1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CONTACTS & CROSSOVER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I just got a set of contacts yesterday for the first time in 20+ years. I've been using prescription Decots with a magic dot due to my left eye dominant, right hand shooting issue.

I'm wondering if anyone who wears contacts, that has a crossover issue, has tried shooting with only one lens installed on the gun side leaving the off eye out of focus to prevent the dreaded crossover. In theory at least, it seems to make sense.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, which is the only way to know if it works for me, nonetheless I'm curious if anyone has had success with this approach.

Thanks

Guy Babin

2. BoilerUP

BoilerUP TS Member

I shoot with contacts and I keep both of them in, but I do also use the easy hit bead and I don't have problems with crossover anymore.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When I had contacts over 20 years ago I tried a little experiment. I am a right handed supposedly right eye dominate shooter and I removed the right lens so that at 30 yards I couldn't even see the target with my un-corrected right eye. Guess what ? I was still right eye dominate because my right eye could still see the front bead. Eye dominance is a control center in the brain and is not related to visual acuity of one eye being sharper than the other. I still have trouble with occasional crossfiring but I can cure this with a hooded fiber optic front bead; other shooters need the Magic Dot patch of tape on their off eye lens.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

up once

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"I'm wondering if anyone who wears contacts, that has a crossover issue, has tried shooting with only one lens installed on the gun side leaving the off eye out of focus to prevent the dreaded crossover. In theory at least, it seems to make sense."

What's wrong with using your dot on non-prescription Decot lenses and just leaving the contacts alone?? You need the eye protection anyway and contacts are very poor protection.

Morgan

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Nothing Capt. however, it will be interesting to try it without the dot to more closely approach true two-eyed shooting. The dot, while it does work, is a bit annoying.

I know I can always use the dot on non-prescription lenses--I assumed that was obvious... Ya know what that they say about assumptions... my bad.

Guy

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I believe that you would lose the advantage of two eye shooting in that you acquire the bird quicker with two eyes. I think a patch would work much better, at least you would see the target leaving the house. IMHO Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.