1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

converting a sporter..can it be done??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lineman1002, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lineman1002

lineman1002 Member

Hello fellow clay shooters, as a newbie to trap and loving it so much the sporter is sitting. I have a ultra xs just sitting and was wondering in my pea brain if it is worth the money to tranform her into my trap shooting jewel or trade her off? Thanks for any input, also put a pic of the ultra xs if it's possible to transform her. Todd
    [​IMG]

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

The term "Sporting" has everything to do with stock dimensions and very little to do with the actual mechanism.

So find yourself a trap stock that fits your gun and you will have a Browning trap gun.

I'm guessing that someone has one that will fit or someone will be happy to trade with you.

3. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Send the buttstock to Tron, Ruck, or Greg Hissem to have an adjustable comb installed. You can adjust your comb to the raise the POI for trap. Or, as Jerry mentioned...trade for, or purchase a trap stock. The adjustable comb will make your shooter a bit more versatile, though.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Todd: I would opt for having an adjustable comb installed. You then can adjust as needed for all the clay target disciplines. Ed

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

For Trap, you are going want 30-32 inch barrels, so if your Ultra XS meets that, then the simplest thing is to add an adjustable comb. This will let you set the POI for trap by raising the comb.

The only real issue (if the bbls are long enough) is that sporting guns are frequently lighter than trap guns. If this is case for yours, you might find it tiring over longer sessions. Oh, and one more thing, trap guns usually have a somewhat longer LOP compared to sporting guns, since they are shot from the mounted position. You might need an adjustable buttpad, or at least a spacer if the LOP turns out to be a bit short for trap.

Jim R

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have both an ultra sporter with 30" barrels and a schnabel forend, and an XT trap, so I am familiar with the handling charactaristics of both. The ultra is considerable light and un-disciplined for a trap gun. I suspect the XS might be somewhat heavyer than my sporter but still doubt it has the balance and discipline of the XT.

7. lineman1002

lineman1002 Member

I have a beretta 390 trap. It's my first trap gun and been shooting it for bout month. I had a good weekend of getting use to her on the trap field at bella vista sportsman club. Hope to get some pointers next weekend, everybody was at Linn Creek. Anywho the xs has 30" bbl. and hoping to turn her into a primary trap gun. I think i might be getting anxious. benniesdad, wireguy you are confirming what I was told that I should trade in on a trap gun. Guess sometimes I just want a second opinion. I'll wait and save up for my combo set. Thanks gentlemen Todd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.