1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Converting Old Winchester Handset Trap to 12v DC?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by buttermilk, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buttermilk

buttermilk TS Member

I'm looking for information about converting an old Winchester handset trap from 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC. The idea is to allow a trap to be set up and used where 120 volt AC isn't available.

At this point I don't know if an AC to DC conversion is practical or cost effective. I am hoping someone with actual experience can help. If so, please drop me a private message.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Shipp, aka Buttermilk

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

The cheap and dirty way is to use a converter. These are usually low wattage so make sure you buy one that can support the draw of the trap. Clamp the + and - leads to a deep- cycle battery and plug the ac lead from the trap into the outlet on the front of the converter. The converters are usually for sale at Auto-stores and RV dealers. Costs start in the $50 range and figure another $50 for the deep cycle (marine) battery

--- Chip King ---

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

May just be simpler to find a used generator than to run down a 12 volt battery and have it fail in the middle of your shooting day .

4. traploader

traploader Member

buttermilk,

Check out my site above for information on 12 volt powerpacks for your handset machine. I ran 10.6 amps (two motors) on the Xantrex Powerpack 1500 for 65 minutes continuously before shut down at 10.5 volts. Xantrex comes with 1500 inverter and a sealed AGM 60 amp hour battery.

I recommend using a 1200 running watt inverter with a peak of 2000 or more. I picked up one for $75 on sale. Much cheaper than converting 1/3hp motor, X127, X242 switch, X126C, X128 solenoids etc.

I'll send you pictures of my unit if you send me a PM or email.

Ian Brotherston Western Retro Products

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.