1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Contemplating an adjustable butt plate....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shooter66, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

I have been thinking of trying an adjustable butt plate....having never used one does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand and ease of installation? ie...I have a standard remington recoil pad now will it take a bunch of fitting?

Thanks in advance..

Scott

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Scott, not sure if you need one. Well when you mount your gun and find a comforable spot on your shoulder w/ your eyes and shoulders level as they should be is your gun level as well. If you are shooting a O/U, are your barrels vertical?? If not you will need a adj. butt plate that cants, so you can get your gun level. When you mount your gun and find that comfortable spot do you have to lower your head down to the gun?? If so you may want to get the adj. butt plate for that reason (to raise it to your head). Now last question, do you live in a cold area that you need thick cloths to shoot in the winter, but a thin tee shirt in the summer??? If so you may want a adj.lenth of pull butt plate that also move in and out to change the Lenth of Pull. Unless your (LOP) Lenth of Pull seems short to you now (the lenth from butt plate to the trigger) your wood may need to be cut. If you need to cant the plate and raise the plate as well, Will it fit into your current gun case that way??? Or would you need to move it back to normal to put it into your case. If you need to move back, you need a plate that adjusts and moves back and forth quickly. If I were you I would have a good stock fitter do this for you. Todd with the Country Gentleman is viewed as the best. You can go to a shoot that he will be at or you can find someone in your area. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

3. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

The best pad adjuster would be the hundred straight one, as for the fitting it will take some grinding to get the pad adjuster down to your remington's specs but a local gunsmith can do that.

J.D.

Here is the website, its about the 7th one down, don't get confused with the Jones adjuster keep going on past that. Good product and Great people to work with.

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I agree with pull and mark. Country gentleman does great work and are very friendly. Customer for life.

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

5. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Have Gracoil ones on my trap Guns and like them very much, price isn't bad and simple to adjust.

Trap-4

6. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Jeff...great post and advice! Here is what I am trying to correct....when I shoulder the gun to a comfortable spot I have to pull down on the gun with my head to get the look I like. Now I dont have to pull down a whole bunch just slightly. But its a mental thing that I need to keep telling myself to remember. I put the gun on my shoulder where I like the picture and look at the pad its up off the top of my shoulder maybe 1/8th to a 1/4 inch. I would think with an ajustable plate I could move it to fit...correct? It shoots good Im just trying to get it really comfortable.

Trap-4 been lookig at the graco's

JD thanks for the link on the 100 straights as well..

Scott

7. Pull & Mark

Scott, As we shoot more often and hopefully become better shooters, we notice the little things we never did before. From what you describe it sounds like you could benifit from a adj. butt plate. Now does recoil give you any problems??? Before you answer think about this, do you lift your head at any time during a l00 target shoot, and not know why you did this. This could be a recoil issue you don't even know you have. It could be something else as well. Think about it!!! Shoot a few times on different days before you answer this question. Because you might want a recoil device of some kind that is also a adj. butt plate. That may have the adj. lenth of pull you may or may not need. Now I think you can make the correct choice for yourself. Remember this is also a gun fitting issue. So you need a gun fitter that can install whatever type of device you think you need, and he can also help you. The Country Gentleman has the best butt plates on the market and is also the best stock fitter as well. Do try to go to shoot where he is at, so he can see how your gun fits and can offer his advice. His number is Todd @ (256) 360-2406 or e-mail @ WWW.gunfitter.com Remember its cheaper to do it correctly the first time and only once. If you want to do it yourself I like the New Jones adj. butt plate w/ 2 adj. screws, and you would do well to install a new Kick-ezz pad as well. IF you want info on these products PM me. Break-em all. JEff

8. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Jeff...PM sent...I dont believe I would benefit from a LOP adjustment the stock fits me pretty nice in that regards.

9. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Scott - don't get one if you don't need it.
    Here's the mainest thing (mainest)<<I made that up. If your gun don't fit you and you NEED an adjustable butt plate - Have it adjusted to fit you, don't get one because they look neat on your gun. I'd love to have an unsingle trap gun (combo set) because I think they're the coolest looking type gun I've ever seen in my entire life. I still want one and some day I'll have one. I shot trap with an over under and by luck traded a transmission for an 1100 trap that fit me like a glove. I'll clean it, and baby it, but it just fits and smokes targets. I'll never own a better shooting gun for me. But goodness, an unsingle just looks so darn cool.

10. Pull & Mark

Scott, check your PM's!!! Mine is not working, and I did not get your PM. IF you check yours you can give me a E-mail. OK Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable butt plate

adjustable butt plate shotgun
adjustable recoil pad
adjustable recoil pad shotgun
adjustable shotgun butt plate
adjustable shotgun buttplate
adjustable shotgun recoil pad
best adjustable butt pad