1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Convincing One-Eyed Shooters to Convert

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ESMDHokie, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

At team practice last week we had a college student girl come out and try her hand at trap with my 391 and she put up very good scores for someone who had never used a shotgun before, 17,18, and 14. She is, however, a rifle and pistol shooter of some years and experience. Obviously from the thread title she had her left eye closed.

So with this shooter and just one-eyed shooters in general how to you tell them that they will do better with both eyes open? Or should you just not bother something if it isn't broke in their opinion?

thanks,
    Phil

2. powderburn

powderburn Member

Phil,
    I feel you will always pick up the target faster, and track its path quicker with both eyes open. You lose depth perception with one eye shut. I started with one eye closed like probably just about everyone. But, in time, by focusing on the target, not your barrel, the gun will go where your eyes go. I like to tell people it's like reverse periferal vision. By that, I mean this. I'm a symphony bass trombonist. When I'm looking at the music on the stand, I can still see the conductor giving direction. I can see him in the distance even though I'm focusing on the music. When I shoot, I'm focusing on the target (in the distance), but can see my gun barrel too. In other words, I'm looking directly at the conductor (target), but can still see my music.
    You can run into opposite eye dominance. I still believe, though, that even if you're a left-handed shooter, and for some reason you're right eye dominant, it still should not matter if you are truly focusing on the bird. Some people say "I see two barrels" when I use both eyes. I don't feel they are looking at the bird. I'm a quick shooter. It can lead to spot shooting. That's a bad habit to get into. I constantly want to swing. Anyway, all that may help you. It may not, but I think it's something to think about. Let her shoot a while with one eye, then, have her try with both. I believe her scores will improve. Not at first, but in time.
    -all the best, -powderburn

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Some people say "I see two barrels" when I use both eyes. I don't feel they are looking at the bird."

This also is a totally ignorant statement.

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Wow this place is getting hostile..

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, that was uncalled for. It's easy to be mouthy on a website. I suspect that someone is having issues with his masculinity.

-Gary

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

And for the record Brooks, I see two barrels with both eyes open. That is normal and I am far from ignorant.

7. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

To the others, thanks for the feedback.

To JBrooks,
    I beg your pardon for asking a question. I'm a 21 year old who has only shot trap for 3 years and I'm damn proud of how far I've come from shooting in the 70s to shooting in the 90s in that time. I'm not a Lindenwood shooter on scholarship with a K or P gun; I'm a just a goose hunter who owns a trap gun and pays his own way through college and shooting and I have no complaints about how I do things. As an older member of my college's club sport team it's my place to help the younger members.

As far as I could tell there was not a eye dominance issue.

-Phil

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Don't let fools bother you, Phil. You asked a reasonable question and never claimed to be an expert. Congratulations on your impressive accomplishments.

-Gary

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Phil, (and the others), too bad you got your noses out of joint. You can't fix stupid but you sure can fix ignorance and you need to go fix it. It should be your palce to help new members. It is not your place to screw them up.

Remstar, when I shot two eyed, I didn't see two barrels, only one. When I started seeing two barrels, I started shooting with one eye. You may be a lot closer than you think.

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If your focus is on the house or the bird, you will see two barrels. I dont care who you are.(unless you only have one eye). That is not debatable.

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Both my wife and I are one eyed shooters. Both left eye dominate. There is no changing for us. Oh by the way Nora Ross is also a one eyed shooter. Does she need to change also? Jake

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"If your focus is on the house or the bird, you will see two barrels. I dont care who you are.(unless you only have one eye). That is not debatable."

How long did it take you to ask everybody this question so that you can be so sure of your answer as to make it not debatable?

