1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Consistency???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

About 15 months in, I am shooting okay but not with the consistency I would like. I'll shoot a 25 followed by a 21 or one week get a 49/50 and the next week I'll shoot a 44. I shoot twice most weeks, 50 to 100 birds each time. Gun has been fitted already. Besides more shooting, any tips on improving at this point? I am considering the Jordan wall chart.

Thanks
    Dave

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Really hard to say, but the wall chart definitely can't hurt. I found that only more shooting helped my consistency.

3. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I recall Frank Little writing that such swings in scores are common among beginning trapshooters. I think you should be patient with yourself while you master the fundamentals--and we're always learning to master them. You never reach the horizon.

Practice with a plan, but avoid trying to work on too many things at the same time (I usually work on 1 or 2 things at practice). I carry a small notebook in my ammo bag that lists the things I'm working on that day, along with scores, weather conditions and other shooting-related thoughts. If you want the good scores bad enough, you're going to have to learn how to be methodical about your shooting.

Last but not least, try to enlist the help of a fellow shooter who you trust and esteem, preferably someone who is a seasoned ATA shooter. I don't know where I would be in life and trap without the wisdom, encouragement and friendship of my coach.

And do yourself a favor: Buy a copy of Dr. Wayne F. Martin's "Insight to Sports: Featuring Trapshooting and Golf." It's written by an optometrist, and teaches you how important different eye muscles are in trapshooting. It helped make me a two-eyed shooter, and my scores have improved dramatically.

4. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Pigkiller,

I took your advice and ordered "Insight to Sports". Looked on Amazon where the price of this book ranged from $19.99 to $545.51! You can probably figure which copy I ordered.

Pat

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

What was the weather like on your poor days?

GB
    DLS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.