1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

converting a 45 auto to 22

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Jeff P, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Yeah...its pretty easy.

$299 (most places) will get you a Kimber .22 conversion kit...new slide, new barral and all new springs.

Pull the pin, slide it on, put the pin back.

I really, really enjoy mine.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Agree w/ JeffP.

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

0   0   0

Colt made a conversion kit at one time. I had one. They are not very practical but fun to shoot.

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

0   0   0

Try here: http://www.22lrconversions.com/

The Ciener conversion is the probably the best all around; price-wise, compatibility-wise, and ease of installation. Takes under 30 seconds to swap out the top slide!

Kiv

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I got one of the Ciener units years ago and was amazed at how well it worked and how accurate it is. You don't exactly duplicate the feel of your .45 cal 1911 because the conversion slide is lightweight alloy. Still the converted gun strongly resembles the original and it a great practice piece.

The actual installation is a simple matter of removing the slide with all the associated parts and replaing that with the conversion slide/bbl/spring. 30 seconds is a realistic time to complete this.

Pretty ecomonimcal way to get a great .22 pistol and best of all the conversion is not a 'gun' so you can get one with no paperwork/background check fees.

Give it a try Barry, your going to like it!

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

0   0   0

They're neat items. Now I'm going to warn you...they don't cycle quite as reliably as your .45, or a dedicated .22 auto. But they do work nice and are fun.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

I have different types of conversion units for a 1911 and the one I prefer is the Colt unit because of its weight (same as a 45 slide) and the realistic recoil action generated by the floating chamber. Ciener and Kimber units are made of aluminum and weigh less, but all of them are fun to shoot. FWIW. jm

8. plabels466

plabels466 Member

0   0   0

Bob Marvel Unit # 1 or 2 - will outshoot any of the above by far.

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

0   0   0

My Ciener conversion slide will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards; although to be fair, that's with my 24X target scope mounted on it.

Kiv

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

0   1   0

I was told by a gunsmith to have a conversion kit to matches the gun. Colt on Colt, kimber on Kimber, Sig on Sig. The Ciener can cause damage to your frame. The are fun to shoot.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

Kemper: I've tried a conversion kit and it was cool, but relibility did suffer a bit. Unless you are trying to get some low cost practice toward using your 1911 in competition, you might want to consider a Ruger 22/45. It feels a lot like a 1911, you can find them new for about $250 and you'll have a whole new gun. It will also have better resale value than the conversion kit would add to your 1911. Just a thought.

Kiv: 1/2 MOA from a short-barreled conversion pistol? Come on now, bruthah :)

-Gary

12. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

0   0   0

Had a Colt conversion unit with piston. Shot OK but cycling problems.
    Since reload .45 and price of .22 to hi decided to sell and just
    shoot 45.

Doyal

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

0   0   0

The Colt Ace conversion with the floating chamber was to increase the recoil to simulate firing the 45. Hurt the accuracy and most of them ended up with the floating part stuck anyway.

Any of the current low end 22 conversion units will shoot ok, but as said reliability is not as good as a dedicated 22 pistol. One half inch groups at 100 yds with a Ceiner 22 conversion unit even with a 24 power scope is a wet dream, even with a 124 power scope. I would love to be proven wrong on that but there's no chance.

If you want an accurate 22 conversion then the Marvel unit stands alone in current production conversion units. It will shoot as good as a dedicated 22 target pistol but will cost as much or more.

[​IMG]

14. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Two things I learned to make these conversion units more reliable was 1) Use Breakfree to lubricate the slide rails, 2) Use Hi Velocity 22 ammo. I also polished the chambers of my units with Flitz using a 2 mop at the end of a dremel. FWIW. jm

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

0   0   0

I have a Wilson Combat .22 conversion unit that I think was actually made by Ciener as is, I assume.....the Kimber unit. Very accurate and reliable, easy to change. Two things to keep in mind;

#1---the conv unit doesn't operate the slide lock after the last round

#2---the firing pin on the conv unit reaches all the way thru' the breechface with the hammer down....

John C. Saubak

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

On my Kimber 22 conversion, it only cycles the first 7 rounds with standard ammo. But it is very accurate. Switch to CCI minis and it cycles better, but accuracy suffers.

17. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

0   0   0

"One half inch groups at 100 yds with a Ceiner 22 conversion unit even with a 24 power scope is a wet dream, even with a 124 power scope. I would love to be proven wrong on that but there's no chance."

"1/2 MOA from a short-barreled conversion pistol? Come on now, bruthah."

C'mon guys, I was just jerkin' your chains! ;-)

Actually, one thing I think is common to most all of the .22 topslides is that they almost always require high velocity ammo to function reliably and/or fire every round from a clip. At least that's been my experience with a Kimber and a Ciener slide, and what I've been told by a friend that owns an Accurate Arms unit. The Colt Ace units have always been know to be a bit touchy about ammo brands, too.

Kiv

18. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

0   0   0

The test target that came with my Marvel unit showed a .590 group @ 50 yards! Believe me, it does that and better with SK or Wolf match ammo. I have mine mounted to a A.O. frame with a crisp 1.5 lb trigger and a 2-7 Leatherwood scope. With the open sight rail, I can easily group within 1" @ 25 yards, and I'm not a great pistol shooter. There is nothing better than a Marvel unit for converting your .45 to .22. Nadda!

AndyH ;-)

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

0   0   0

There is a Marvel conversion on gunbroker now for $350 which is a real good price.

20. ouch

ouch Member

0   0   0

I bought an original Colt conversion with the floating chamber a very long time ago (It was $225. with 3 extra mags) And had it fitted to it's own frame which was set up identical to my match .45.

It has worked perfect with Winchester Super X .22 copper jacketed ammo.

I also have had a Glock 23 that I purchased an Advantage Arms conversion for and it works great.

It is still fun at my old age to fill my pockets with .22 cartridges and go plinking in my woods,Low noise,No guilt about wasteing brass ect.

I'd really like to find another Advantage conversion for my Glock model 22 and a kit for my Mini-14 if any one has either contact me please. Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.