1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Contact lens users - I have a question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT99Max100, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

I'm going to order contacts for shooting. Are contacts for shooting set-up any differently than normal contacts? I'm near-sighted. Thanks
    John

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I wear the soft throw-away kind, no problems, from high-power rifle days, I told the doc what i wanted and he modified the Rx just a little for seeing the front sight, but that was for HP...Grubby.....I love to shoot in contacts...plus you get to use cheap lens in the Decot's....

3. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

If possible, get a doctor that is familiar with shooting. I use gas permeable "distance only" for shooting. I have worn contacts for over 30 years.

If you use the search feature here on TS, you should find several threads about this.

Comfort is very important. Like the gun, your contacts must fit well or it is not worth the effort. Most eye doctors will prescribe you, then go through several fittings to get the exact comfort and acuity blend so you can wear them all day.

Also, contacts typically require the use of sunglasses even in couldy conditions (for me anyway) because of the effect on light entering the eye. YOU may feel more light sensitive. Keep that in mind as you select your shooting glasses.

There are some eye doc shooters here, you may get good advice here from them.

js in PA

4. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

BT. I am an eyedoc.

Correct answer is the lenses should be set for distance because clarity of the bird is the most important thing. Now if you are over 40 something the beads will be a little out of focus like that (if not over 40 you're good anyway) but the most important thing is that you see the bird clearly not necessarily the beads. Just tell your doc you need good distance vision. With disposable soft lenses (if you can) you can probably wear them for a week and try it out before you even order.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Do you have astigmatism? How bad? Where do you live? I've been shooting in contacts since I was 15 and I'm 61 now.

6. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I ask this before and got no answer but i will try again.how do i find a doc that is a shooter? tailbuster where is your office?I need one in illinois or at least in the midwest

7. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Tracy,

I am in the suburbs of Detroit. However, as an office we don't deal in shooting glasses. I have, on occasion, had guys bring guns into the office to set things as specifically desired by the shooter. But, the optical prescription for a shotgunner is not complicated. Any eyedoc can handle it. Seeing the beads are less important than seeing the birds clearly. So, really, it's just a matter of getting a good distance Rx. Anybody can do that. john

8. Barry C. Roach

I use a shooting optometrist in Mesa, AZ.

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use soft contacts. I have my right eye set a little higher power for distance. I want to see the bird the best I can. The left eye is set a little softer so I can check the beads when I mount the gun. This work very good for me. I don't even know I have one up and one down on power in the lens to my normal prescription.

10. idoc

idoc Member

John,
    Tailbuster is right on as usual. There is something very new that has just become available. It's the first Daily disposable lens with silicon in it. This could be big as far as comfort is concerned. Depending on your Rx there is also a relatively new design that combines a gas permeable lens with a soft lens (I wear this design). For most Rx's this will give you the best vision. Post your Rx and we may be able to direct you a little better........Rich

11. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

I have used toric lens in the past, but not for shooting. My Rx as of 4-7-10 is as follows:

sphere/cylinder/axis

DO: -3.25 / -1.25 / 108
    Prism: +2.50 /+2.50
    PD = 67

Thanks for the info:
    John

12. Barry C. Roach

I just switched to toric because of astigmatism. Much clearer now but not as comfortable as J&J"s Oasys

13. idoc

idoc Member

John,

Because of the nature of your astigmatism you are not a candidate for gas permeable lenses, so that option is out. We do a great deal of shooters. In fact we dedicate one day a week to just shooters. With this experience, we have found that because of instability with vision (especially if you shoot with one eye) soft lenses for astigmatism have not worked well.

Having said that, we have been experimenting with a lens over the last year with surprising results. Until using this lens, if you are a serious shooter, I would have discouraged you from going to contacts. The name of the lens is Biofinity Toric. It uses a horizontal band to help stabilize the lens.
    Check with your eye doctor about availability. The office fitting set has your Rx so you would be able to try it easily. Hope this helps.

I'm off to Martha's Vineyard for the weekend. Will try to stay in touch..........Rich

14. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I wear a distance contact all the time in my right eye and ordinarily no contact in my left eye. This is called "mono vision" and allows me to both read and see at a distance without bi-focals. When shooting, I put a distance contact lens in my left eye. This seems to work well for me. Its hard to always look through the optical center of prescription glasses and contact lens always are centered no matter the angle of your head. My vision is 20-15 with contacts.

15. idoc

idoc Member

Claybrdr,

You doing it exactly the way you should. The "not looking in the center of the lens" is why there is sometimes a difference in POI between using CL and then using your glasses.........Rich

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have worn contact lenses for over 35 years, got started because of shoot offs in the rain in the midwest and never looked back ... I buy a box of the next higher power than the ones I normally wear and use them for shooting only ... That was a suggestion by my Eye Doctor who's specializes in dealing with vision for sports ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.