1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Convert MEC 8567 Grabber to 9000G

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jun 23, 2013.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anybody ever done it before? Looks like everything from the shell carrier up is identical, and most of the stuff below (collet and whatnot) is the same as well.

Based on comparing the parts lists between the two models, I will need:

8650 UPPER CAM BRACKET

8651 LOWER CAM BRACKET

8653 SIDE PLATE

8654 SLIDE BRACKET

8666 CHUTE ASSEMBLY

8669 ACTUATING BRACKET

8670 ADJUSTING BLOCK

8671 ECCENTRIC NUT

8678 BALL JOINT

8681 CARRIER STOP

8791 ACTUATOR CARRIER

867612 BASE ASSEMBLY - 12 GAUGE

Plus a few assorted nuts and bolts and maybe a spring or two, but I'll get those from the hardware store for a lot less $

Those are the parts that show up on the 9000G list, but don't show up on the 8567 list. Only thing not listed that I can see that I'll need is the outside ring for the base, but I can't imagine that's horribly expensive. I'll have to physically compare the two presses when I get some time and see if there's anything else not listed that I'll need.

Total cost for parts should be under $200 (maybe a little less depending on what I can get from Gamaliel, as they are cheaper than buying right from MEC). I'll have to dig through mine and my dads parts boxes, I may even have some of the necessary parts kicking around.

Including what I have into the Grabber, and the cost to convert to 9000, I will have the same or less than the cost of a used 9000, and will have a lot of brand new parts on the press. Plus it beats having to deal with shipping this press, and having a new one shipped to me. And I'm guessing I can recoup some of my parts costs by selling anything left over on ebay.

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I was able to purchase a complete conversion kit to turn my grabber in to a Hustler which is the hydraulic version of the grabber. For what its worth. JM

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You will need a long angular slot cut/milled in the base for the shell movement
    for the hook operation, best is to buy the 9000G

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. skeet_man

The base will be replaced with a 9000G base, thats included in the price calculations above.

Got an email back from MEC (that was quick). The part number for the "gauge ring" is 869312 for 12ga, and is around 18 bucks. They normally install it with rivets, but I'll install it with screws and nuts (that way it can be easily be removed for cleaning in the future if necessary).

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

6. Bkp2024

Bkp2024 Member

Was looking at mec website yesterday as I was looking into the same thing. I was going to call to see what all it would take. Was also wanting to add electric base maybe now or later. I'll let you know if I figure anything out or post your results please.

7. skeet_man

I'm probably in the long term planning stage right now. Just getting back into shooting 12ga again, setting up an 1100 right now. The grabber will probably be fine for the time being, so this conversion, if it ever happens, will probably be a winter project.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was hoping you would go ahead and then share what you learned. I already have a 9000 12 ga but have Grabbers in 20,28 and 410. The grabbers are great reloaders but the 9000's have the shell drop out and that saves time and energy. I have enough reloading components for two more years and if something doesn't change with the access to primers that may be the end for me but would like to try the conversion on the 28 especially but would like someone else to be the guinea pig. LOL Jackie B.

9. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

Can not be done. Asked Mec rep years ago.

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

These kinds of projects usually turn out to be way more trouble and expense than they are worth, absorbing dozens of hours on un-forseen issues, and when you are done you still have a non-spec loader that will not have the resale value of an original. Trust me, I have learned the hard way.

Search tags for this page
8567n conversion

converting a grabber to a 9000

coverting mec 8567n grabber
grabber or 9000 mec

mec conversion 20 ga to 12 ga

mec grabber
mec grabber parts
upgrade mec grabber with chute