1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

consistent drops

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill D., Aug 19, 2013.

1. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

I have been using 700X for a long time. I reload with a MEC 9000H. For the last year or so I haven't been able to get consistent drops. I have tried every thing I know. The loader is grounded, dryer sheet in the powder bottle and a baffle. Nothing has helped. Drops can be + or - 2/10gr to 11/2gr. Any one have any ideas? Never had the problem before and don't know why I have it now. The only thing I can come up with is that the powder has changed. Any one else having problems with 700X?
    Thanks
    Bill

2. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

do you have a metal powder baffle between the bottle and bar? it solved my problem. joseph

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

700X had some troubles about 8 to 10 yaears ago how old is the powder? Jeff

4. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I quit using 700X for that reason.

jim brown

5. psfive

psfive Member

I like redfin1956 use a metal powder baffle on my MEC 650. Regardless of which powder I use the baffle keeps my drops uniform. Plus or minus 1/10th of a grain. Close enough for who I shoot with. Paul in GINebraska.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When I noticed my 700X doing that in my 9000G, it seemed to respond to shaking the heck out of the keg (12 lb in those days) prior to filling the powder bottle. Also, I would never leave a portion of unused powder in the bottle until "next" time (which could be a month). Empty the powder bottle after every session. It was like the stuff was sticky/cakey?

Also, on the 9000, make sure the charge bar is traveling full stroke. That nut on the end of the charge bar rod (operating rod)is famous for unwinding with use.

I still use 700X for everything but handicap. Heck, at one time it was cheap (and good). Good luck.

Bob Falfa

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

700X is (was) my favorite powder until Hodgen bought IMR and jacked the price up out of sight, had to switch, tried different ones settled on Promo, so far I'm happy with it. Never had any problems with inconsistent drops with 700X, as per stokinpls roll the container around to remix the powder as it can settle in shipment. Ross Puls

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Hi Bill

9. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. Since then, I've added the metal, NOT the red plastic, baffle and consciously worked to keep each stroke of the reloader about the same. My drops with 700X are now more like +/- 0.5 grains, for example, 16.9 to 17.2 grains with the bushing I'm using. -Ed

10. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I load using a 9000H and I have had drop problems with Tightgroup. I finally quit using it. I have had no problems with WST, WSH or Solo 1000.

11. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

Thanks all. I have had both metal (which I have always used) and tried the plastic just out of frustration neither made a difference. I don't know where the problem came from but I wish it would go back. I loaded for a long time without an issue this came from no where. I have tried and checked every thing suggested still the problem exists. Thanks again and I'll keep at it.
    ( Hi Bob )

12. In plain view

In plain view Member

Bill D: As a possible fix to your problem the first thing I would do is pull the powder bottle off the charge bar. Pull the rubber washer and brass ring and take a long hard look. I have no idea how long you have been using this particular charge bar but the brass ring and/or rubber washer may need to be replaceds. If your using a Universal Charge Bar you might have the brass washer up side down. (Sharp edge goes down)

My next step would be to remove the powder drop tube and take a look. I had a similar problem few years ago and discovered a small insect in the tube.

Third step in inspecting the powder drop tube is to make sure there is no oil or other product on the mouth of the tube that would attract dirt etc

If none of the above corrects the problem the "travel" of the charge bar is the probable culprit. You have to make sure the screw on the charge bar that regulates the travel of the bar is tight and that this same screw when the machine is in the final downward position must strike the left frame of the bar and when released travel back to it's final resting position.

I load 700X powder all the time and have never had a metering problem. Regretfully if none of the above solves your problem my next guess would be directed towards the powder itself. JMHO Bob in Los Angeles