669 lbs less than the last generation Camaros which this engine, I think first appeared in 1999. The year before that it first showed up in the Corvette.

I am hoping it will be a nice highway crusier with at least 20 mpg, and it burns regular gas. After I ripped all the EPA stuff off the engine, I had the PCM reprogrammed to run its best without all that crap.

Good night ya all. After I get back in tomorrow afternoon from shooting I'll be back to torment, confuse, enrage and entertain again.

18. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Thanks Bird Tracker a neat video!

I see they have a lot bigger presses than I operate at work we only have 200 ton max and on down to around 75 ton I went to a trainning class for a few days a few months ago about presses and they was telling about the big presses in the car and tractor plants I see there are probably 4 or so that operates 1 press I can see how it would be dangerous without all the safety wquipment that they have now days im glad my presses are only for 1 person to operate.

Foggy

19. birdtracker

Rick: I have forgot a few. I did a 1928 Dodge Brothers car for a 82 year old guy. The smile he had on the day he came and picked it up was worth its weight in gold. When I did Porsche 356's we had a lead guy. Thats all he did. It is an art. I did metal work, paint, and assembly. Here is a parts car my son and I just parted out this week.The parts will be used to complete 3 others. Birdtracker
    birdtracker_2008_0303_17.jpg

20. Rick Barker

Wow, you like the hard stuff don't you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.