1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Contact lenses or prescription lenses?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hubcap, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Aug 17, 2006
    I've worn and shot with contact lenses exclusively for 30 years, but now that I've got this Bell's Palsy I can't wear my contact lens in my shooting eye due to my inability to blink.

I am prepared to buy a pair of presciption lens shooting glasses in order to keep shooting.

I would like to know if any of you guys have a definite opinion as to whether there is an advantage to contacts or presciption lens shooting glasses.

Thanks again

2. emm2

emm2 Member

Jan 27, 2007
    I shot for 3 years in contacts before trying prescription lenses. My scores in skeet went from A class to AA in three shoots. get the glasses and never look back. No more blurry or watery eyes.
  3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The advantage of contacts is that you are always looking through the optical center of the lens even when you mount the gun and chase a hard angle target with your eyes. I cannot get a good correction with contacts because of astigmatism, so I have to use RX lenses but I got the optical centers offset to the left to help when I mount the gun.
  4. SSeitz420

SSeitz420 TS Member

Oct 11, 2006
    My eye Doctor told me 25 years ago that my vision would ALWAYS be sharper wearing my eyeglasses instead of my contacts when shooting. That was his recommendation and I followed his advice. I followed his advice to get lazer correction several years ago and he was right on with that advice too. Best eye Doctor in Baltimore.
  5. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Hi Hubcap,

Here's the right answer. Whether you see better with contact lenses or glasses is an individual thing based on a number of factors including prescription, fit etc. Some people will see better with contacts. Some people (probably many more) will see better with glasses (due to astigmatism and a lot of other things). If you are wearing soft contact lenses you will have no problems at all, except adjusting to the distortions of glasses the first couple of days. If you are wearing hard contact lenses you may go through a period over a month or so where the clarity of your vision will change as your cornea slowly returns to it's normal shape. You may even require a change in the glasses fairly quickly.

You will have to decide whether you want bifocals in your shooting glasses. I wear the progressive bifocal and have no problem at all. Expect weirdness big time for a few days. Other people do have problems with the bifocal. That's an individual thing also.

all the best,
  6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Prairie State
    I shot for years using (2) pair of Rx lenses. Going to the contacts, I've had no discernable difference in scores.

Lenses expenses will be substantially higher as each pair of colored lenses will obviously run more than plano lenses, but in your situation, doesn't appear you have a choice - get fit well and shoot well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.