1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Converting to extract from eject on a Browning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stokinpls, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I decided I needed to convert my Browning Citori Plus over to extract. I remembered some older threads on here that suggested removing the extractor springs and replacing them with "springs from a ball point pen". I did this and was happy with the result for about 320 shots, when the gun suddenly refused to close. When I pulled the forend off, one of the ejector spring rods had jumped out of the socket(the spring was still in place) and wasn't allowing the ejector hammer to move back into position. I put it back in place and continued on to finish the event (another 50 shots).

I am now wondering if I left something out of the procedure or there is a better solution to this. As you agree, equipment problems can wreck your concentratiom.

If anyone can help with this, I would sure appreciate it. Maybe this is what I get for relying on my memory. ;-)

I'd also like to add that, when this occurred, I had numerous offers of help. One guy even loaned me his gun to finish the round. And especially one gentleman who provided the needle nose pliers I needed for the repair. The man with the pliers even brought his spare gun to the line for back-up, which I fortunately didn't need. To all of you typical trapshooters, I say "Thank You!".

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Go to ShotGunWorld.com forum, scroll down to the browning shotguns section, it will be the first sticky there........complete with pictures.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'm a new guy here, a converted lurker, and I might be able to offer a suggestion from having made this conversion on at least a half dozen XTs that snapped retaining pins off their ejectors due to the force of the hammers.

The 1911 firing pin springs mentioned in the SGW thread will work but they are too long in stock form if you buy the Wilson Combat springs from Brownells. They will coil bind if they shift the wrong way. To use them you need to cut 3-4 coils from each spring and then grind the cut end a little flat.

A cheaper solution is found in any good hardware store that has a spring selection. Buy a pair of 12 turn "ball point pen springs" 1/4" O.D., free length of 1.4" made of ±.032" wire. If I knew what the spring number was I could post that but they are standard springs. They will feel a little stiff but they will work perfectly as extractor springs and I have yet to have one sack out.

<center>[​IMG]</img></center>

Good luck!

MK

4. wlc

wlc Member

stolinpls,

What springs did you use for replacements? They might not have had enough compression to keep the end of the pin in place. I replaced the ones in my wifes XT with some 7/32 OD, 1-1/4 long, and .032 wire. Haven't used it enough yet to know how it's going to work. Judging from the ejector action, they could probably be heavier and still only extract.

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Yes, the 1911 Firing Pin Return springs from Wilson Combat are a shade long, just cut off a couple of coils. I've had thousands of rounds through an XT though, with no trouble and I didn't cut the springs at all.

Yes, go to Shotgunworld and look in the Browning forum. The instructions are not bad.;)

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

My thanks to all of you folks. I was able to locate the hardware variety springs at ACE, am headed to the gunshow for some 1911 springs this weekend and currently have the springs and pins removed from my gun to see if that's what I want. Thanks for giving me so many choices and so much information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.