1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Convert Stock - Sporting to Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ray Courney, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Courney

Ray Courney TS Member

I have a Browning Cynergy Classic Sporting model and would like to change to stock to a Trap style. Is this possible - will it be the sane as a trap gun after the change -- what do I need to be aware of. (Trying to save the expense of a new gun) Thanks --- Ray Courney

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Just buy a trap stock or put a comb on yours---Also depends on chokes---SJB---

3. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

or just have an adjustable comb and adjustable pad installed. But that will be about as pricey as sourcing a new stock...

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Ray,

It's not that simple and there's more to it than just the stock. Take a look
    at your RIB and compare it to the rib on a legitimate TRAP gun. Since you own a Browning, let's use a BT-99 for comparison...

The rib on a Sporting, Skeet or Hunting gun is generally flat or parallel with the barrel. On a TRAP gun, the rib is higher near the receiver and it slopes down at the muzzle. The TRAP rib is designed to provide a higher Point of Impact. I'm sure you have seen or heard about 60/40, 70/30, 80/20 or even 100% Trap guns. What that refers to is the percent of the pattern that is OVER or HIGHER than where the gun was "pointed". There is a distinct advantage to using a true TRAP gun vs. a Sporting, Skeet or Field gun. The height of the comb and/or the design of the stock is just one part of the equation...

For what it is going to cost you to convert your gun to a trap gun, I suggest you purchase a good used BT-99 for now. Good, solid, reliable BT-99 models can be had for $750 to $1,000 and you will be able to sell the BT-99 for about the same as what you paid for it in a couple years.

5. darincraft

darincraft Member

Joe, although I do agree with your statement I do have a question that has been nagging on me.

Most of the time when a gun has a raised rib the front bead is at the same height as a field barrel. Take an 1100 field barrel as opposed to a step rib. That fron bead is at the same height in relation to the bore. So where your eye lines up on the front bead is determined by your stock, not the height of the rib at teh receiver. So it stands to reason if you move your head up or the stock down, you will change the POI and that rib doesn't make a difference. Now POI is determined by your eye in relative position to the front bead. Granted if you use a mid bead then the rib height will affect where/how you view the front bead, but all things considered you don't even need the rib.

Thanks
    Darin

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Darin: I agree that the rib has little to do with the POI. I don't know how serious Ray will be in regard to trapshooting; but for the average guy, I would feel that the adjustable comb would allow him to shoot all the clay target disciplines. If you want to be a serious trap shooter and shoot a bunch of ATA targets; then you might want to consider a dedicated trap gun. I know several fellow shooters that use their sporting clays gun for trap. Believe me, they have respectable averages in both sporting clays and trap. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
convert field to trap
convert trap gun to sporting clays
converting a field gun to trap

converting a field shotgun to a trap shotgun

how to alter a cenergy soprting for trap