1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cookies and Java Script@#$%

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1-straight, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1-straight

1-straight TS Member

I am trying to set up a new laptop - beautiful little computer!! I have used the excite dot com website as a homepage for years!! So, now, I get this message that says that my browser - XP Pro / IE-7 is not accepting cookies or Java script from them (excite) - results is that I can't get back on!!! I can get back on with no problem with my old desktop (IE7/XP Home)...??? I have set all of the security and privacy options, as default (which looks exactly like my old desktop)!! Any ideas here?? Really frustrating for someone who used to do this for a living!! (13 years ago)!!!
    Regards
    1-Straight

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Dump IE-7 and go back to IE-6.

All the gurus say that IE-7 suxx!

3. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Do not know what all you did...I do not use that, but my settings are as follows.......

Tools

Internet options

Privacy tab, Click on the Advanced rectangle:

Put a dot to "Overide automatic cookie handling."

Then Put a dot to "Accept first party cookies."

Now put a dot to "Block third party cookies."

Also go to Advanced tap and schroll down to Java (sun) and put a check there. Have to hit apply for changes to take place and may have to restart your computer.

On the Security tab I have mine at Medium. At the bottom of this tab is another place where you block Pop Ups if you do not want them. Some sites require Pop Ups. Ray

4. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Give consideration to Mozilla. We switched a couple of months ago and haven't looked back. Easy to configure and easy to use. Apple Safari is another option. I downloaded a beta a couple of weeks ago. I like it but, it's still a little buggy. When they get the bugs worked out, I'll probably switch. I'm pretty much done with IE.

5. C H S

C H S TS Member

Run, don't walk, to Firefox. IE 6 is a virus trap and IE 7 is too glitchy. You can customize Firefox with a couple hundred addons and it's far safer than anything MS can produce.

Andy

6. DickG

DickG TS Member

I second the suggestion to switch to Firefox. Had all kinds of problems with IE.
    Switched to Firefox about a year ago, and never looked back.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Dump Windows entirely and go to Linux. It's usually free for the download and there's a ton of free applications to do the everyday tasks. You can usually set up Firefox or another Mozilla derivative as your browser. There is a bit of a learning curve, but you can try out a Linux distribution on a live disk without installing anything on your PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.