1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Contacts or Glasses for Clearer Vision

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ScottEslick, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I currently use contacts with plano lenses and was wondering if I would get better results is prescription lenses?

Scott

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

No. You could have a prescription quality set of plano lenses made by an optician they should be clearer than the factory plano lenses.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is nothing better than contacts, I tried the glasses and wear contacts because the results is better and I can see better with them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Some years ago Kay Ohye told me I'd see the target better with contacts. I don't know if he still does, but he shot with contacts then.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Contacts. Regards, Ed

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Although I shoot with progressive lensed glasses because I need correction both far and near, I would think contacts would be better because of the lens being ground to the pupil center distance. So as your eyes move across the lens to pick up the target, before the swing is started, I actually noticed a little false movement of the bird as you move your head to the target, back across the lens. It took a while to get used to but I am thinking of going to contacts, and just using glasses to see near. Jon

8. open choke

open choke TS Member

I wear contacts myself.

It's way cheaper to have your contacts which you already paid for; instead of getting shooting glasses inserts made

9. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I KNOW about this issue. Here's why. I had cataract surgery in 1977 - when I was very young. Too young to receive implants. I was stuck with big thick glasses or contacts. The glasses were fine and they've gotten better every year. The contacts were my choice. My first trials were with soft lenses. They were just okay. My dad suggested HARD CONTACT LENSES. I thought he was nuts, but gave it a try anyhow.

During cataract surgery the lens is completely removed. Without correction I can't see a darn thing - except big blobs of light. I use a 14.25 power lens and teh hard contacts have to be ground withe a blended, or feathered edge. I can wear them more than 16 hours without any discomfort and my vision is crystal clear. I only need cheaters for reading. I have plano shooting glasses.

These lenses are more costly than a pair of soft lenses, but they don't need to be changed until they're phyically damaged (broken). If I take care of them and keep them clean, a pair is good for at least 2 years. My daily cost os therefore far less than the soft lenses. When I get new ones, I keep the old ones in a bottle of solution - just in case.

I had the most recent pair made in a purple tint. It shouldn't make any difference, but it does - for me.

There you have it. Hard (gas permeable lenses) are superior to everything else.

Larry Frieders
    Grandpa's Arms, Inc.
    http://www.grandpasarms.com
    340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

No question. Contacts. I been wearing then for 40 years.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

John you should get a set of prescription shooting only glasses not a progressive lenses. Shooting glasses as the name states are for shooting not for driving or surgery. Get a set of large lens glasses like Ranger or Decot and use them for shooting. It will help.

Joe

12. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Contact lenses with old fiber , felt and card wads were pure hell if wind from wrong direction. Lenses are softer and better now I suppose. D Winter

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've worn glasses since 1989 but my distance vision isn't horrible - my Rx for both eyes is +1.50 - and I have my Decots ground to that same Rx. Perhaps seven years ago, I decided to give contacts a try as my son shoots with them using plano Decots. Oddly, everything looks smaller to me with contacts. Targets were REAL tiny and had almost no vertical thickness. I even felt lower and more "one with the bike" when riding my motorcycle with contacts. I'm probably the only one on here who has experienced that but it was very real.

As far as which gives clearer vision, I asked both my regular eye doctor and the one who makes my Decot lenses, both of whom know I am a shooter. Both told me that glasses will yield the most consistently clear vision for people like shooters who are very conscious of their optical clarity. They said that's because the optical center of an eyeglass lens in always in the same place relative to your eyes while contacts by design move around on your eye. It is possible for contacts to yield the best vision because of their closeness to the eye but only when the optical center is perfectly aligned with the eye. Most of the time, they told me, it isn't.

Ed

14. pdq

pdq Member

Like Grandparms, my vision is very bad -- legally blind without glass, refracton of -13.5. I wear hard contact lenses and compared to glasses I have better contrast, sharper vision overall, and better peripherial vision. Only problem is that they are contacts. Shoot in a dusty environment and the smallest spect of dust under the lens will put you out of business. If it's cold and windy to the point of making your eyes water, the lenses will go off center when you mount the gun and you have to stay there holding the gun for a second or 3 while the lens re-centers and vision is sharp again.

I was told a year ago that I'm developing cataracts. I've got an appointment in a few weeks to see about having them removed, and replaced with Intra Occular Lenses, which are soft contact prescription lenses inserted inside the eye where the cataract used to be. I have a ton of questions for the doctor, but for those of you out there where cataracts are an issue, it's something to consider.

Pete

15. pdq

pdq Member

Lasik and laser only work on some people, only allowed by FDA on people with vision under a refraction of -12. As mentioned, I'm at -13.5, so not a candidate. IntraOccur Lenses on the other hand are the treatment of choice for people over -12.

Hard to break what you can't see clearly.....

Pete

16. wm rike

wm rike Member

Two other things to consider.

As the degree of correction is increased for glasses, distortion increases in the peripheral areas of the lenses. There's the matter of convex lenses producing a large image and concave lesnes giving a smaller image. Despite what Ed said above, anytime you use anything other than the center the lenses in glasses, you are dealing with distortion - move your head, not your eyes. All that said, glasses can be refined to a high degree for excellent acuity when looking through the center of the lens.

As the amount of correction increases, contacts gain an ever increasing edge over glasses in that they eliminate these distortion problems. If you are not looking through the center of a hard lens, they are not properly fitted. In that regard, having worn hard lenses for fifty years, opticians have far and away delivered the best service and fit. Opthamologists have been the worst. Go figure.

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If your lucky and can get a set of contacts that fit your particular set of eyes well and you are lucky enough to have a good consistent tear film then contacts are indeed better for ultimate visual acuity.

Many find that this is not the case and for them RX lenses work better. If your the sort who can wear contacts every day and for extended periods of time contacts will be an option.

Even if you go with contacts you will still need an Rx set of glasses for emergency use. You never know about eye irritants allergies or infections like pink eye.
    Jo4e

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.