1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

contact lenses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cuspid2, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuspid2

cuspid2 TS Member

1 IS it advantageus or not to use contact lenses and non prescription shooting glasses versus prescription shooting glasses I am astigmatic and a right hand shooter left eye dominant
    2 I shoot one eyed should I try to shoot with both eyes open presently I see a double target if I open my left eye after calling for the bird. Any tips to correct this so I can use both eyes.

thanks

Miles Kletter

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Almost every optometrist has free samples. Try them out.

3. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

you will see two birds or one bird with a tail i did

4. KenC

KenC Member

I'm RH & L eye dominant; with poor vision & astigmatism in both eyes. I shoot LH.

My dad told me that the first toy gun I ever had, when I was a toddler, I picked up & put on my LEFT shoulder.

I would say to try to shoot LH. If you are shooting a hinge gun with a neutral cast stock, it shouldn't matter. It may take you a couple hundred targets but it's really the best way. Put the gun on the shoulder of your dominant eye.

I used to use contacts & planar lenses but I work the computer during shoots & need my regular glasses soooo, I went back to prescription Decots. I'm shooting just as well (or just as poor :^) ) as I did with the contacts.

5. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Ken, Use the search option here. Lots of posts on this issue. I posted several to review as I am also a contact wearing RH, L eye dominant, (x) cross firing shooter.

As to the free samples, I can't reccommend that. Let your eye professional suggest the best route - tell the Doc your needs for shooting & vision, & distance! There are many choices - disposable, oney day, one month, gas permeable (lasts 3+ years), different materials, etc. Even the difference in material or small diameter change makes a large effect. Make sure your doctor is supportive and you both are prepared for multiple fittings.... I have a lot of experience over 30 years wearing contacts and my best advice is:

get a pair of contacts that is comfortable !

If you need an eye doc in SE PA, PM ME.

JS

6. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

While I'm not a left eye dom RH shooter, I struggled with the contacts vs prescription shooting glasses two years ago and I too have astigmatism. I finally settled on Rx glasses for the simple reason that I found that Rx glasses were clearer and sharper than the contacts. I use glasses with an Rx insert and interchangeable lenses. I can switch out the colors as needed.

Ron

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Miles, I am in somewhat the same situation as you. If your doc can correct your vision with contacts, I'd try that approach. And, while ultimately it is better to shoot two-eyed, you can be very competitive one-eyed... you just have to work at it.

From a cost standpoint, to buy one set of plano glasses and lenses is the obvious carrot - changing contacts only as required. To buy a year's supply of contacts can be 1/2 the cost of one pair of Rx lenses each year...

Now if you knew that your Rx wasn't going to change (imagine that?!) that's a different matter, but to change your Rx and buy fresh dyed lenses every year or even two - can be expensive AND FURTHER buying CR39 plastic offers poor impact protection compared to polycarbonate.

If squinting isn't comfortable, try magic dots or scotch tape on the left lens...

regards all,

Jay

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Miles, FWIW I'll put my 2cents in. I'm a right-hander with a largely useless right eye who learned early to shoot southpaw...even though my left eye is astigmatic. As you will probably discover astigmatic correction is very difficult especially when your head may not be 'perfectly' orientated when mounting the gun. I didn't have the money, and New Zealand doesn't have the expertise to make me prescription glasses so I had maybe 15 different tints and would select the best contrast. The last few weeks I have had some freebie contact lense samples from my optometrist (you can't get better value for money than free) and have found that even though the target is now clearer my depth perception has altered as a result. In 4 weeks time our National tournament starts and I will be shooting without the correction as a preference. Your mileage may vary. Kind Regards-Graham.

9. idoc

idoc Member

Miles,

If you are seeing two targets, barring any muscle imbalance problems, it means you are taking the barrel to the bird....i.e. measuring. The condition is called "Physiological Diplopia" (We have cool words in the eye care business) Google it. It's pretty self explanatory.

It means when looking a few feet away (barrel) the muscle balance of the eyes doesn't although you to see a single image in the distance. The answer is total concentration on the target and when the force tells you pull the trigger. No more double target. For most people it works the opposite way. New shooters will tend to see two barrels with both eyes at first. When the brain gets use to whats going on the second barrel disappears.

I wish I had a dollar for every shooter that thinks he needs a patch because he sees two barrels and actually could shoot both eyes open.....Hope this helps.................Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.