1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cook County, IL. vs. Cabela's - How Stupid!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bobdog, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

This is what happens when there is absolutely no opposition party in evidence. If there's a Republican party in Cook County, I'd like to know where it is.

2. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

Cook County Gov't is a joke

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

This may end up being a non-starter for Cook County. If Hoffman Estates is a home rule unit, Cook County may not be able to pass a such a restrictive ordinance. The local home rule units override county laws.

Someone who knows Illinois, Cook County, and Hoffman Estates laws, will be the best to answer the constitutionality of the law. Let's hope saner heads prevail.

Best,
    Dennis

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

And the Grand is held in what state????????????/

GS

5. dust100

dust100 TS Member

I love the state of Illinois (down state), but honestly, can anyone give me 3 reason why they would live in Cook County. With high and ever increasing taxes, ungodly traffic problems, questionable educational systems, high crime rates which are hidden and masked by a corrupt political system. and now this...I've had enough! I'm moving to Indiana which is the most affordable state in the midwest. Actually, the last straw was doing away with Chief Illniwek, how ridiculous, but that's Illinois.

6. Questor

Questor TS Member

C'mon, it's Cook County! What do you expect?

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... the ISRA is a good organization but are full of a bunch of whacko's always out trying to make a bad situation out of good situations and worse situations out of bad situations. Whenever an organization like the ISRA begins to rant and rave and release press releases like that one it almost always goes to hurt the overall cause of what they are organized to do.

If Cook County is trying to do something against Cabela's they surely do not have a chance in hell of accomplishing it. That store was planned there many many many months before construction began and many many permits were needed to build that store along with the firearms license and everything else that was needed and ya know what ... it was all approved ... so now how are they going to tell them they have to close ... it just aint going to happen and it is really quite comical to even think they would even try but then it is Cook County.

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

The whole dam state of Illinois is for the birds! Makes me ill just hearing the word.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ... Illinois ...

Aint it a great state to be associated so highly with the ATA?

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

lumper,

You are so wrong because Cook County has done it before and will damn sure do it again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Lets see ... Cook County vs. Mom&Pop Shop Inc ... yep Cook County going to close them up faster than an Ethiopian chicken but when your looking at size of Cabela's and the overall taxes that store will bring in not only to the county but to the state and espicially for the state now being able to get sales taxes on any and all internet sales of Cabela's I highly doubt anything at all will change but hey ya never know ... there are also those who believe that come this Thursday and 12:13pm a large space craft will emerge from the sky and teleport all life forms on this planet into deep space threw the StarGate in the bottom of Mt Pentatuba.

Now if that really happens I will also then change my thoughts about anything happening to Cabela's.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Would cabelas realy close? or would they just drop the FFL for that store?

13. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I say let it pass only if Cabelas will take it to the Supreme Court. They have the funds and we now will have hand-gun issue from DC and Chicago-Cook County going to the Supreme Court in this upcoming 2008 year.

14. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Rip12, the problem here is not one of Federal jurisdiction. It's a matter of local zoning and property use laws. Unless there is an underlying violation of Federal law, anyone will have a difficult time getting one of these cases into Federal Courts, even at the appeal level.

State and local governments have very wide latitude when it comes to governing use of private property. Things like deed and use restrictions are usually upheld by the Federal Courts.

This attitude by local governments has been boosted for years by people not wanting the Walmarts, and shopping malls in their towns. While not on the same scale as Walmart, Cabelas is a "bix box" chain. There is also a great deal of corruption in Cook County at all levels. I live in Wayne County, Michigan, and the corrupt bunch here look like pikers compared to the pros in Cook County, Illinois. People also have the "it's not my problem" attitude, since it involves that four-letter word "guns"

Dennis

15. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I sure am glad I don't live anywhere that $hithole of Chicago...Bill

16. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Any bets that the ACLU will NOT comment or get involved??

Sad situation.

FN in MT

17. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Back East, Cabelas had all the permits and was ready to break ground on a huge site which they wanted to be the anchor store. Cabelas got into it with the local government about charging sales taxes on Internet sales. Neither side would back down so Cabelas took it's large check book and walked out of town. Without the land developer and anchor store, the whole shopping center plan was abandoned. I don't remember all the specifics, but maybe someone local can fill us in on the specifics. When you come from Western Nebraska and build mountains of game trophies in your stores, I don't think they are scared to go to court. IMHO Omaha

18. higun

higun Member

Omaha

It sounds to me like you might be referring to the Cabela's in Scarborough Maine. I can tell you that in spite of our Governer's best efforts the Cabela's is going forward. I drive by the site 2 or 3 times a week on my way to the Scarborough Fish & Game Club.

We can hardly wait for the Grand Opening !!!

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Cabelas should have some insulation against new law as they already exist in their present location. New stores or a move would subject them to new ordinances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cabelas in cook county il

illinoise vs cabelas

is cabelas in cook county