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Recently we had a lot of newer shooter at the trap range. When the debate of one or or two came up. The gent you told me to "see it kill it". He also ways told me keep your eyes on the target swing and follow through. that being said. He went on a little rampage about one eye vs two eye when some other shooters where just giveing wrong and overloaded info to some newbies.
    First he asked the new shooters "Do you know what eye is your dominate eye"
    he got "no" from all 4. he dragged them aside and figured they where all R eye dom and all shot righty.
    2nd He asked " do you know how to hit a nail with a hammer?"
    "yes"
    He got a hammer and nails from his truck. A board from the wood pile
    Had them all trying to drive nails with 1 eye open
    Lets say they didnt do well
    He then told them, both eyes open, dont "aim" at anything
    forget about the beads.
    As far as eyes go. at the end of the little rage he had. he said
    "why in gods name would you give up the advantage of seeing with both eyes"
    You can not convince anyone to do anything. comeing from rifle/pistol shooting you will be faced with other issues besides the 1eye vs 2eye. Wait until you are trying to tell them they are stopping their swing and slowly squeezeing the trigger.
    At the end they all where shooting better, no when they get hooked and show up more often. He will lay "gun fit" on them. PS I showed him what I picked up here a couple of years ago about Neil W. 13y system he really liked it. He alsways liked to lock the trap on 3. Thats not easy to do at our club though.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"As far as eyes go. at the end of the little rage he had. he said "why in gods name would you give up the advantage of seeing with both eyes""

One wouldn't until one starts seeing with the wrong eye.

The luddites that say it has to be done a certain way or it's the wrong way are why most shooters never average more than 93. They would rather drop targets than admit they have a cross dominance problem. They would rather drop targets while looking for a cure to their flinching rather than get a release trigger. They will use hold points that don't work for them just because some guy at the club said that is the way to do it.

And Phil, tell me what percentage of female shooters are cross dominant.

15. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I too see two barrels when I shoot with two eyes open and for years shot one eyed.I bought a new shotgun that had a barrel blinder on it and found out that I didn't shoot with one eye I just closed one and when I called for the bird I opened the other one.I noticed instantly with the barrel blinder on that I still saw two barrels,because one had a bead and the other one did not because of the blinder,I at least new which barrel to use now.After realizing this I decided I might as well open them both.After putting a dot on my glasses the other barrel eventually went away(after suffering through some pretty poor scores).I see targets much faster out of the house but the thing I notice the most is that when shooting all day at a registered shoot my eyes are much less fatigued at the end of the day.Jerry

16. The Kissable Wanker

The Kissable Wanker TS Member

I think all you well meaning people need to start reading and listening to Mr. Phil Kiner on eye dominance. As a shooter/instructor he has forgotten more than you have posted on this subject. Thanks to the idiots I came in contact with who advised me the same way, and through their constant harping, I spent years trying to shoot two eyed. In any individual year, I rarely had a singles score in the low 90's and several in the low 70's. Guess what, these self same righteous Bozo's didn't have a clue about this issue. I'm one of those with severe cross dominance issues. Once I started to shoot one eyed my scores immediately were in the 90's all the time and had two 99's that year. Within two years I was punched back to the 24 after more than a decade on the 20 without a score in the 80's.

17. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sorry fred, but if she is like the majority of females, she is cross dominant and focusing on the target with the wrong eye just because the conventional wisdom is that "two eyes are better than one" is just plain stupidity.

18. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If she is a rifle and pistol shooter, she's looking at the front sight. Convince her to just focus on the target, hard for a bullet shooter, and keep your mouth shut about how many eyes she uses. JB makes a good point about women shooters. People that try to coach should learn, and teach the basics, and not try to jump start new shooters to the top.

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

MIA, I don't post to try to win a popularity contest and my ego has nothing to do with it. What really pisses me off about this sport is how many guys say "you have to do it this way". That is BS. All they do is keep a lot of shooters struggling. Look at the wanker's post above. His situation has been as is continuing to be replicated by guys like the kid that started this thread and a couple of the other posters.

I get a lot of enjoyment seeing guys shoot good scores and I always feel bad when I see a guy not shooting to his potential because he has bought into some standard line of crap.

And hey, if people don't want to read my stuff, so be it. If it offends them, just maybe they should be offended.

20. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Two eyed shooting in women has to be relegated to the same trash bin as "you have to see a figure 8 with the beads". Phil Kiner says only 5% or LESS can shoot two eyed and he has the proof on tape. D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
corey cogdell cross domanance
corey cogdell tape on shooting glasses why
stock fit one eyed shooter

why does corey cogfell put tape on her glasses