1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

contact lens question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hardcsh, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardcsh

Hardcsh Member

I wear two contacts everyday and I am a right hand, right eye dominant shooter For everyday, I wear a close-up contact in my left eye and a distant contact in my right eye. I currently wear Decot prescription glasses for shooting and like them. I am interest in buying some Pilla glasses, but they are expensive. With prescription, the Pilla glasses are very expensive. Since both eye take the exact same script, I am going to try shooting with distant conatacts in both eyes this week. If this works, I am considering purchasing non-prescription glasses from Pilla. Does anyone shoots with two distant contacts and how does that work?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I am curious also as I need a new prescription. I would like to wear contacts for shooting, therefore corrected to distance only. Does this affect your sight when you use a standard colored lens, with the corrective contacts? I am tired of having to order new glass lenses, when my prescription changes.

3. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Hardcsh; It will work just fine as long as it does not change your your domines.Will get you up an extra bird or two.

4. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

Two contacts with the proper prescription for distance, and non-prescription eyeglass lenses is the best way to go (in my opinion). I told my Ophthalmologist to give me a contact lens prescription that will give me the absolute best, most clear vision at 40 yards. When I told him why he just smiled. Everyone I’ve ever talked to who tried shooting with their everyday contacts set up for the “monovision” thing didn’t do very well. cls

5. TF

TF Active Member

I also use a distance lens in my right (dominant) eye and a reading lens in the left. I went to this arrangement when I needed bi-focals. I did this prior to,the invention of bi-focal contacts, so you know how long ago that was. It took a great deal of convincing to get me to try this initially, but after a few days I was sold on the idea. I have never tried bi-focal contacts; just haven't seen a need to. I have a pretty good selection of plano decot lens colors that I could never afford if each were prescription. Besides my vision is far superior with contacts anyway. I wear hard, gas permeable lenses, started with the old hard ones in 1971. (Got them because of really thick glasses and three time broken nose) Can't get along with the soft lenses. When I wore both distance lens many years ago I experienced cross firing problems from time to time, when I went to the reading lens in the left that problem ended just about completely. When I miss, it's not because I didn't see the bird, it's my fault 100%. The last years I registered my singles were 98% or better and when I occasionally shoot now they haven't really dropped off much. One other plus with hard lenses is that my prescription has held the same for the past 8 years. Everyone is different, but that has been my experience, good luck to you.

Tom Frazer

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Like was mentioned above, "monovision" can present some shooting challenges for some... most fellow shooters, from my optometrist, focus both eyes to balance the depth perception...

I had both my contacts set solely to distance... creates some minor inconveniences at restaurants (menus), seeing the dashboard, reading books/mags... so I have a few pair of very mild readers (+125) and Wayne Morgan/Morgan Optical set me up with a set of press-on magnifiers to apply to any Rx glasses or my plano shooting glasses while my contacts are in...

Never any regrets... don't compromise on the script...

Jay

7. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I shoot with my everyday contacts. Up front, they work great.

Back at 24yds, I notice a bit but if I use a new pair that day, I'm GTG.

I think I will ask my Dr. for a right eye optimized for 40yds and see what he says.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I often use one contact lens for casual use but when I shoot I use my binocular prescription for shooting. Why handicap yourself?

9. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I use monovision rigid contacts for everyday use. I'm right eye dominant. I do have a left 20/20 left lense, and have tried it for trapshooting, but it is a hassle.

If I use both eyes 20/20, I need the "readers" to see anything close. Since the monovision is my "normal" vision, I can see 20/20 at distance with my dominant eye, and read up close.

With "monovision", I can still see the target with both eyes. Yes, if I hold a high gun... I may not pick up a hard left as quick. But I've learned to hold a lower gun at handicap. I shoot quick and get a good "read" on the target.

I NEVER have an issue with what is called "cross firing". It just won't happen with monovision. As I said, I hold the gun just inches above the house, look a little higher, and attack the target on it's true path quickly.

Hope this helps with your quest.

10. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I have some experience as a contacts user (30+ years) and long time trapshooter. Over the last 4 years (after returning to trap) I learned more of what I didn't know.

I wear gas permeable lenses. These are semi rigid and not disposable, lasting for 2 to 3 years.

In my opinion, eye dominance, or tendency to cross fire (different things) is a brain issue and has little or no relationship to your contacts. Contacts are a way to change the shape of your own lenses (a physical modification). This has nothing to do with your brain being R eyed or L eyed dominant. The brain controls this, the eyes are merely the receptors gathering information. Sure, if you cover one eye, the brain will switch. Crossfiring is a brain reaction not an eye reaction. Dominance is in your brain, not your eyes unless an injury or other issue causes the brain to adapt.

Contacts allow you the flexibility to use different tints on lenses of shooting glasses.

Contacts are fickle - sometimes the eyes water or dry out in wind (more) with contacts.

You must pay attention to cleaniness with contacts.

For many years, I switched back & forth between distance only contacts and bifocals, wearing the distance only ones on shooting days. However, this can stress your physical lenses because of the conflicting shaping and unshaping. (recovery) Our real lenses hold the shape of contacts for a while; everybody is different but the more you use one set or another the longer the recovery time. It can be hours or days.

