1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

contacting theIRS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slide action, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Are there ANY phnone numbers to contact the IRS other than the worthless 1-800 number. The IRS the 1-800 number contacts NOONE and I get put on hold for a hunfred Years!!!!

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Practitioners have a special number they can call, but you're pretty much stuck with calling the 800 number. Try calling early in the week and early in the morning. You will find however that the IRS people answering the phone are
    usually pretty nice and try to be helpful. Be prepared, keep it short and concise, and don't have a chip on your shoulder; and you'll get the help you need.

If you have a question, you can PM me.

3. slide action

Dickgtax Thanks. I finally just settled in,got on the computer, and after what seemed an eternity!, They FINALLY answered!--I guess you just need to have PLENTY of time on your hands when you call them!! :)

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Just be glad you didn't need to reach them on April 14th!

5. slide action

John --That is probably a very true statement!!

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In my area you can go to the local Fed Building and they have an office. If they don't they just might know how to reach them.

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

shut up. send the money. don't expect a response. obama 2012

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I was told I had to write a letter asking why I owed them an additional $369 after I missed adding in $230 on my 2010 with holdings. That was three weeks ago I sent the letter. Still waiting for an answer and I suppose the penalty and interest are still adding up. Funny thing is they missed the fact that the with holdings were not included in my return too. Do they review each return? I figured they at least looked them all over.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Tripod,
    That's a fault in the computer program. The computer looks for omissions of income where there is 1099 or W-2 filed by the payer, but it's not programmed to adjust the withholding. However, if you submit an explanation and documentation that the entire W-2, and not just the income was omitted, they will adjust that as well.

No they do not look them over - it's strictly a computer function. And
    it will take a lot longer than three weeks to get a response.
    Interest will be suspended for (I think) 30 days, and then it will start again.
    Read my response to slide action about having a chip on your shoulder when you
    deal with the IRS. Dumb jokes like quartering's give people the wrong idea. As government agencies go, they're one of the best to deal with. Probably better
    than some of the big gun companies, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.