1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

considering selling my AR. Have a question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RobPete, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobPete

RobPete Member

I have a Rock River AR-15 that I built up and have used twice in over a year. I'm thinking it might be time to send it down the road. My question is should I sell it as is or part it out?

It's a rock river lower with a 2 stage NM trigger, A rock river tactical entry(M4) upper...Chromoly lined.

The upgrades include: RRA chromed bolt carrier group, Hogue grip, Magpul CTR stock w/cheek riser, BCM gunfighter charging handle, Daniel Defense omega handguard, Troy Industries folding rear battle sight, Eotech XPS2 holographic sight, single point sling, two Brownells mags, and a Midway case. I'm sure I'm missing a few things, but that's the bulk of it.

Thoughts please?

Thanks,
    Robpete

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

A price and pics could help. I have been thinking about getting one but just bought a new pistol. John

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You have much more in it than you will get out of it. You may recoup most of your money if you part it out.

I have built and sold a ton of them and have heard this many times. I generally tell folks who want a bunch of stuff added to their AR to not expect the gun to be worth what they put in it.

Lots of folks take a $750 AR and sink 2K in it. It is still a $750 rifle, unless you find a "Tactical Ted" (Mall Ninja).

4. RobPete

RobPete Member

John - I haven't decided on whether to sell yet. just trying to gather an opinion. When and if the time comes, I'll be sure to post very detailed photos on everything. Though I know I won't get all of my money back out of it, I have over $2,300 into it. That's why I wasn't sure if it would be better to part out or not. I have no experience with this sort of thing. I just started buying parts and got a little carried away.

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Not a problem, I will just be looking for a basic one anyway. The only way to come out on guns is usually to leave them as they came. I have been into pistols the last several years now and they are the same way. Good luck, John

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What Coach said!! It's a used AR worth roughly $750 with $1550 worth of used parts. Sucks but it's the truth. I have one too. No different than buying a work truck and customizing the crap out of it. When it's time to sell, it's still a W/T. Part it out in the For Sale section but remember the parts are used.

7. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

RobPete,

If you part it out or sale it all together, I would wait six months. Sell it as the election gets closer, there will most likely by a price jump. Worst case, you will not lose any value, my guess $1,500

5 Stand Dan

8. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

I got 1200 burning a hole in my pocket!!!!

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

dan has the right idea. the firearms industry reported record sales last month. people are getting their tax refunds and they're worried what obama might do with another four years. i'll bet it becomes a sellers market for black guns by november. and i'll bet black gun demand will exceed supply if obama gets reelected. i'd hang on to it. good luck with it

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mall Ninja. Now that's funny.

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

If Obama loses, will prices drop??

Or will there be a lot of stuff for sell on bulletin boards for a loooooooong time because stuff is priced so high?

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

probably and probably. remember clintons gun ban? little old ladies were buying ar-15's at premium prices just to have one before the federal "prohibition." wonder when they had heard that before? anyway, after bush 43 let the ban sunset, used gun owners were asking $1200 for ar's that colt was then selling new again for $800. but that's not the point: everybody should have at least one ar and about 2000 rounds of ammunition squirreled away somewhere. good luck with it

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

everybody should have at least one ar and about 2000 rounds of ammunition squirreled away somewhere.

What Quarter said!

14. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

two AR'S and more than enough ammo...heehee

waitin for Zombies!

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Don't discount the effect that redneck TV is having on gun sales.

So if Romney wins....the gun dealers lose their ability to cash in on zero.... again?????????? It seems zero is more of a friend to the gun dealers than they want to admit.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Bottom line is : many guys are tying to sell their garage built AR's for more than a brand new one from a decent maker. Good luck.....

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yup. The sum total of the parts is far in excess of the actual worth on the used gun market.

The only choice for trying to maintain any value is to strip the gun to the bare essentials for functionality, and sell the excess parts, which could fetch 25% to 75% of their value, depending on what they are.

Unless you can find someone who has a hole burning in their pocket. Given the amount of used ARs on the market, it might be a lengthy process trying to find the right buyer.

18. RobPete

RobPete Member

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Seems that if I sell as is, I take a big hit. If I strip the upgraded parts off, it's going to take forever to move everything. Way to o much effort for me. I think I'll just let it keep its place in lockdown purgatory......

19. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I just saw another thread with lowers for 99 bucks, how much should an upper go for? John

20. oz

oz Active Member

go to ar15.com that's where i would sell it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.