1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Convert 38 Super to 9mm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by billkgun, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billkgun

billkgun Member

Anyone converting 38Super to 9mm? Have a colt I would like converted. Bill

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is a very easy conversion, new barrel & bushing, and maybe refit the extractor. Magazines should interchange. You can do this yourself if you have some mechanical skills and are willing to read a book on barrel fitting or any decent gunsmith can do it. It you want to go all out and make it into a high end custom project try Wilson.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Besides the barrel, you'll need to change the extractor for sure, the 38 Super extractor will not catch the 9 mm case rim.

Tried it on my Colt Super 38, that's what I found.

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The 38 Super being a semi rimmed case, the rim is the rim .406, is just a little larger the the head of the case at .380 with straight walled case in front of it.

The 9mm parabellum is a straight tapered case .380 at the mouth of the case .391 at the head and finally .394 at the extraction rim.

I don't believe that those .012 inches will be a problem but they are why the extractor will need to be fitted. I say .012 but that is case blueprint, the actual manufacturrers specs will probably see that a 38 Super slide face cut is .410" +/- .002" or .003", the 9 mm slide's having similiar spec's it may be .012" or .020" that have to be fit.

It to me is not so much that the extractor will not catch the rim it is the extractor needs to push the case firmly enough against the other side of the slide that the case is in touch with the extractor when the slide has moved far enough for the case to hit the ejector and be thrown clear of the ejection port. If there is not enough tension holding the case in place, the least little bump against the round in the mag will dislodge it from the extractor, in other words, you will have ejection issues!

A simple test is take the slide off the gun, and the barrel out of that, put the cartridge into place on the extractor in the slide, if there is enough tension the cartrige will stay inplace when the slide is held sights up, if gravity wins and cartridge falls out the extractor needs to be fitted.

LOnger worded then I set out to type.

Al

5. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

Magazine probably will not work. Wilson is making excellent new magaizine for 9mm they are available from Brownells. As stated abvove change barrels and adjust or replace extractor, thats all you need for the conversion

Mark Richards

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

What in the world would you want to change from a viable cartridge to one that runs second place, badly. Not only is the Super more potent it is actually easier to reload and will take heavier bullets and, I believe due to my experiences with it, it is inherently more accurate.

Buy a nine if you must, keep the Super a super.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Cheap brass is one reason. I shoot minor now but used to shoot a Super. "A"s are 5 points regardless....9mm is plenty accurate in a properly fitted gun. I also have a 9MM AR set up for plate matches (we don't allow 223s due to damage to the steel)and having the same caliber is convenient.

8. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Big Al has it correct. The breach face dimensions are the main issue but most Colts are close enough. You will need a new extractor and may have to do some major changes to the extractor and or go to one made by Aftec which uses coil springs behind it. The ejector on the early original 9mm's was much longer than the super but it will probably work ok. You may also need to change the recoil spring depending on which loads you use. Super magazines will work for plinking if you don't care about dependability, if you want it to work invest in some of the new Wilsons or the Springfield front ramp 9mm mags which I can make you a good deal on. Good luck and hollar if you need any help. Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

convert 38 super to 9mm

super titan 380 convert 9mm