Ealier this year, after a long converstion with Dr. Frank Rively, I stopped using the bifocal contacts and use only 'disance only'. I believe this helped me to reduce the strain on my real lenses, and I am "seeing" the targets better, with less concern about time in between lens wear and recovery.

Be willing to experiment a little and see what is your best solution. My eyesight is pretty bad, so my glasses are heavy and thick, so contacts are more comfortable and provide more options.

For me, my solution is:

Distance only contacts fulltime, daily & shooting
    Multiple tints on ranger XL glasses
    Prescription shooting glasses (made by Rively) as back up - light orange

Frank Rively's # is 570-587-4283. As a shooter, and optomitrist, Frank has a great understanding of our sport. He also worked in a contact lens facility; give him a call.

NOTE: to any contact wearers getting an eye exam for shooting glasses or lenses- leave your contacts out for a couple days so your lenses return to their baseline shape, prior to the exam. Also, I think that (us) shooters over 50 (I am 57) have older eye parts and their flexibility is not as it was years ago.

js in PA

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My Ophthalmologist gave me a few sets of lenses to try out, one being for distance the other for close ... She said to wear the ones for distance when shooting, otherwise wear one of each so I could see distant objects and be able to read ... It didn't work out for me at all, so I opt to use readers when I have to read something with the lenses for distance in both eyes ... I do not like the lenses for close in both eyes at any time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I prefer contacts over glasses. I been shooting over 30 years with contacts and use standard shooting glasses like Ranger and Decot.
    I use glasses over my contacts for reading and close up work.
    So get the contacts and then you can have the Pilla if you want.

13. wm rike

wm rike Member

I had laser surgery on my non-dominant eye and it is now slightly near-sighted. I wear a distance-focused contact in my dominant eye. I was initially worried about depth perception, but it all works fine and I am never aware of the two different focal lengths.

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

if the prescription is wrong or you switch the lenses it could have some effect on prefference. call frank if you need a good eye professional.

15. IMGRV

IMGRV TS Member

I've been wearing contacts since 1980 and get checkups every 2 years. I have been trap shooting for over 8 years and have no visual problems at all with both contacts the same for distance ( I'm nearsighted -5.50) and my Randolph Ranger XL glasses. I could not possibly afford to get new prescription shooting lenses each time my prescription changes. One of the more recent things I did was change to daily wear lenses and I find them extremely comfortable and the visual acuity is really great. As another poster said, there are days when a breeze from a certain angle may either make your eyes water, or it may make them drier (dry is worse!).

As I am retired, I don't wear contacts every day anymore, but only for driving long distances and trapshooting. The cost works out to about a dollar per day for these daily throw-away lenses. It's worth trying - ask for a free pair from your eye doctor and try them out at the trap field. I hope this helps some. Gino

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I been wearing contact for over 40 years and have no problem shooting with them.
    I do go a litter stronger scrip ( 1/4 higher ) for shooting because I want to see the bird the best I can.

17. bigben

bigben Active Member

Guys, God has blessed me even at my age to have 20/10 vision uncorrected, it was at one time even better, but a freak happening took place, as an incompetitant outsider on vision, please make this clear, whatever it takes to have at LEAST 20/20 vision, corrected make it happen! Please make this happen with both eyes it will reap benifits beyond belief! Never short change yourself, your vision is paramount to good shooting! if you are a serious competitor, you owe it to yourself to be the best you can be! incinerate em!

18. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I do the exact same thing Gino spells out above. Daily wear on trap shooting days.

19. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

"NOTE: to any contact wearers getting an eye exam for shooting glasses or lenses- leave your contacts out for a couple days so your lenses return to their baseline shape, prior to the exam. Also, I think that (us) shooters over 50 (I am 57) have older eye parts and their flexibility is not as it was years ago. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I too have shot with contacts for a long time!
    However, as the above may be true that the eye shape is changed AND STAYS CHANGED for some time with contact wear. It would seem to be very faulty logic to fit contacts ( that are worn daily, on assumed "changed shape eyeballs" that do NOT return to NORMAL for several days!!) ON THOSE SELF SAME "RELAXED EYEBALLS". If relaxed vs. "changed from normal contact use" effects correction,and you are wearing them EVERY day, I want the best "corrected" vision for the shape my eyes are going have with daily wear shape! That logic works if you are only going to stick them in for shooting, but not for daily wear users!!

Another misconception is if your vision is best corrected to 20/20 you will not get to 20/10 (or BETTER VISION) by using a 1/4 "stronger" change.

The 20/20 and 20/10 are rating of BEST CORRECTED VISION! Optimized! to change in either lesser or greater correction than optimized, will only degrade the rating.
    You are either corrected "best" to 20/20 or 20/10,(or some other rating) You don't pick and choose your rating, you correct to the best and see what it (the rating) is!!

20. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

unplugged - I don't think my observation is a misconception as you suggest. The point is, everybody is a little different and their return to base line after contact use may vary from hours to days. This is personal physiological reaction, and typically age correlated.

Also, (for example) some types of contacts are are taken out at night (allowing full or partial baseline real lens return every day) other contacts are extended wear, which may provide different baseline returns because of the long time use.

My suggestion was that contact wearers should know about their own baseline and the conditions that effect it, & the effect on timing the eye exam which can effect the Rx, which in turn can effect the accuity on the range.

js in PA -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

contact lenses for trap shooting

monovision contacts for trapshooting